Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airline Travel With Weapons And Gear.

Flying to the 3-gun Nationals in Vegas. I have checked the rules for flying with weapons and the airline I am using allows for putting the rifle, shotgun, and pistol (unloaded) all in one case but the ammo. must be seperate.

What does everyone use for a case, and what do you use to transport ammo., range bag, and other gear you need for competition?

Looking for suggestions. I really like the looks of the SKB 4-gun case from Natchez, just need ideas for the rest of the equipment.

I took my rifle, shotgun, pistol, and a carry gun to Reno last year in a Pelican 1750 with two padlocks on it. We shipped some ammo, but took some in our suitcases, and returned with what was leftover the same way. I removed enough stuff from my rangebag and flattened it enough to get it in a suitcase. The airline allowed the guns, two suitcases, and a carry-on.

Sometimes I use my range bag as the 2nd checked bag and put my clothes, ammo, etc in there. Other times I'll use a big piece of luggage (one that has wheels on it) and put my ammo, shooting bag, gear, clothes, in it and use that as my 2nd piece of checked luggage. It really depends how long the match is and where I'm staying.

At the very least, I would print out your airline's, FAA's, and TSA's regs on flying with firearms and ammo and have them handy. When the TSA gets your bag, if they need to unlock it, make sure that they relock it before they put it on the coveyer belt.

I have a few comments from my recent flight on United to the RM3G match. I flew with an ICC 49" x 16" x 4.5" .08" thick alluminum with wheels case and a large suitcase for the rest of my stuff. I only took rifle ammo on the way there and no ammo back with me.

Flying out of San Jose I was asked how may guns I had in the case. After replying 3 she then asked if it was designed to hold 3. I of course answered yes. After consulting with her co-worker she decided it was OK. No attention was paid to the weight of the bags.

On the return flight from Denver, he didn't ask about the gun count but he did have me put the suitcase on the scale by itself. After removing a goretex jacket and another fleece jacket I came in half a pound under the 50lb limit.

The two airports had much different way of handling the gun case. When I arrived in Denver an employee brought out the case and checked that I was the owner before turning it over. In San Jose they just dump it into the oversized bin. Fortunately I knew where it was coming out, so I was there to pick it up immediately.

Louis

I recently traveled to Florida with my ccw gun and had two totally differnt expriences .First from detroit.Had to open both the suitcase and pistol case and show the chamber was clear.Then lock close and lock suitcase them what for it to go threw tsa.Also asked if ammo seprate and in o.e. boxes

Orlando the guy didn't even want to see it at all he acted scared sh!tless.Mark and tagged bag and off to tsa.Never asked about ammo . :blink:

Every time I've flown (including coming and going on the same airline) with firearms I've had a different experience. Most of the time, the people working the desk don't know their own or the FAA's regs. Heck, most of the time the TSA doesn't know what the regs are. Bring a copy of the airline's and FAA's regs with you.

The best was coming back from the SMM3G. I was taking the rental car bus to the terminal in Phoenix. Passenger on the bus saw my big Starlight case and wanted to know what was in it. I told him and what I was doing in Mesa and we had a very interesting conversation on practical rifle and shotgun shooting - and this was someone who never went shooting before and didn't know those kind of events were held.

The last two weekends I have flown into Ontario, CA and Houston, TX out of Salt Lake and like everyone else has mentioned every airport/airline employee handles it differently. Most of the time they just have me open the case right there and then they have me show them the weapon is empty and then I sign the form and put the slip on the top. In Houston they have me take my luggage back into a private corner and show the guy. As long as your weapons are empty and are in a hard locked case with no ammo then you are fine. If you are afraid of an employee stealing your guns make sure to get extra insurance. It is cheap and it is worth it.

As for ammo I learned a lot. The TSA/FAA has no limit as to how much ammo you can take on a plane BUT every airline has a very tight limit. Southwest was 11 pounds Continental is 12 pounds if I remember correctly. Basically plan for 10 pounds and under. That is of course assuming they know their employers rules. In the past I had never said anything because I didn't know the airlines had their own rules and I have taken a lot of ammo several times without a problem. Once I told an employee and everything fell apart. I had to have my sister drive back to the airport and pick up my ammo and once I got to California I had to buy more ammo. So in the future I will just ship it ahead of time. But if you forget to ship it and want to give it a chance just don't tell the airline employee you have it. After you check in your luggage wheel it over to the TSA and tell them instead. As long as it is in factory packaging in a seperate container from your guns you will be OK.

The best way is to plan ahead and ship your ammo ahead of time. And by ahead of time I mean plenty of time for it to get there by truck. Overnight only works on FedEx after you pay an additional $30 for hazardous material and then the weight of the ammo takes the price up a lot more.

-David

I would STRONGLY advise you take out the extra insurance. The airlines only cover so much (usually $2500/bag....and you must show proof of purchase when you file for anything over $100).

I had a STI EDGE and my carry glock stolen by TSA/FSS. and the airline bag reimbursment helped, but did not cover it all.

