Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking To Build Mor Rifle

tewlman

There have been a few threads here on this.

I would not go with the Win Mag for MOR, .308 or .260 would be my choice.

I think detachable mags are good, better if they work. Here I think the AICS shines, the Tubb 2000 is also a quick stoke.

Barrels....pick any reputable maker. I've had good luck with Hart and Schneider, but Pac-Nor, Rock, Shilen, Lilja, etc, etc, are probably just as good. Heck, I've had custom maker's barrels not shoot as well as the factory Remington, so a factory tube is a good place to start as well.

I haven't shot any MOR, have shot the ITRC, I like a 6.5-20X scope. I believe Matt Burkett and Zak Smith are fans of the Horus Vision reticles for the faster transitions.

I'd have to think the most common optic would be a 3.5-10X Leupold Mil-Dot, but I may be wrong.

I'd get a Rem 700 .308 VS with a 3.5-10X Mil-Dot and shoot that until it held me back, then upgrade to the Badger bottom metal that will take AI mags.

For MOR, you need detachable mags. Capacity of >= 10 helps.

Dialing elevation for each target or each target array is slow. If using a conventional scope, dial the elevation for the most common distance and then figure out the hold overs/unders for the rest of the targets. The Horus makes this easier.

Tewlman,

I have exactly the setup you are considering. I put a lvery lightly used Rem 700 PSS in .308 in an AICS 1.5 chassis. The action and barrel are completly stock with the exception of a Badger bolt knob. Being new to MOR I thought that I would increase my skills while wearing out the stock barrel (gun shoots easy sub MOA now) and then sending the gun to George for a rebuild.

I did spend some big money on optics I went with a US Optics SN3 Tpal with the Horus Vision H25 Reticle. IMHO a very big help in jumping up the learning curve.

As far as the AICS goes I think it is a very good setup and at the time I put my gun together it was really the only game in town for reliable, and durable detachable mags. Now Badger Ordnance sells bottom metal that accepts the AICS mags which means you can build your rifle on the stock of your choice ie McMillan, HS etc.

Good luck, Craig

short-action AICS stock uses the single-stack 5-round AICS mags

Not sure of exactly what I have, but when I called the nice folks at TacPro, they were happy to sell me some 10-round (they actually hold 12-rounds) .308 mags that work quite nicely in my AICS.

BTW, to return to the original topic, I did what the original poster is describing - I put a .308 Rem-700 (a fairly nice barreled action with a Rock 5R barrel) into an AICS stock, had the action trued and the trigger smoothed, and put a Horus scope on top. I'm still *way* down on the learning curve, but this is a system that 1) shoots better than I am capable of exploiting and 2) provides a decent platform for learning on.

Bruce

ok, by the replies i have gotten, i have come to the following conclusions:

1) that the aics stock is the bomb

2) whatever optics i choose, it should have a horus reticle

3) one of these cool stocks takes a 10(12) rd mag

4) 300 win mag is probably too much for MOR

5) pisgahrifle has an '06 fetish

now, would i be better starting with a pss, or would any remy 700 action make a suitable platform?

Tewlman

a few things to consider:

1) The AICS may not be the "bomb" for you. You might find a McMillan with the Badger Bottom Metal is better. Its a personal pref. thing. Both will perform well in MOR.

2) right on for the Horus.

3) The AICS and the Badger Bottom Metal both accept the same mags. Coincidentally they are considered the best mags (reliability, durability etc) in the biz.

4) If you want to build a gun from the ground up right now. Buy a Wally World Rem 700 ADL sell off the barrel, stock, bottom metal, and send the action and bolt to George Gardner at Gardner Precision. If you want to start with a shooter and eventually change the barrel and true the action look for a PSS or a 700 Varmint (same action and barrel for both) and work from there.

5) Check out this rifle if you want to see the option of not going with the AICS chassis. http://www.snipershide.com/ubb/ultimatebb....c;f=18;t=001044.

6) At any rate check snipershide.com out. Lots of great info on building a gun.

Good luck, Craig

Zak,

The badger bottom metal accepts AICS mags. If it accepts the AI AW mags I don't know but George told me specifically that it was designed for the AICS mags.

Tewlman,

Go to the Snipershide website and checkout there For Sale forum. There are always good deals on complete rifles, barrelled actions and stocks. You might also find HS Precision bottom metal that will take a 10 round mag.

As for having a rifle built or getting some work done on a rifle you need to check with George at G.A. Precision. He has built or worked on at least 4 of my rifles. He does good work and has a good turn around time. B)

thanks guys, snipershide has been a wealth of info.

Zak, your right about the aics, i do think they look awesome, but would like to shoot one before i spent the money. i have read that some people just dont like them.

I have a Remington 700 Light Tactical Rifle (LTR) in .308. The factory fluted 20" barrel shoots amazingly well for a factory barrel and I also like the stock which fits me well. What I don't like is that it doesn't use detachable mags. Does anyone know if the Badger bottom metal will work on this rifle? What's involved in installing something like this?

Yes, the Badger bottom metal will work on your LTR. Once you buy the bottom metal you will have to send to George at G.A. Precision to have installed and fitted.

One other think you can do is get the HS Precision bottom metal. That is what I got for one on my PSS and now I have a REM 700 that will take a 10 round mag.

The Badger Ordnance bottom metal and AICS mags are far better (reliability, durability, etc.) than the HS precision stuff. Not to mention a little cheaper when all the parts are added up.

So all things being equal I would go with the Badger stuff. Call George and see what his opinion is, he has built both and will assuredly shoot you straight.

