Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115 federals don't work in my 929

IHAVEGAS

WalMart had them at under $9.00 a box tax included, figured good enough for practice and I could use the once fired brass. 

The bullet walks out of the brass in my 929 bad enough that I won't shoot any more of them in that gun, no big deal for me they will be shot in my production gun.

For what it is worth. 

He isn't shooting a revolver in production but has a semi auto for that.

My 929 does the same thing, I've had the bullet walk completely out of the brass befor. It will even do it on my reloads no mater how the crimp is set.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:25 PM, Jamese35 said:

He isn't shooting a revolver in production but has a semi auto for that.

My 929 does the same thing, I've had the bullet walk completely out of the brass befor. It will even do it on my reloads no mater how the crimp is set.

Have you tried using an undersized die in place of the regular resizing die?

1 hour ago, Distant Thunder said:

Have you tried using an undersized die in place of the regular resizing die?

What do you mean by a undersized die? Can you point me in the right direction for one on dillon 650? 

Thank you 

Do a web search for "Lee undersized sizing die" and take a peak at the Extreme Gun Works website. 

The EGW is made by Lee but closer to standard sized, I prefer it but would use the Lee if bullets still walk with the egw.

@Jamese35 in 9mm the crimp die... doesn’t actually crimp. It’s more of a “flare removal” die that resturns the brass to straight. 9 is a taper crimped round, versus the roll-crimp that a cartridge like .38 Special uses.

I run a Lee U-die in station 1 on my 1050 even though I don’t own a wheelgun. It sizes the brass down an extra .002” or .003” and really helps EVERYTHING pass the case gauge. Neck tension is what grips the bullet in 9mm, and it greatly increases that as well.

Also highly recommended? The powder funnel made for the Mr Bulletfeeder by DAA. It shapes the case mouth for a bullet to be placed in a much better manner than the dillon powder funnel’s “trumpet flare.” I recommend one even to people who don’t run a bullet feeder on their 650/1050.

11 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Jamese35 in 9mm the crimp die... doesn’t actually crimp. It’s more of a “flare removal” die that resturns the brass to straight. 9 is a taper crimped round, versus the roll-crimp that a cartridge like .38 Special uses.

Running coated bullets, crimping beyond just flare removal can have you shooting curve balls. 

1 hour ago, MikeyScuba said:

I'm sure most of us with 929's are crimping harder, I am. 

What I have read is that 9mm bullets are held in place by case tension (hence the benefit to undersized dies) and that crimping harder does not make them more secure, I am not an expert but that seems to be the way that most of the experts look at it. The one thing that I have tested (accidentally), if your groups are good at 15 yards but bad at 25 yards and you are shooting coated then you might have too much crimp. 

Many 929 shooters are shooting .3575 or .358 diameter bullets. Not too hard to get a great crimp that way...

I find that if/when I load .355 bullets with my 929 setup I get lots of bullet creep. I would need to readjust if I were going with that diameter. I use the U-die and seat/crimp in 1 step.

FWIW I have been shooting Bayou 105gr (.358 dia) and 103 gr (.3575 dia from my bullet guy) and I get no creep. I test by seeing how many times 2 bullets will stand recoil from the other 6 before creeping. After 24 or shots I quit testing. No creep.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

Many 929 shooters are shooting .3575 or .358 diameter bullets. Not too hard to get a great crimp that way...

I find that if/when I load .355 bullets with my 929 setup I get lots of bullet creep. I would need to readjust if I were going with that diameter. I use the U-die and seat/crimp in 1 step.

FWIW I have been shooting Bayou 105gr (.358 dia) and 103 gr (.3575 dia from my bullet guy) and I get no creep. I test by seeing how many times 2 bullets will stand recoil from the other 6 before creeping. After 24 or shots I quit testing. No 

I was wondering about bumping up to a 357 or 358if it would help. I'll have to give Dennis a call and have him send me some 145 in a 357 diameter. How would that bigger size work in my standard guns like my glock 34? 

That is a great question! Probably someone here already has tested that, but, it would be easy to check it out. I shoot my light loads in a 6" 1911 and they function pretty well and are accurate. Load a few and test in both guns...

Keep us posted! That is interesting...

2 hours ago, Jamese35 said:

I was wondering about bumping up to a 357 or 358if it would help. I'll have to give Dennis a call and have him send me some 145 in a 357 diameter. How would that bigger size work in my standard guns like my glock 34? 

If shooting lead or coated in a Glock it might be worth picking up a copy of "The Glock in competition" and reading the section where they verified the conditions required to get a Glock barrel to Ka-boom. There is no way that I would be the alpha tester for oversized lead/coated bullets in a Glock but I am not known for being courageous about such things. 

Some of the 929 guys have slugged their barrels and come to the conclusion that it is a 38 barrel. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

I'm not to worried about a glock barrel going kaboom from bumping up to a 357 diameter. I found a article erly this last year about a guy loading 160 grain 357 diameter  bullets for uspsa and the pressures were with in spec. Now I know it's not the same with a 145 grain and all guns are different. He was loading tightgroup at 2.7 grains with a 1.140 over all length with a 160 grain coated lead bullets. Out of a glock 19. 

Thanks for the info guys. And I'm sorry for high jackin this.

6 minutes ago, Jamese35 said:

I found a article erly this last year about a guy loading 160 grain 357 diameter  bullets for uspsa and the pressures were with in spec.

In testing they measured reasonable pressures for x number of rounds and then a fairly rapid increase with round count and then the Ka-boom. Intuitavely it seemed like all was well until lead build up reached a certain point.