Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training transitions at an indoor range

shootmove

For some of us, it's easier to get to a single lane at an indoor range, than it is to get to an outdoor range. One challenge, then, is to train transitions. Here are a few principles and techniques that I've found useful.

• Size is inversely proportional to distance. So, for instance, a 3" sticker at 15 feet, simulates a 6" target at 30 feet. (3"/6" = .5, so .5 * 30 feet = 15 feet => 3" at 15 feet appears the same to the eye as 6" at 30 feet)
  • 3" circular stickers can be purchased for 2-3 cents each. These are excellent for simulating plate racks, setting up multi-target drills, etc.
  • It is possible to trace a miniature USPSA target with a sharpie, but I found this cumbersome and prefer to use the stickers instead
  • You can use vertical strips of black tape, say in a row of five (as Miculek shows) to simulate transition and allow for elevation but not windage slop (similar to USPSA A zones)
  • Some ranges will let you hang a USPSA target sideways, so that you can space your targets out more

One gotcha:

• Point of impact / point of aim differs at close range. E.g. if you simulate a 6" plate rack at 30 feet with 1" dots at 5 feet, point of impact differs :(, and you'll generally shoot low on a center hold. For this reason, I recommend shooting the largest targets that you can (e.g. 3" dot over 1" dot).

If anyone finds a good rectangular sticker with the same shape as the USPSA A box, please post below. I believe the A box is 10cm x 28 cm. So a 1" x 3" or 2" x 6" sticker would be nice. Similarly if anyone finds USPSA-target-shaped stickers.

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Some great ideas.     :cheers:

Also better to use the small, scaled targets than shooting at an entire target.

The Dot Torture Drill would also be a possibility ….    :) 

Are there any small, scaled targets that you recommend? I briefly checked the (auto-generated?) links but there was nothing in the "small, scaled" category that I could see.

6 minutes ago, tanks said:

I find the restrictions on rate of fire more limiting for practicing transitions than the size of .targets at an indoor range.

At least around here, when they hear rapid fire you’ll feel them come peek over your shoulder. When they find a solid shooter missing by an inch shooting the dots, and not a novice sending rounds into the ceiling? They keep moving.

If they don’t? I’d find a new range.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

10 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

At least around here, when they hear rapid fire you’ll feel them come peek over your shoulder. When they find a solid shooter missing by an inch shooting the dots, and not a novice sending rounds into the ceiling? They keep moving.

If they don’t? I’d find a new range.

I did, as here in CA none of the public ranges tolerate "rapid" fire. Heck, I got warned a few times during my last CCW qualification for shooting too fast even though in reality I was shooting slowly (probably .5 - .75 sec a round) as the range did not like it and this was an outdoor range.

Joined a private club. An hour and a half drive each way but I can get my own bay and set up  multiple targets etc..

On 12/23/2018 at 6:49 PM, shootmove said:

If anyone finds a good rectangular sticker with the same shape as the USPSA A box, please post below. I believe the A box is 10cm x 28 cm. So a 1" x 3" or 2" x 6" sticker would be nice. Similarly if anyone finds USPSA-target-shaped stickers.

I ended up taking a bunch of garbage faxes from work and printing the A Box (the top borders obviously don't fit but I don't think it's a big deal). Very handy if your job doesn't care about printing stuff . . . "seriously, man . . . what's up with these printouts of lines? You printed like 50 of these."

I can usually place two side-by-side on the average target backer. The one "gotcha" here is that two (or four) A-zones as seen the video will never be that close together at a match. I also ended up stapling four on the slightly farther target because there's a 20 minute firing period. I guess that's the downside for outdoor public ranges with one line.

On 12/27/2018 at 8:01 PM, tanks said:

I did, as here in CA none of the public ranges tolerate "rapid" fire. Heck, I got warned a few times during my last CCW qualification for shooting too fast even though in reality I was shooting slowly (probably .5 - .75 sec a round) as the range did not like it and this was an outdoor range.

Joined a private club. An hour and a half drive each way but I can get my own bay and set up  multiple targets etc..

CA is a big state. I guess I got lucky being a bit north of you as the RSO's end up giving it the same judgement call as Memphis mentioned. The only weird look I got after running this drill several times was from an FBI Employee/Agent who was there with her friends.

On 1/2/2019 at 6:58 AM, rowdyb said:

I buy paper full size uspsa targets for indoor training. Run them out 10 or 15 yards. I do my shots on it and them aim. I repeat just aim, at other targets in other lanes and then back to mine. 

no facsimile just an actual transition. 

That's a great tip on aiming on another lane's target (without taking shots, of course).

• 3 weeks later...

SLOSA near San Luis Obispo is okay with rapid fire provided that you can clearly control it. I don't actually do any holster work there, though.

Edit: I mean . . . they've never asked me to stop shooting rapidly. Most of the RO's end up asking if I have Apex parts in my gun.

Edited by Rez805

Hey all. I found a 1/3 scale printable target online. I printed off a few and used them at the indoor range today. Setup at 10 feet to simulate 10 yards. Worked well for doing double drills.

Thought I'd share with you all.

http://www.waltinpa.com/targets/USPSA%20Target%20-%20One%20Third.pdf

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk