Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics G17 for my sons.

Aircooled6racer

Hello: Well the time has come that my sons want to try some USPSA matches. I have a Glock G17 gen 2 I would like to convert to a carry optic pistol. I would like to get a slide and other parts to use a RMR type mount for the dot. What would you guys suggest? I appreciate any info to get this project started. I am not sure if I will create a monster who wants to shoot matches all the time with me. It would be great! Thanks, Eric

Hello: Well the time has come that my sons want to try some USPSA matches. I have a Glock G17 gen 2 I would like to convert to a carry optic pistol. I would like to get a slide and other parts to use a RMR type mount for the dot. What would you guys suggest? I appreciate any info to get this project started. I am not sure if I will create a monster who wants to shoot matches all the time with me. It would be great! Thanks, Eric
Cmore rts2 or Vortex Venom are good choices for red dot.

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

If you want to buy a slide already milled, Brownells has a pretty good deal, but you'll be limited to RMR footprint, so Holosun 107 or Trijicon, not considered the best for matches.

You could get a non optic ready one and send it off to be cut, adds some to the price. Lone Wolf will cut theirs for any optic but not much/any savings.

Delta Point Pro still seems to be the leader in CO. I use a Viper on mine, and can't recommend it.

You can take the rear sight  off your G17 and put on a dovetail mount like the one in my October 31st post in the Enlarging Grip thread. It’s a Dueck Defense mount that came in a package price with the Leopold Delatpoint Pro. Using my iPad the Forum won’t let me copy and paste the photo from the other thread. 

I had a Gen 3 G17 milled for a Deltapoint Pro by Lone Wolf for like $120.00.

Sits as low as a DPP can on a Glock, works well enough. No issues.

You can get Armand Swenson slides from MidwayUSA.com for $160.00 if you don't want to cut the original slide, but then you're getting it milled, buying internals and your price goes up. Soon you're near the GSSF cost for a MOS Gen 4 gun.

One caveat; I asked Lone Wolf to leave the rear sight dovetail, they did, but the cut went to the edge of the firing pin block plunger. When the dot was mounted, it interfered with the firing pin block, causing the gun to act like a G18 (the plunger movement being limited pressed down on the trigger bar just the right amount to make it full auto and not detonate. The firing pin didn't go forward until the slide stopped its forward motion). I had to file a small notch on the front edge of the DPP to prevent this from happening, and it's not fine, and as long as you don't have them keep the rear sight dovetail not an issue. I notified Lone Wolf, so they probably won't save a rear dovetail for a DPP cut on a G17.

In safety testing it, I knew something wasn't right, so the full auto wasn't as much of a surprise is it could have been. The gun was surprisingly controllable in full auto. 

Hello: I went with a Brownells G17 RMR slide that are on sale right now with another 10% off and free shipping. I just ordered the Holosun 507C to try since I really like the 510C on my open pistol and PCC's. I have most of the spares for the slide except a couple of small parts. I also have a really good trigger I did years ago that is under 3 pounds. I have lots of magazines and all the other stuff I will need for Carry Optics. So now to get the boys out to shoot it and maybe I will get a chance also. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Picked up some more parts today and hopefully the slide and red dot will be here Friday. I have to check on the rules to see what I can and can't do to the frame and weight wise. I still want to check out a Glock Gen 5 to see if the grip and magwell area is that much better. Most stages will require one reload so I have to see which magazine setup hold the most rounds. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Well tested some magazine extensions tonight. The Magpul 17 round with the Zev extension does not fit the gauge so it will be for PCC. The Arredondo holds 23, Magpul 21, TTI 22 and the Zev on factory Glock 17 holds 22. I didn't have a Dawson on hand but think it holds 22 as well. Thanks, Eric

Hello: The Magpul 21 round mags only hold 21 rounds. I will take one apart tomorrow to see what is stopping them from holding more. It could be the spring or the base plate. Yes they do fit the gauge since I have an EGW gauge to test my mags with. It is the base plate insert. FOUND IT--It has a guide for the spring on the bottom to hold the spring in place. If you cut that off it may give you one more. I am not really worried about it since there is always places to reload now or you could just reload to one of those. Start with 23 +1 and reload to a shorter magazine or whatever you load faster to.  Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

Hello: I have only shot about 30 rounds using the Holosun 507C so far since it started to rain here today while I was trying to sight it in. I can say that I like it more than a Burris Fastfire, JP and a Vortex Viper I have had in the past. The larger window port and very clear dot work very well. I am going to try some drills using the circle and just the dot. I think the circle dot together is too busy for me. The only Delta points I have shot have been on other peoples pistols. With so many of those in the past going bad I am kinda scared to try one. I didn't like the RMR window and still wish C-More or somebody would make a small red dot with a round lens. Not everyone shoots these on rifles. Still working up loads and playing with fire control setups. The kids may not see this one for a while since I am enjoying shooting it. Thanks, Eric

4 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I have only shot about 30 rounds using the Holosun 507C so far since it started to rain here today while I was trying to sight it in. I can say that I like it more than a Burris Fastfire, JP and a Vortex Viper I have had in the past. The larger window port and very clear dot work very well. I am going to try some drills using the circle and just the dot. I think the circle dot together is too busy for me. The only Delta points I have shot have been on other peoples pistols. With so many of those in the past going bad I am kinda scared to try one. I didn't like the RMR window and still wish C-More or somebody would make a small red dot with a round lens. Not everyone shoots these on rifles. Still working up loads and playing with fire control setups. The kids may not see this one for a while since I am enjoying shooting it. Thanks, Eric

Yeah, I was leery of the DPP based on what I've read, but my local range had a ton of guys who shoot a lot and swear by them. That and Leupold's outstanding customer service and warranty put me a bit at ease. 

That said, my two (one on a milled G17 and another on an M&P C.O.R.E.) have been trouble free so far. Only a few thousand rounds so far, but, fingers crossed. 

The window size is a game changer. I was using a Shield RMS, which is the company that make J-Point dots. Nice dot, crisp, no starburst, and low on the slide. But the window is tiny and the glass is a joke. Again, their warranty makes this less of an issue, but at dusk, brown targets on a brown berm become a challenge. For a carry gun (not an issue for me, I live in California for now), it's ideal. For competition, not so much.