Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170mm Mag. tuning.

cconnection

So just for the hell of it I put the taran follower and spring into my 140mm 9mm sti mags. Same thing happens to me sometimes. A round gets passed the follower and causes a salt shaker. With grams this isn’t a problem and works perfect. It sucks because I can get 25  rounds in the mag reloadable, super easy to reload with 24. Idk why it happens sometimes. If it didn’t, I’d put these in all my 9 mags. I’ve read that taran/bolen followers don’t work well in sti mags without modification. 

For those following or having trouble tuning their 170 mm 9/38 mags.  I have on and off had mag's that would lock back with one round still in mag.  thought it was follower but follower was not contacting the barrel link pin at all? This problem moved into mag's with tti follower.   Found with the TTI Follower that the angle would push the final round left and the round would push pin into lock?   This did not happen with grams followers or the original STI follower?  

9 hours ago, Sarge said:

Yep, they flip when they drop below the ribs at the bottom.

But the ribs on the gen 2s go basically all the way to the bottom. Hell they go lower then the ribs on the old  SV mags. It’s weird though it only happened once, the first time I tried loading them after assembling the mag. Then I took it apart and got the round out and loaded them again and it didn’t happen. I’m gonna load and unload them a few more times and see if it was just a fluke. Cause 25rds reloadable is great, or 24 for easy speed reloads. With the grams follower it’s 23, and not even as easy to reload as 24 was with the TTI. 

8 hours ago, cconnection said:

Are you tuning 170's or 140's?  

I was just messing around, not tuning anything, all my mags run well. I have the TTI follower and spring in some 40 mags to get 21rds reloadable. So I was wondering how many I could get in a 9mm 140 with it, since it always seems to add one more round, and it did, actually over a round. I can barely lock the mag in the gun with 24 with grams s&f, with the TTI I could lock it in easier with 25. 

I do have thd TTI spring and follower in one of my mbx 170s, and I can get 30 s rounds it for starts. No problems with rounds getting under the follower in that mag body. 

Edited by Jfitz427

1 hour ago, Jfitz427 said:

But the ribs on the gen 2s go basically all the way to the bottom. Hell they go lower then the ribs on the old  SV mags. It’s weird though it only happened once, the first time I tried loading them after assembling the mag. Then I took it apart and got the round out and loaded them again and it didn’t happen. I’m gonna load and unload them a few more times and see if it was just a fluke. Cause 25rds reloadable is great, or 24 for easy speed reloads. With the grams follower it’s 23, and not even as easy to reload as 24 was with the TTI. 

Didn’t realize this was with gen 2. Those followers are just super thin. Biggest change  MBX MADE from gen 1 to gen 2 was adding more material to their follower because tended to flip in /389mm

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Didn’t realize this was with gen 2. Those followers are just super thin. Biggest change  MBX MADE from gen 1 to gen 2 was adding more material to their follower because tended to flip in /389mm

They work perfect with 40, 21rds reloadable with flawless reliability so far. Only problem is they’re so small they tend to stick out of the feed lips. I can easily pull the follower though. With 9 they stay below the feedlips much better, but the  salt shaker happens. Im gonna stick with grams, 23-24rds in a 140 is enough. I have big sticks too.

23 hours ago, Sarge said:

And that change currently causes me more trouble than it is worth.  The follower rubs against the inside walls of the mag until you get 6-7 rounds in.  Plus, you lose capacity.  I have 2 155s and 1 170, all Gen2.  When I first opened the mags I noticed the followers were not the same.  The 155s both had the green Gen2 follower.  The 170 came with a Universal follower which I believe is Gen2.  While loading the first time (to condition the mags) I started with the 170.  29 rounds went in easy peasy, with a little room to spare.   Neither of the 155s would take more than 25 rounds no matter how many times I tried.  I unloaded the 170, put that spring and follower into a 155 and immediately got 26 in, with a little room to spare.  I ordered two more Universal followers.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off, but I simply do not understand this obsession with one extra round in a mag.  Outside of monster matches, I can count on two fingers the times that would have helped.  Three of the clubs I routinely shoot at only have 5 or 6 bays.  So they run big stages (28-32) and  design them in a way that ensures Open shooters have to cover the same ground as Production shooters.  There are always swingers, disappearing targets, steel or Texas Stars involved.  So the idea of starting a 30 round stage with 30+1 is weird to me.  I'd have no margin for error and a miss of two probably means a mag change at an inopportune time.  Also a distraction, because it wasn't planned.  Since I'm covering a lot of ground, there is always a spot, or several, when I can change mags without costing time.  I like the insurance.