Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alpha X holster issue - gun stuck sometimes on draw

abigger04

I upgraded to the X from RM (PT insert) and it was fine until switched to a gun with the PT classic grip. I have the thigh pad and actually put a little lube on it and it is better. May mess with cant later. 

On 1/13/2019 at 7:36 AM, Posvar said:

I upgraded to the X from RM (PT insert) and it was fine until switched to a gun with the PT classic grip. I have the thigh pad and actually put a little lube on it and it is better. May mess with cant later. 

Did you put lube on the insert?

20 hours ago, Posvar said:

Yes I did. Just a small amount of Alpha Sauce and it’s way better now and has stayed that way for at least 100 draws 

Cool will try that just to be safe...thanks.

10 minutes ago, Posvar said:

I also put a very small amount on the actual metal grip trigger guard portion of my gun that makes contact. Super slick now. I do think it will wear in over time as well. 

Thanks again...will give it a bit there as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue with Alpha X   I bought the damn thigh pad and it still has a bit of a hitch every few draws. Very disappointed in this overpriced POS. $200 and I have to take it apart and file it to make it work as intended? 

Buy kydex fellas. 

16 hours ago, Corrado_kid said:

So it’s a little off topic of the double alpha X, but when I was looking to buy a race holster ended up going with Everglades. It sits slightly lower the the X and has a smooth draw with no hang up. I’m not quite sure how to upload a pic on here. 

Not hard to upload...have your wife do it....interested to see pictures of it.

• 6 months later...
On 1/9/2019 at 6:39 PM, JJB05 said:

Well just went through a full dry-fire session and i can happily report that i did not have any sticking issues now that the DAA thigh pad was installed...simple snap-on part and the situation is fixed...what a load off my mind now...thanks for all the input from everyone.  If you have an Alpha-X holster and are experiencing the gun sticking when you draw order this now and it will solve the issue, especially if you have a steel gripped gun. They should include this with the holster.

•  

I wish the DAA person who checked my order for a complete Alpha X set over the phone suggested the thigh-pad when I asked for anything else I should add, so that I wouldn't have to place another order just for it. After reading all those comments, I am totally convinced that I should have added the thigh-pad in my order. It totally makes sense to me that the thigh-pad will give more stable support and easier drawing. For a (high-end) race holster, this is something that shouldn't be neglected. It's an inexpensive plastic piece, I do agree with everyone else that it should be included in the basic packaging. 

Edited by jmoon

I had an original style race master body and purchased a PT block for it when they first became available a few years ago. Block worked fine in that body.  At the beginning of last season I upgraded to the Alpha X body and was experiencing random binding on the draw. I picked up the new PT block a couple months ago and haven’t experienced it since. Very smooth now and a lot more forgiving if the holster angle is slightly off. 

Old style on left. 

4A9B70D7-B69C-4658-B669-7E15DDF9B4F1.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 9:01 AM, robb315 said:

I had an original style race master body and purchased a PT block for it when they first became available a few years ago. Block worked fine in that body.  At the beginning of last season I upgraded to the Alpha X body and was experiencing random binding on the draw. I picked up the new PT block a couple months ago and haven’t experienced it since. Very smooth now and a lot more forgiving if the holster angle is slightly off. 

Old style on left. 

4A9B70D7-B69C-4658-B669-7E15DDF9B4F1.jpeg

That’s interesting. First time I’ve heard that to be part of the issue.

Will you upload more photos of the new style Phoenix trinity block so I can compare it to the one I’m using?

I struggled with it sticking when I first started using it if it got dirty at all. Added the thigh support(sub 10 bucks) and the muzzle support(10ish bucks) and have been trouble free since. I think it’s a solid holster with those two additions. A buddy has the Everglades and it is very smooth just not a fan of the way it looks and the lock method didn’t seem as secure(I didn’t mess with it much so the lock may very well be sufficient). Give the thigh pad and muzzle support a try. Shooters connection stocks both