Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stippling textures

Bmeehan19

I am about to profile and stipple my SPS polymer grip. I know I can get cheap AR grips and practice every texture out there. This is an attempt to narrow the field before trying a few textures for my preference. Which textures do you find the best overall, grip vs meat grinder, for a limited gun?  Ive applied and held the tiny dot style stippling and it feels very grippy but that was on an AR mag. If you could attach an image of the texture you recommend that would be very helpful. I see the commercially available stippled grip that has large dots for the pattern. Not a huge fan of the look but there may be a reason for it, idk. 

Thanks in advance for your input. 

How aggressive do you want to go? I have an SPS grip I bought cheap, way different than the STI grip. What I mean is the SPS grip is easier to stipple. In my experience the SPS is softer when it comes to stippling. The STi is much harder, have to keep the heat on longer. I'll show you an example of the SPS that I was playing with. It is SUPER AGGRESSIVE! Must promise not to laugh, I was trying different tips, one being a bullseye. 58957611f109c194d128ab249c6c1d53.jpg84bf70ccce8770988059a4d824032353.jpg5c9f0b6873c298161f4dd06d4788051e.jpg660ef45540b069e9f26b7806cbb16e96.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ive tried a couple of the commercial grips but they just were not aggressive enough. I just apply a couple coats or JB weld

to a new grip, shape it, smooth it, and use the grip paper.  It is aggressive at first  but it does wear in and I don't need any chalk.  

That looks very similar to Extreme Shooters scaled texture which was not aggressive enough. The palm of my support hand still slipped when I applied pressure.  So I put JB weld on it and use  grip tape now.  One good thing about  grip tape is you can place it anywhere you need it.   

Edited by jwhittin

I spray a coat of paint, then drop playground sand on it.  Brush off the excess, then a finish coat of paint for uniform color.  That was sufficiently grippy for me, but you can vary the texture by the size of the sand you powder it with.  Kitty litter would probably work (haven't tried it) for those who want deep texture.  I like the simplicity - much less work than stippling.  It's also usable on any surface you can get paint to adhere to.

1 hour ago, Ronemus said:

I spray a coat of paint, then drop playground sand on it.  

Does that stay on with just paint for adhesive?  It seems like that would wear off in a heartbeat. 

Thanks for sharing. Did you end up going with that pattern on your final project?

Nope just wanted to try a different tip out. I ended up using an old SVI grip. 1st stippled then silicone carbide. 1st pic was a really light layer of adhesive, 2nd pics were after I added another coat. For my 1st try using silicone carbide i was happy. 4e952c2405f8424c45536d0589fac915.jpg54c78a7f5450fe6b461608eb2bbdc33a.jpgf17b4e9e1425e5c8e323add74bba7f43.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Kixx said:

Does that stay on with just paint for adhesive?  It seems like that would wear off in a heartbeat. 

I used Brownell's AlumaHyde II and haven't seen any wear on it.  Any paint designed to stick to plastic and metal would work.