Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbling question..

Adrenaline

Hey so I've been reloading, didnt have a tumbler and was cleaning brass in hot water and dish soap then letting them dry. Now I'm tumbling in Lyman walnut media but not the red stuff. The tumbler I have is the Lyman 2500 magnum with the separator..is just separating the media from the brass sufficient enough or do I HAVE to wash them in water to get the dust out. I cannot even see the dust but there has to be a very small amount? What say you guys?

The dust acts as dry lube and does not interact with powder.  It's a good thing.

ALSO, just buy crushed walnut pet bedding at a pet store.  MUCH cheaper than buying something made by gun/ammo company.

Edited by IDescribe

A little dust is no big deal.  If dust becomes an issue for you some folks will put cut up used dryer sheets in with the brass when tumbling to capture some dust.  When I put car polish or mineral oil in my walnut media to rejuvenate it there is the added benefit of all dust going away.

If you have a Harbor Freight available you might find in the sand blast area walnut shells in a 25# box. Get the smaller size and you are good to go for a MUCH cheaper price for the quantity.  You might also try a well stocked 'Feed and Seed' store for pet bedding. 👆on what BJ said...cheap polish and cut up dryer sheets work great!!!

Untreated Walnut or Corn Cob...tumble, load, fire, repeat. 

The treated stuff like the Red (rouge) you should wash. There is an  Ammonia content in the rouge. Brass tumbled in that and left to sit for a period of time tends to develop the copper color blotches where the alloy is being etched and weakened. Considering the additive does not clean any better but rather just polishes more for shiny like new finish its not worth the rinsing effort. Brass comes out plenty clean with straight walnut and I dont care how shiny it looks....It will be tarnished again anyway!  

My decades old method is to run in walnut with a couple of teaspoons of mineral oil and then in corn with a couple of teaspoons of NuFinish car polish. Runs open top with no dust and is clean, shiny and slippery, ready to load, no lube needed. 

image37648.jpg?sid=bcad3495c249a1628dc37