Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How thick is bullet plating?

duckhammer

8 hours ago, duckhammer said:

Anybody know the thickness from the different companies?

Berry's, X-Treme, Rainier.

Common plated plinking bullets are .003 - .005 for your lighter pistol calibers, and thicker for magnum and rifle bullets, etc..

Plated heavy duty service bullets like Speer Gold Dots are considerably thicker. 

The three you mentioned each tell you how thick the plating is.   Of the three mentioned, Rainier has always given me the best accuracy.  X-Treme is next, only because I don't use Berry's.  Berry's are oversized, so they get swaged down in the Lee CFCD.  That affects accuracy.  Berry's and X-Treme both make heavier plate bullets for velocities up to 1500FPS.  Berry's calls theirs Thick Plate.  X-Treme calls theirs HPCB for Heavy Plate Conical Base.

30 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Does it really matter?? Have we not established in multiple other threads that plated bullets are not less expensive than jacketed bullets and typically provide inferior accuracy?

Maybe some like paying the same price for a product that has less performance...

As it turns out, a lot of what are advertised as "FMJ" bullets are really plated.  CCI Blaze Brass and Independence Aluminum Case ammo (also made by CCI), both stated as FMJ on their boxes, are plated, not really jacketed.   

This was confirmed by a CCI tech service rep when I called to ask why  both ammo boxes state; "Do not use in firearms with ported barrels ported recoil  compensators."   The CCI tech  told me the plating is thin and may be cut through by the rifling leading to fragments of the plating being spit sideways from the ports or compensator vents.  

Great. So now I have about 2000 9 mm 115 gr factory rounds I can't use in my PCC.

14 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

Common plated (top) VS PD FMJ (bottom).

84E14086-63DC-421F-B93B-FC4EAAB65ECD.jpeg

Notice the true FMJ is open at the base so the hot powder gasses contact the lead core.  That's one reason why most  major load shooters prefer JHP bullets since the jacket covers the base.  Montana Gold does sell a fully enclosed jacketed round nose by adding a disk of jacket material that covers the base

1 hour ago, SteelCityShooter said:

Notice the true FMJ is open at the base so the hot powder gasses contact the lead core.  That's one reason why most  major load shooters prefer JHP bullets since the jacket covers the base.  Montana Gold does sell a fully enclosed jacketed round nose by adding a disk of jacket material that covers the base

Exposed lead bases are a non-issue unless being used in a compensated (Open) gun. 

Major PF in Limited guns or other non-comped pistols is fine.  

Im not a fan of two part jackets. JHPs can be had cheaper, and are usually more accurate.