Good Luck, Craig

• 5 months later...

I have started the process, and I think I am more confused. I know I am going to go with a McMillian a5 stock for my Remington 700 in 308, but I am clueless as to the best weight, twist, length, or size of barrel. I feel like I did when I first started IPSC.

If you were going to get a McMillian stock now and add a badger ordinance later how would you order it. I tried calling George at GAPrecision, but I believe he was too busy to be of much help to such a novice.

Since I can't afford evrything now how to I buy now to avoid redo work later.

I posted here in case there are other poor confused souls myself.

• 4 months later...

So sifting through the Remington catalog, I found the SPS DM (Special Purpose Synthetic, Detachable Magazine) which looks like a sweet, affordable option. It features a the normal 700 action and then a synthetic stock. Don't know how how speed the stock is (probably not) but with a 24" barrel (26" for magnums) and price tag at $559 MSRP, it's gotta be a great starter kit to work on load development, technique, reading targets, winds, elevations, etc. Get all the basics of rifle marksmanship down.

Too, if you spent a little money on a good trigger, bedding, BO scope rings/base, and good glass, when it did come time to switch out a barrel, hell just swap out the stock too for something more to one's liking.

Couple of questions:

1 - How is Remington's DM system. If HS's is slow, BO's is the heat and obviously AI is it, how does Remington fit in this, especially in the way of reliability? I don't want to drop the dollars on an AICS or BO DM system, just yet. I want to start small and get a lot of time on the range, behind the bench and behind the computer, before going in full bore (which I will).

2 - What do y'all think of this as an option? Calibers available are: 243, 270, 7-08, 7Mag, 30-06 and 300 WM. I was thinking 243.

3 - Starting with this, I'd go for sure with BO base and rings. Probably send it to a local buddy to do a trigger job, bolt lapping and bedding. Bi-pod, sling(s) and a muzzle brake (probably TSS - Rolling Thunder). As for glass, I'd like to use a Horus reticle, but would like to go with a Loopy. Anyone got a clue on what they charge to install a Horus reticle (I'm e-mailing them too)?

4 - After that, what do you think I'm missing? I'll be running the ATRAG software on a PDA unless someone has something better that they could recommend (like RSI and just producing a book, e.g.).

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Rich

Edited by uscbigdawg

4 - After that, what do you think I'm missing? I'll be running the ATRAG software on a PDA unless someone has something better that they could recommend

I gave a hard look at Atrag, and then went with ExBal. (http://www.perry-systems.com/) Not just because it had more features, but because it had features that actually seemed important. Like... being able to put in different range conditions between sight-in and "today", so that first shot goes where you want it to considering the altitude, elevation, air-pressure and things you're in "now".

Have to say, though, that for the most part I only use the ballistic program to work up a good data-card, and then (as Zak says) dial the scope for a median distance, and figure out my hold-overs and hold-unders for when the clock is running.

Bruce

I don't know if Remington has changed their DM system, but the one I had was close to useless for MOR. The mags were flimsy and would swell so they were difficult to insert and extract. Squeezing in the vice would help for about one reload. No feed problems, though. I think it's OK if you're a deer hunter and want to unload without fussing with a blind magazine, but for MOR I'd start saving for an upgrade.

I've been using Sierra's ballistic program, will be switching to Exbal.

Not sure of the twist on Rem's .243, but if it would stabilize the 115 gr DTAC, it should be sweet. A sweet barrel burner, but sweet nonetheless.

I looked into a HV reticle for a Leupold, I think it was about 700 bucks, or that neighborhood. I can't remember exactly because I heard the figure and thought to myself, "Not just no...heck no!" I pretty much think to myself in PG-13.

I built my rifle using an AICS 1.5 chassis and put a trued Remington 700 308 with the 5 R factory barrel, changed the bolt handle to a Badger. I am currently using a Leupold 3.5-10 scope that I had on another rifle. The rifle shoots far better than I can. A friend who is a very good rifle shooter said he would not change a thing on it. Now I need to learn how to shoot it.

Edited by Jaxshooter

FWIW, Horus said they're currently installing their reticles in like 4-6 of Leupold's scopes for $500. I'm guessing that the price is pretty close to what a Horus scopes costs to begin with. So, it's almost a wash, and probably depends on personal preference of controls or whether or not you just like HV or Loopy.

I'm probably going to be one of those guys that gets it put in, 'cause I just like Leupold.

After that, I'm with Bear1142 on this one in that I've decided on the McMillan A-5 stock (on another thread). Something about it just scores high on cool points for me and you know it's going to get it done. But I am making a point to go to AZ (if only to visit my brother) and visit their shop and see about what fits/feels better (A3, A4 or A5).

Rich

I have a LTR 700 with a detachable magazine in 308. The optics on the rifle is a U.S. Optics SN 3 with a Wilson Combat illuminated reticle. I also have a U.S. Optics SN4 on my ar-15. If you decide to go with U.S. Optics you won't go wrong. Not cheap but the quality is the best.

I attached a photograph.

S. Rodriguezpost-5388-1151720352.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got my rifle "problem" worked out.

So after that, seriously, how precise do we need to be on the reloading? I've resolved that I'm going to just do the normal thing of weighing brass, cleaning primer pockets/flash holes, trimming, etc.

But do I need to crack open the Sinclair catalog for a full fancy powder measure, bullet comparator doo-hickey, etc. reloading arrangement, or can I just load the .243 on my XL650 and be done with it (that is if I can find a Prometheus lying around somewhere)?

Rich