Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson AR9, Banshee question and general clarity needed

Ok.. I need (want) something to stick my pile of Glock mags into and I can always use another division to frustrate me so I am buying a PCC. 

Questions: I live near Wilson combat and they have been nice enough to tempt me with some really awesome looking options for PCC.

Does anyone have experience with the AR9 from Wilson? I don’t see them out in the wild much. Is it a price thing or are they not the best option? 

Also, I REALLY want a 8inch barrel “Pistol” with a folding stock . . Is it true you cannot compete with this configuration? If so, outside of the ridiculous price could you build a two upper set up? Switch off to 16 for matches? Would there be tuning issues? 

How about the Banshee? 

Thank you n advance for your thoughts 

If the gun is a registered SBR, or has a -6” barrel? It is legal to shoot in USPSA.

Pistols of *any* type are not allowed to compete in PCC. 

You can build a flatter-shooting gun for a lot less. Even a top-tier build will cost similar and perform better than anything lacking a short-stroked recoil system and a heavy and/or hydraulic buffer system.

Buy a blem Quarter Circle 10 upper and lower, cram it full of JP bolt carrier group, shortstroke SCS, their barrel and trigger, and drop a magpul K2 grip and stock on it... then choose the carbon fiber handguard of your choice and slap a Holosun 510c on top. Done.

(Dozens of equally competitive combinations are out there with components from Faxon, MBX, and any number of other manufacturers. This is just an example of a top tier build everyone would agree WILL run flat and flawless right out of the box.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic
4 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

As far as the ridiculous price of having two uppers, just pay the $200 and get a short barrel rifle stamp. Then you can compete with it

Agree. It took 17 days for the ATF in approving my stamp I electronically filed. I e-filed it on Nov 12 and received approval on Nov 29. That’s 17 days with the thanksgiving holiday in between.

Whereas it takes 6-9 months if you do the paper/snail mail way of application.

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If the government is open for business. Lead times are a pinch longer right now, thanks to gentleman holding a temper tantrum in return for a wall. ;) 

That’s so true. I’m glad I did it back then or else it would have taken forever 😀.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 7:27 PM, GIO said:

Ok.. I need (want) something to stick my pile of Glock mags into and I can always use another division to frustrate me so I am buying a PCC. 

Questions: I live near Wilson combat and they have been nice enough to tempt me with some really awesome looking options for PCC.

Does anyone have experience with the AR9 from Wilson? I don’t see them out in the wild much. Is it a price thing or are they not the best option? 

Also, I REALLY want a 8inch barrel “Pistol” with a folding stock . . Is it true you cannot compete with this configuration? If so, outside of the ridiculous price could you build a two upper set up? Switch off to 16 for matches? Would there be tuning issues? 

How about the Banshee? 

Thank you n advance for your thoughts 

I live about 60 miles from Wilson Combat my self and have shot there AR9 for over a year.  At the time they didn't even have part numbers assigned to the maintenance parts IE firing pins, roll pins etc. I called and tried to order some roll pins for the extractor and spring powered ejector and was told that they didn't ship those parts and I would have to send my rifle in for them to put two roll pins in my bolt..............not kidding..........I said no thanks and bought a JP GMR-15.  Haven't shot the Wilson since and love the JP and it is a much better value.  Actual experience with both rifles now for over a year, I would buy the JP and not waste my money on the Wilson AR9.    

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:45 AM, 10cup said:

I live about 60 miles from Wilson Combat my self and have shot there AR9 for over a year.  At the time they didn't even have part numbers assigned to the maintenance parts IE firing pins, roll pins etc. I called and tried to order some roll pins for the extractor and spring powered ejector and was told that they didn't ship those parts and I would have to send my rifle in for them to put two roll pins in my bolt..............not kidding..........I said no thanks and bought a JP GMR-15.  Haven't shot the Wilson since and love the JP and it is a much better value.  Actual experience with both rifles now for over a year, I would buy the JP and not waste my money on the Wilson AR9.    

Was also thinking about a Wilson for no other reason than I'd like to have a Wilson firearm of some sort.  Aside from the bizarro maintenance issues, does the JP shoot better than the Wilson?   (dot rise/recoil impulse/reliability?)

The Wilson shoots very well but does not offer the adjustable buffer system that the JP has.  You can tune your Ammo for it however if you reload.  The Wilson is a good quality rifle and well balanced.  The JP is slightly heavier but well balanced as well.  Wilson has done some things to their rifle that makes getting parts available only from Wilson.  Their lower is not mill spec.  I found this out when I tried to put a different upper on it and the hole spacing is different.  The Wilson trigger is not nearly as good as the JP stock trigger. I tried a hyper fire trigger and it would not fit.   The Wilson buffer tube has a rubber bumper made into it that is not removable. I had to change the buffer tube in order to try the JP SCS buffer.  I just got frustrated with the Wilson.  No one makes a mag well for it either.