Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best practices for DVC Limited use

Shrek1

To keep it running smooth all you really need to do is take the slide off, wipe down the rails and inside of the slide, then I clean the outside of the barrel, lugs hood etc again just a quick wipe, relube the rails and upper and lower lugs and hood. I put a thin layer around the barrel itself too. I basically clean it exactly like I did my Glock, and lube all the same places. But I put a decent amount more lube on the 2011 then I did my glocks. Clean the chamber and ramp too. But I don’t clean the bore every time I clean the rest. Since I field strip and clean and relube basically after every time I shoot, which usually means about 300-400rds. 

This often isn’t necessary. I did a little torture test few weeks ago, 3 days 1200rds total no cleaning or lubing and it ran perfectly. But I like to keep my guns clean, and I only get to shoot once or twice a week so I have plenty of time to clean them. When I move to my new 15 acre property and get to shoot everyday I probably won’t be cleaning them more then once a week. 

I think detail stripping every 2500-5000rds is a good interval. Check for wear and stuff too. 

Edited by Jfitz427

28 minutes ago, superluckycat said:

I disassemble, clean and lube mine about every 1000 rounds.  In between I just wipe off the gunk (Titegroup, nuff said) and keep it lubed.

I run titegroup too. It just leaves a layer of gunk everywhere, but it’s super easy to wipe off. 

Our local range is like shooting at the beach and a quarry pit. It's all loose sandy soil and just loose dirt. If it's real windy, all your gear ends up with a coating of fine dust. 

I take apart my mags after each stage, and empty out any sand that gets in there when you drop the mags during a reload. If not, the sand gets in there, and can stop the follower from moving up, especially in single stack mags. 

As for the gun itself, I keep it well oiled with Mobil 1 oil. Probably more so than you normally would. This keeps everything moving, especially in the heat of summer. Never found the need to disassemble the gun. The sand and dirt aren't getting in the gun, unles you drop it. But I'll wipe the external surfaces with a rag, and especially the inside of the holster. Get enough dust and grit inside it, and it'll start to wear the finish off the gun from all the drawing and reholstering of the gun.