Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170mm Mag. tuning.

cconnection

I recently tuned my 140mm 40 mags with Taran Tactical Springs, followers and base pads. The SVI tubes loaded to 21, the STI mags loaded to 20.  All worked well.  Went to tune 170mm 9mm mags all nothing went right.  The small taran tactical follower would allow a round to slip past when attempting to load to capacity??  then it was a mess coming back.  I tried the standard follower and they worked, but could not get 30 rounds in any STI Mag.  I Switched back to the Grams follower, with Taran Tact. Spring and they worked but could not get more than 28 in an STI tube.  I have several SVI tubes with Grams followers that take 30?  Has anyone else had any luck with the Taran tactical small follower?

Are you talking about the ultra thin +1 followe? Or the universal? I just put some of the ultra thin +1s in my 40 mags and got 21. Ran perfectly too through 300 . rounds. I have the same one in an mbx 170 and I get 30rds. But To be perfectly honest my luck with sti 9/38 mags isn’t as good as the 40 s mag. Not terrible by any means, but occasional nose dives, maybe one out of a few hundred rounds. But I like 100% reliability. 

I've been running TTI internals and basepads with SV tubes for years in both 40 and 9/38 with much success.  My guess would be that there is an issue dimensionally with that particular tube.  Did you only experience that problem with one tube?  Just curious if it was with only the one tube which was an STI correct?  Also, was that tube the "old" style or new?

I don't know anyone running 30 in big sticks.  I've heard it's possible but reliability is questionable, and it certainly won't be reloadable.  I would aim for 29 with full reliability.  I use MBX 170s that run 29 reliably from the factory.  I have a couple 170 STI Gen 2s that I will mess with by putting Grams guts in and a TTI base plate to see what I can get.

I have shot with top open shooter and they will have a couple mags that will run 30, crazy trying to find secret, because I have a couple SVI mags that hold 30 ( always start with them so reloadable not an issue ) follow-up mags are down-loaded for ease.  But when I try and take one that will only hold 29, change out some parts, and still only get 29??? Does anyone know the secret to 30??

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:21 PM, Jfitz427 said:

Are you talking about the ultra thin +1 followe? Or the universal? I just put some of the ultra thin +1s in my 40 mags and got 21. Ran perfectly too through 300 . rounds. I have the same one in an mbx 170 and I get 30rds. But To be perfectly honest my luck with sti 9/38 mags isn’t as good as the 40 s mag. Not terrible by any means, but occasional nose dives, maybe one out of a few hundred rounds. But I like 100% reliability. 

yes the Ultra thin+1!!! Same thing, worked great in 40 mags ( SVI mags got 21 ) But same thing having trouble with 9mm, have not started playing with 38 super mags ( may not ) 

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:32 PM, Glk21C said:

Better check the internal width of that tube.  That tti follower having a round slip past it is a precursor to it happening with other s&f combos 

I have checked them, and they are in tolerance, and they drop free??  Plus when I put grams follower on TTI spring loaded fine to 28?  My mistake may have been to cut the little nub off the front left corner ( that should be for lock back ) which I did not want??  It seems the Ultra-thin follower wanted to catch in the slot for the mag catch when the nub was not cut off??  

3 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I have 170mm SPS tubes tuned by Beven Grams. They hold 30 9mm and are "loadable" (if you are paying attention 😉 ) Using Grams springs and followers, naturally...

I had Grams springs and followers and could not even get close to 30 with STI tubes, that is why I was trying the Taran Tactical.  They claim their spring will stack inside each other requiring less space for the spring??  

29 - 9's or 38sc STI tubes with grams or TTI springs and followers, Dawson or TTI bases

and they run without issue.

Chased the 30 round mags: a few years ago, finally got one that ran.

then figured out even on a 28 round stage it really didn't matter.  IF there was no smooth reload spot the stage seemed

to be all paper without the need for a lot of make ups.

If it was  stage with lots of opportunity for make ups there was an easy spot to reload without causing a time delay.

Summary: I don't care anymore if the mags only hold 29!

9 hours ago, cconnection said:

I have checked them, and they are in tolerance, and they drop free??  Plus when I put grams follower on TTI spring loaded fine to 28?  My mistake may have been to cut the little nub off the front left corner ( that should be for lock back ) which I did not want??  It seems the Ultra-thin follower wanted to catch in the slot for the mag catch when the nub was not cut off??  

I just filed off enough it wouldn't drag. I did have one that did the same, and would let a round slip past the follower, after I took to much of the nub off. Replaced the follower and filed less off, ran like a champ since. I can get 29 in on and 30 in one...30 rounder is hit and miss. Both run great at 29.

These big sticks are frustrating, I will try and file less off the left corner, but still hit or miss to get to 30... In our area ( western Washington) it seems that 30 to 32 are some of there favorite round counts in a stage.  So the guys that can load to 30 + 1 have huge advantage on the 30 round stage.  Any other manufacturer that offers what Taran Tactical is offering?  Their springs are definitely wider at bottom and narrower toward top. 

This seems like it would open up space ???  The follower is next.  Taran ultra thin worked great in 40 mags, but not having the same luck with the big sticks.  

16 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

29 - 9's or 38sc STI tubes with grams or TTI springs and followers, Dawson or TTI bases

and they run without issue.

Chased the 30 round mags: a few years ago, finally got one that ran.

then figured out even on a 28 round stage it really didn't matter.  IF there was no smooth reload spot the stage seemed

to be all paper without the need for a lot of make ups.

If it was  stage with lots of opportunity for make ups there was an easy spot to reload without causing a time delay.

Summary: I don't care anymore if the mags only hold 29!

I'm beginning to feel the same,  I have been chasing the 30 only because I see guys that can, they share their secret ( like taran ) but it seems to only work on the rare occasion??

30 minutes ago, cconnection said:

These big sticks are frustrating, I will try and file less off the left corner, but still hit or miss to get to 30... In our area ( western Washington) it seems that 30 to 32 are some of there favorite round counts in a stage.  So the guys that can load to 30 + 1 have huge advantage on the 30 round stage.  Any other manufacturer that offers what Taran Tactical is offering?  Their springs are definitely wider at bottom and narrower toward top. 

This seems like it would open up space ???  The follower is next.  Taran ultra thin worked great in 40 mags, but not having the same luck with the big sticks.  

MBX?

On 12/17/2018 at 9:32 PM, Glk21C said:

Better check the internal width of that tube.  That tti follower having a round slip past it is a precursor to it happening with other s&f combos 

On 12/19/2018 at 12:51 AM, cconnection said:

I've been looking for this text, found it, here it is:

·         You need to measure the inside of the tube between the control ribs.  The ideal width between the control ribs is 0.815” for

typ. Reloaded ammo, no narrower than 0.790”, no wider than 0.825” and keep tube square.  Too narrow left to right and there is less capacity.  Too wide left to right and the rounds can start to stack incorrectly and bind on each other.  Squeezing a tube in a smooth face vise is doable, but if needing to squeeze it you have to go further than what is needed for the metal to take a new shape.  Need to be very careful. 

10 minutes ago, Glk21C said:

I've been looking for this text, found it, here it is:

·         You need to measure the inside of the tube between the control ribs.  The ideal width between the control ribs is 0.815” for

typ. Reloaded ammo, no narrower than 0.790”, no wider than 0.825” and keep tube square.  Too narrow left to right and there is less capacity.  Too wide left to right and the rounds can start to stack incorrectly and bind on each other.  Squeezing a tube in a smooth face vise is doable, but if needing to squeeze it you have to go further than what is needed for the metal to take a new shape.  Need to be very careful. 

ATLAS Gunworks has some videos out on STI Gen2 tubes and how to tune them. I have 2 more tubes on the way that will have to be tuned. I currently have 2-170s and 6 140s all tuned to the ATLAS dimensions with TTI springs and followers and they all run great. 

12 hours ago, TRPOperator said:

ATLAS Gunworks has some videos out on STI Gen2 tubes and how to tune them. I have 2 more tubes on the way that will have to be tuned. I currently have 2-170s and 6 140s all tuned to the ATLAS dimensions with TTI springs and followers and they all run great. 

Good information, I will check.  Are you running standard or ultra thin followers?