Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 precision bolt gun

mwenger

I'm thinking about doing a .223 bolt gun.  It would mostly just be for range use out to 600+ yards.  Do you think it is better to start off with something like a remington 700 sps tactical and then add a new stock and trigger as I go, or just buy something off the shelf that is already completed?  I'd like to keep the rifle itself under about $1600, so I know that eliminates the possibility of anything custom.  I had been considering a Bergara HMR Pro or just building up a rem 700/tikka t3x varmint and then upgrading the stock.  Do you think it is just a matter of personal preference at that point is would one option be a clear winner?

Tikka T3X Varmint in a KRG Bravo is hard to beat after you get the barrel threaded. Howa was coming out with a 223 Bravo last time I talked to them. The 223 RPR's are going dirt cheap right now and is the only one with a 1 in 7" twist which is ideal for the bullet weights you can utilize in a bolt gun. The HMR Pro is pretty great out of the box, great trigger, good accuracy reputation, servicable stock, smooth action, threaded barrel.

Remington is stuck in 1986 so plan on getting a trigger that doesn't feel like breaking a newborn babies fibula and a faster twist barrel if you want to shoot 75+ grain bullets. Which you do, since you said 600+ yards.

There is no clear winner here, but there is an obvious loser.

Edited by TonytheTiger

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/27/2019 at 8:26 AM, xSTONESx said:

I chose to have a local smith Blue print and true a 700 action and chamber a premium barrel.  If I had to do it all over again, I'd pick up a RPR 223 and call it a day.

Pretty much. 

Only real reason I went with the 700 is because I’m looking to do my own work. And, I now barrel my own. 

Unless ash you’re looking for a serious custom, the RPR is tough to beat.