Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to teach quad loading to a lefty?

My son is 12 and has started 3 gunning with me. One big hurdle he has is that while he is right handed, he is also left eye dominant - not a huge issue, I’m just teaching him how to shoot left handed. 

But I'm having a hard time teaching him how to quad load left handed. 

Does anyone have a technique video or advice to show a left handed shooter how to quad load with their strong (right) hand?

Or do you think it would be better to teach him to quad load with his left hand & just teach him the mirror opposite of how I do it?

I am not sure if this is applicable, but, as a lefty learning card tricks, etc. If you face him while demonstrating, have him work from that mirror image it works quite naturally.

I realize that your question hinted at this but that technique is how I've learned most things in life from right handers.

Edited by frgood

39 minutes ago, frgood said:

I am not sure if this is applicable, but, as a lefty learning card tricks, etc. If you face him while demonstrating, have him work from that mirror image it works quite naturally.

I realize that your question hinted at this but that technique is how I've learned most things in life from right handers.

Yeah, I suspect that that’s how he’s going to have to do it. But he’s a lot more coordinated with his right hand so I was hoping that there was an angle I just wasn’t seeing. 

There may be a bit of ambidextrous ability. My guess it is based upon what activities one grows up with. For example, I grew up playing a lot of street hockey. Due to borrowing righty hockey sticks I got proficient playing either hand. Yes, there is a favored side but, it does vary.  In other cases I get downright confused for a moment when playing baseball. I shoot rifle right handed because that is how we learned as kids, but I shoot pistol lefty.

In golf, I played right handed for a long time. When I tried left handed, it simply felt more comfortable. In other words, You may simply lay the pistol, or rifle out on a table and try to get him to simply pick up and fire. do this without any any indication of hand and simply see which 'feels' most natural. At his age, I would not worry about  dominant eye simply because vision in both is pretty darn good.

If anything simply show proper form and use and just 'let nature take its course".

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2018 at 6:55 PM, Rnlinebacker said:

I'm left eye dominant and right handed. No need to go against his natural inclination and teach him left handed. just close that left eye on long guns. keep both open on pistol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That doesn't work for everyone. I'm left eye dominant because of amblyopia. At it's best I have 20/70 vision in my right eye and 20/10 in my left eye. I learned to shoot left handed when I was a teenager and they younger you learn the better.

As far as quad loading goes you just have to do it. Don't try to go fast until you're proficient with the motion. I quad load left and right handed. It just takes practice. 

On 11/3/2018 at 7:00 PM, pastorjohnd said:

My son is 12 and has started 3 gunning with me. One big hurdle he has is that while he is right handed, he is also left eye dominant - not a huge issue, I’m just teaching him how to shoot left handed. 

Does anyone have a technique video or advice to show a left handed shooter how to quad load with their strong (right) hand?

Or do you think it would be better to teach him to quad load with his left hand & just teach him the mirror opposite of how I do it?

I can't believe no one has said it yet, he should forget the whole over the shoulder load and do the armpit load. Normally it's called the weak or strong hand load but just trying to be more clear for this situation. He should shoot the gun left handed, keep the left hand on the grip, roll it upside down under his armpit, use his right hand to load. Like this but opposite. 

On 11/3/2018 at 6:00 PM, pastorjohnd said:

I was gonna say look for him^^^^^^^^^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...