And just a note to make everyone happy.......there where 4 people involved....3 got fired......1 of the 3 got 2yrs probation......the TSA guy is still working.......I feel so much safer.

Yes there was ammo in the case with the firearms....which is legal.....and for 48hours after the lift of my guns.....the police taking the report and TSA taking a report.....neither seemed overly concerned that there firearms and ammunition accessable to the secure area of the airport........pretty scarey.

All I have to say.....it take the max insurance you can.....and you better have the receipts to prove the values.........

I work for a airline and will not travel with my guns anymore.......after all the crap that I had to go through....

As for ammo weight.......11 lbs is standard among airlines.......it is a airline/FAA thing.........it has nothing to do with TSA.

Ship it UPS Grd to the hotel.......that is easiest....then you will not overweight your bag (50lbs limit or you pay extra charge)

[Pedantic mode]

Just to clarify, one more time. Ammo weight inside the US is up to the airline. The FAA has nothing to do with it, though the airline reps sometimes claim they do. Internationally, there are some IATA regulations that basically equal 11 lbs, which almost all the airlines slavishly copy inside the US as well, 'cause they just don't care (Except for Alaska Airlines. 50 lbs for them. They have a clue why some people go to Alaska. See: Here)

[/pedantic]

What does everyone use for a case, and what do you use to transport ammo., range bag, and other gear you need for competition?

Looking for suggestions. I really like the looks of the SKB 4-gun case from Natchez, just need ideas for the rest of the equipment.

To answer your question:

I use one of my Starlight or Pelican cases. Both have wheels, which are a must. After that, I have one additional bag for my shooting bag, ammo and clothes. IF I'm going to a match that requires a lot of ammo, I'll just ship it to the MD/Range/hotel. The match director will usually have a location already in place to receive ammo & equipment for match participants.

I'm pretty sure Matt Burkett wrote a piece on this either on his website or here (or both). He suggests using a gold club case (hardside of course) to travel with. On some airlines (Southwest...WOOHOO!!!) they do not count recreational bags (i.e. golf club cases, ski bags, etc.) as part of your two checked in limit and that leaves you freed up for say another bag for your shooting gear & ammo and a third bag for clothes/personal items.

Bottom line. Check with your airline first. The one and only time I ever had a problem was flying to an A2 in Mesa out of San Francisco and it's because I was attempting to bring 700 rounds of ammunition with me (Tuesday night steel and Wednesday at Ben Avery then the match...HOOAH!). I knew it was wrong, they caught me. I checked my bags, 400 rounds in tow and walked to the FedEx shipping area and shipped the ammo to my then girlfriend in Phoenix. There it was at her apartment when we woke up in the morning. Gotta love good service.

Flying with firearms & ammo is not a big deal. Again, CHECK WITH YOUR AIRLINE, bring a copy of airline policy and TSA regulations with you and know the rules and be able to discuss them calmly and intelligently. Lastly, if you're still concerned, get the additional insurance. It's cheap.

Good luck,

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

• 6 months later...

So you normally get two checked in bags?

I'm thinking about travelling with a pistol disassembled. Say the frame and the slide separated. The frame in one checked-in luggage and the slide and ammo in the other. Declare the frame and ammo at check-in.

I figure for the unsavy TSA crook they won't be as tempted to steal the gun since it is incomplete.

The only thing bad I can think of is if the luggage is lost. If you have the gun in pieces and one of your luggage bags is lost you are SOL. But if you left it whole you have a 50/50 chance of being SOL if one of your bags gets lost.

What do you think?

The last two weekends I have flown into Ontario, CA and Houston, TX out of Salt Lake and like everyone else has mentioned every airport/airline employee handles it differently. Most of the time they just have me open the case right there and then they have me show them the weapon is empty and then I sign the form and put the slip on the top. In Houston they have me take my luggage back into a private corner and show the guy. As long as your weapons are empty and are in a hard locked case with no ammo then you are fine. If you are afraid of an employee stealing your guns make sure to get extra insurance. It is cheap and it is worth it.

As for ammo I learned a lot. The TSA/FAA has no limit as to how much ammo you can take on a plane BUT every airline has a very tight limit. Southwest was 11 pounds Continental is 12 pounds if I remember correctly. Basically plan for 10 pounds and under. That is of course assuming they know their employers rules. In the past I had never said anything because I didn't know the airlines had their own rules and I have taken a lot of ammo several times without a problem. Once I told an employee and everything fell apart. I had to have my sister drive back to the airport and pick up my ammo and once I got to California I had to buy more ammo. So in the future I will just ship it ahead of time. But if you forget to ship it and want to give it a chance just don't tell the airline employee you have it. After you check in your luggage wheel it over to the TSA and tell them instead. As long as it is in factory packaging in a seperate container from your guns you will be OK.

The best way is to plan ahead and ship your ammo ahead of time. And by ahead of time I mean plenty of time for it to get there by truck. Overnight only works on FedEx after you pay an additional $30 for hazardous material and then the weight of the ammo takes the price up a lot more.

-David