Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading for use in Glock Factory barrels

CT-Rick

Hello all, this has probably been addressed a ton on this forum (I searched but didn't find exactly what i was looking for) so I apologize in advance. I am relatively new to reloading (about 6 months) and just got myself a new Gen 5 Glock 19... I want to shoot my reloads through it but I enjoy having 10 fingers.... A few questions. Are ACME bullets, or any coated bullets, alright to run through a Glock barrel regardless of generation? How worried should I be about "Glocked" brass and KBs? I inspect my brass thoroughly and only reload my used brass or new Starline Brass case gauging every round. 40s&W and 45acp reloads ok through glock factory barrels??

Also, I have been using VV N320 and W231 and have been thinking about switching to Alliant Sport Pistol, thoughts? I load ACME almost exclusively..

Thank you all for your time and Happy New Year.

Hello all, this has probably been addressed a ton on this forum (I searched but didn't find exactly what i was looking for) so I apologize in advance. I am relatively new to reloading (about 6 months) and just got myself a new Gen 5 Glock 19... I want to shoot my reloads through it but I enjoy having 10 fingers.... A few questions. Are ACME bullets, or any coated bullets, alright to run through a Glock barrel regardless of generation? How worried should I be about "Glocked" brass and KBs? I inspect my brass thoroughly and only reload my used brass or new Starline Brass case gauging every round. 40s&W and 45acp reloads ok through glock factory barrels??

Also, I have been using VV N320 and W231 and have been thinking about switching to Alliant Sport Pistol, thoughts? I load ACME almost exclusively..

Thank you all for your time and Happy New Year.

Happy New Year!

Reloads should run just fine. KBs are all on you as a reloader although a VV is easier to spot a double charge with.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, CT-Rick said:

Thank you... I tend to load light 130-135 PF... 

I can't imagine any problem you could possibly have loading a .40 or .45 to PF 130'ish,

unless you have a squibb and manage to fire a live round behind a bullet stuck in

your barrel  (I learned the hard way that it is Very Smart to look into each and every

cartridge case BEFORE I seat a bullet, to make sure there is powder).     :) 

3 hours ago, chevrofreak said:

9mm brass is very thick at the case web, and 9mm chambers aren't that unsupported.  I have fired Hirtengerger L7A1 out of a stock Glock with no bulging.  Many of those cases have also been reloaded to 9major power levels. 

what is your opinion of 40 and 45?

I don't own a Glock, so take this with a grain of salt...but aren't the newer generation of Glocks supposed to have a more supported chamber? 

As for 9mm, as Chevrofreak said, the brass is very thick at the web. With 40 and 45, not so much, but 45 is a very low pressure round anyway, and millions upon millions of rounds of 40 have been shot through every generation of Glock. Kabooms are all on the reloader, not the gun.

With the loads you are talking about, I don't see any issue at all even in a 1st generation Glock unsupported barrel.

I had a kaboom with a Glock and uncloated cast lead. Blew the mag and mag release right out of the gun. Back then I used unique, so no chance of a double charge as 4.5g almost fills the whole case. Someone on here said I probably got bullet setback, not a true kaboom from leading in the barrel. Idk if that’s true or not. But I run plated only now through stock Glock barrels. 

As for coated lead, I think that should be fine. I ran lots of coated lead though mine prior to the kaboom. That day It blew up o was shooting some uncoated cast. I won’t do that again. But like polymer coated like the blues ran fine. Idk about hitek, but it should probably be fine. I don’t shoot stock Glock barrels to often, so buying plated isn’t that costly. 

If you're worried about a double charge just buy a buy an RCBS lockout die.  It will stop your press if it detects no powder or too much powder...or Hornady makes a powder cop die.

59 minutes ago, Yoakam said:

If you're worried about a double charge just buy a buy an RCBS lockout die.  It will stop your press if it detects no powder or too much powder...or Hornady makes a powder cop die.

I run a powder Check die. It’s caught 1 double charge, and some squibs. It’s worth it’s weight in gold. 

• 1 year later...