Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIG P320 +5 Basepads

SuperAWE

Gun is a P320 RX 9mm. I have Taran Tactical +5 basepads on factory 17rd magazines with the Grams kit (11 coil spring and follower). I can only get 20 rounds in all the mags. Any tricks to get more. I see others getting 22-23 with this setup. Thanks

9 minutes ago, CZ173 said:

Are you loading by hand?
Hopefully you have a maglula.
Load them and wait a few days and try again

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Definitely maglula! Will load them up and let them simmer for a few days :) Thx

There can be some interference when the follower is pushed down to the point where the lower parts of the follower hit the transition between the mag tube and the base pad.

A little gentle beveling of that part of the follower was necessary on just about every mag I installed those base pads on.

8 hours ago, ddc said:

There can be some interference when the follower is pushed down to the point where the lower parts of the follower hit the transition between the mag tube and the base pad.

A little gentle beveling of that part of the follower was necessary on just about every mag I installed those base pads on.

++

I know it is a different platform but, I could never get 20 rounds into my .40 tanfo mags from Henning until I watched the video that they have on the website showing how to load 20 rounds. Once they get to 17 rounds in the video they bang the mag on a table and hit against their hand. They are able to stuff the extra rounds in that point. Actually does work....

Recommend checking out the video...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, alma said:

Use the Grams spring and follower kits. They are available from Springer Precision. With that spring kit and any of Springer Precision's 140 extensions I get 23 plus 1.

This. The thinner followers allow extra capacity because spring & follower smush down into a smaller stack. Spring helps ensure the last 6  rounds feed reliably because it still has some spring tension.

I run a Grams P320 spring & follower in my Walther. Well known mod. Grind the tab off that locks the slide open and stuff them in 15rd Walter mags with TTI +5 basepads. With Walther guts I get the advertised 20rds. With Grams’ guts for a P320 I get a very tight 23, and 22 easily reloadable.

I have literally never had a malfunction with those mags and have used them for over a year. No “oh but it was bad ammo” or “well the extractor was to blame” going on here. It’s been 100% flawless.

Also, with factory followers you’ll usually find it necessary to bevel the bottom edge 45 degrees all the way around. With almost any gun make, this allows the follower to make the transition down into the extension so you can fill it all the way. The bottom edge of your follower will generally hit the extension’s lip and cause a hard stop at 2 to 4 rounds past the magazine’s factory capacity. And even once they’re beveled, you may need to grab an UpLULA and give her a pretty hard shove.

Edited by MemphisMechanic