Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ELS Belt Cut Down / Ratchet Systems?

jkrispies

I lost 30+ pounds and now my ELS belt is too long and wrapping around and under my holster which is putting my gun out of position . Before purchasing a new one I thought I’d check if anybody had cut an ELS down and how that went?  Does the end hold together afterwards?  The belt is only $40, and I can sell my old one here so it’s not a huge financial burden so I’m leaning towards a new one but figured it was worth asking.  Thanks, J 

EDIT TO ADD

Or, I just realized, I could move my attachments around and get the holster away from the overlap, just have the “buckle” in a funky spot...  

ANOTHER EDIT TO ADD:  The discussion is leaning towards ratchet systems, which I like, so I just modified the title to reflect ratchets.  

Edited by jkrispies

1 hour ago, The Donald said:

I cut my ELS belt down and installed a ratcheting buckle  from ratchetingbuckle.com

Hmmm....  that sounds interesting.  That website isn’t connecting for me.  Sure it’s the correct address?  Can you post a photo?

Edited by jkrispies

1 hour ago, Pcew73 said:

I also cut mine down and added a ratchet to it.  That was over a year ago and its stayed together pretty well.  The portion I cut has not frayed or began to come apart.  

Can you post a pic and maybe info on brand and where to purchase?  Thanks, J

7 minutes ago, Pcew73 said:

I got mine from carbon arms.  The link is below.  I dont have the belt with me right now but if you want to i can send you pictures of it tonight.  http://www.carbonarms.us/Belt-Gear/Belt-Ratchet-Kit.html

If you could photo that would be nice but not 100% necessary.  I’m trying to understand though, with these ratchet systems are you still using the inner velcro belt?

11 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

If you could photo that would be nice but not 100% necessary.  I’m trying to understand though, with these ratchet systems are you still using the inner velcro belt?

i think some guys do, but i dont.  I can ratchet it down and it doesnt move while running, crawling or jumping over things.  

2 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I don't have a photo of mine handy, but I still run the velcro inner belt with the Carbon Arms Ratchet on my ELS belt. I just used Some black electrical tape over the ends that I cut down on my ELS belt. I used a piece over the width of the belt to cover the cut, then wrapped a couple of layers over the edges to keep it all together, it is holding up pretty well. 

I’m using the Carbon Arms ratchet attachment with my ELS belt.  Got rid of the two studs on the end of the ELS outer belt as the studs were no longer needed IMO.  I took the end of the belt apart (peeled the layers apart to unscrew the studs) but in retrospect I probably could have just cut off the end with the studs and called it good.  I still use the inner belt it came with, but really like the functionality of the ratchet.  

13 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I lost 30+ pounds and now my ELS belt is too long and wrapping around and under my holster which is putting my gun out of position . Before purchasing a new one I thought I’d check if anybody had cut an ELS down and how that went?  Does the end hold together afterwards?  The belt is only $40, and I can sell my old one here so it’s not a huge financial burden so I’m leaning towards a new one but figured it was worth asking.  Thanks, J 

EDIT TO ADD

Or, I just realized, I could move my attachments around and get the holster away from the overlap, just have the “buckle” in a funky spot...  

ANOTHER EDIT TO ADD:  The discussion is leaning towards ratchet systems, which I like, so I just modified the title to reflect ratchets.  

Cut the ELS belt down and put a ratchet system on it, try it on, then cut the ELS belt shorter because it was too long the first time! LOL!

After you put it on, you will be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:10 AM, louu said:

The part numbers and website links are in the description of the video on YouTube

Finally had a chance to watch the video.  That was pretty cool.  I can see myself dryfiring with the belt more if it makes taking the rig on and off that much easier!

On 12/10/2018 at 12:31 PM, jkrispies said:

I’m trying to understand though, with these ratchet systems are you still using the inner velcro belt?

I do, but it's to hold my pants (or shorts) up more than for outer belt security.  I tried using my regular belt, but it's not as comfortable.

If you buy the ratchet and belt from Ratcheting Buckles, you will need some fasteners to mount them to the ELS belt.

I used these nuts from McMaster-Carr.  Steel Round Base Weld Nut 10-32 x 9/32".  These fit the holes in the ELS belt and are the correct length.  The belt is wide enough to put two side by side for the ratchet belt.

https://www.mcmaster.com/90596A116

For screws I used these from McMaster-Carr.  Extra Wide Truss Head Phillips Screws 10-32 x 3/8".

https://www.mcmaster.com/91770a827

Once you're sure of belt length and location, use a drop of Blue Loctite on each screw.

27 minutes ago, Ming the Merciless said:

If you buy the ratchet and belt from Ratcheting Buckles, you will need some fasteners to mount them to the ELS belt.

I used these nuts from McMaster-Carr.  Steel Round Base Weld Nut 10-32 x 9/32".  These fit the holes in the ELS belt and are the correct length.  The belt is wide enough to put two side by side for the ratchet belt.

https://www.mcmaster.com/90596A116

For screws I used these from McMaster-Carr.  Extra Wide Truss Head Phillips Screws 10-32 x 3/8".

https://www.mcmaster.com/91770a827

Once you're sure of belt length and location, use a drop of Blue Loctite on each screw.

Thanks for that info. I’m going to take that to Lowe’s and see if maybe I can just find a couple of them and then I won’t havee to pay for shipping or a whole ton of them. I sent an email to that website asking what they recommended as far as their product line goes. I can figure it out on my own but I’m curious to see what they would say.

25 minutes ago, Pardini said:

I would buy the Buckle with the 5.5" pre feed and guide and the longest strap with the tab. The strap can be cut to length. 

I cut my ELS belt and rounded the end with a belt sander. Then put some 5 minute epoxy on the cut/sanded edge to prevent fraying. 

I was wondering if the ends could be melted like a nylon rope?

4 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I was wondering if the ends could be melted like a nylon rope?

I don't think that would work well. The epoxy holds the Velcro to the belt on the cut edge and keeps the cut stitching from unraveling. Maybe it's not needed, after reading a couple of these posts. I bought a couple of CR Speed belts and the stitching is terrible on both the inner and outer belts. They were pulling apart the day they were delivered and I was worried the cut end of my ELS belt would do the same. 

My belt looks pretty clean compared to a lot I've seen. The wide tab on the ratchet strap permits using two fasteners to secure it to the belt. The benefit of that is, the two ends of the belt stay inline with each other and stops it from acting like a hinge and sagging.  I also left the belt long so it still overlaps itself. 

On 12/10/2018 at 4:14 PM, 2MoreChains said:

I’m using the Carbon Arms ratchet attachment with my ELS belt.  Got rid of the two studs on the end of the ELS outer belt as the studs were no longer needed IMO.  I took the end of the belt apart (peeled the layers apart to unscrew the studs) but in retrospect I probably could have just cut off the end with the studs and called it good.  I still use the inner belt it came with, but really like the functionality of the ratchet.  

I got a carbon arms ratchet for $27 shipped from their website and I thought it was a very nice piece for the price.

I just wish I ditched the studs a long time ago. I like the smaller adjustments of the ratchet.

I bought the Carbon Arms version and it's great.  I do wish it came with the 'T' version of the strap though, and I wouldn't mind the ladder strap feed/retainer, but the m2inc and ratcheting buckles sites require a $20 minimum purchase.

As an update, I conversed briefly with the ratchingbuckles.com folks, and based on my personal requirements and description of the system they recommended their "All Black Aluminum Buckle.  There are two versions.  Normal, flush release (security, but a little more difficult to open)  or the HIGH,   Raised Release easier for adjustment."