Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 9mm Carbide die not de-priming every round

I run a Dillon 650 with Dillon carbide dies and I am guessing I have loaded about 20k rounds on these dies....I have the resizing/decapping die set just to the point it is touching the shell plate on the up cycle.  I sort my brass and have been loading a batch of Blazer brass and about one out of every ten to twelve pieces of this brass is NOT depriming.....

Anyone ever experience the depriming rod on your Dillon dies wearing out?  It is not broken and like I said it deprimes about nine out of every ten with about 8 - 10 rounds per hundred not depriming....Thanks. Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

Thanks guys for your replies...

Grumpy - I will give your idea a try first because I can hear the pin making contact with the primer..I bet this is what is happening...If your idea does not work I will try looking at Gringo’s suggestion....I do clean my brass with SS pins...

Thanks again. Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

5 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Thanks guys for your replies...

Grumpy - I will give your idea a try first because I can hear the pin making contact with the primer..I bet thisnisnwhat is happening...If your idea does not work I will try looking at Gringo’s suggestion....

Thanks again. Mark

Yeah, just put a little angle on the tip of the pin. I recently bent my Dillon pin during case prep for wet tumble. I had a bevel on it. Had not had a depriming issue in many thousands of rounds. Put the new pin in and figured I didn't need to bevel it since I only use it for depriming and its easy enough just to pull it out and drop in the case feed tube for a redo. Probably happens every 25-30 rounds now.

Guys. This worked. Took the pin out and placed a small bevil on the tip and ran about 20 pieces of brass that had previously reflected my issue and this time they all de-primmed like normal.....

Thanks again to your quick support on this simple but frustrating issue.....All good now....Back to loading...Mark

Had the same issue with my new RCBS 9MM carbide resizing die and blazer 9MM brass.  The little angle grind from tip to one side fixed it.

No idea why it only did it with Blazer brass.  As someone else mentioned, my Lee carbide resizing 9MM die never had an issue with any brass brand.

It’s the anvil in the primer. The anvil is kind of shaped like a 3 pointed star. And  can very in size from component manufactures  that sells the cup, primer compound , and anvil. Since they can very in size and placement in the cup. So when your pin goes through the flash hole it lands in the area where the anvil is not and catches and doesn’t kick out the primer. The Dillon dies use a spring style decapper designed to pop out the primmer with assistance of the spring. I’m not in my gun room to look at the dies. See if you can screw down the decaping pin. If you can’t then you need to template the pin since it’s just worn out engouh for that manufacture of that primer. In the mean time. Unscrew the pin and gently peen the end with a hammer that will dent the pin and make it a hair longer it may take a few try but it’s the cheap way till you can get a new one in from Dillion 

59 minutes ago, 25gramsjohnsonandjohnson said:

It’s the anvil in the primer. The anvil is kind of shaped like a 3 pointed star. And  can very in size from component manufactures  that sells the cup, primer compound , and anvil. Since they can very in size and placement in the cup. So when your pin goes through the flash hole it lands in the area where the anvil is not and catches and doesn’t kick out the primer. The Dillon dies use a spring style decapper designed to pop out the primmer with assistance of the spring. I’m not in my gun room to look at the dies. See if you can screw down the decaping pin. If you can’t then you need to template the pin since it’s just worn out engouh for that manufacture of that primer. In the mean time. Unscrew the pin and gently peen the end with a hammer that will dent the pin and make it a hair longer it may take a few try but it’s the cheap way till you can get a new one in from Dillion 

It really is the pin. ;) It's a very well documented problem with very well documented fixes.

On 11/25/2018 at 7:14 PM, Sigarmsp226 said:

.I do clean my brass with SS pins...

Do you clean with the primers in and then dry the brass?   If so, this is your issue.  The solution will glue the primer into the pocket and greatly increase the number of pull-backs.  When I automated my 1050 (with an AmmoBot), I was having this issue bad.  Went back to dry media tumbling, the pull-backs almost went away completely.

Other things to try:

- Chisel pin end (as already mentioned)

- polish pin end

- connect vacuum to primer chute tube.  (I have had mixed results with this, but most commercial brass processors do this.)

I did what Sarge  suggested and took the pin assembly out and carefully ground (bevil) one side without losing any length and after that I tried it on 20+ pieces of brass that previously had their primers sucked back up into their primer opening so thanks to you guys I think this fixed my issue...Will be loading another 1k rounds this weekend with a portion of those being blaser brass.....so time will tell...

Thanks again to everyone for your comments and recommendations....I greatly apprecite all of the support here.....Mark 

Edited by Sigarmsp226