Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Duane Thomas just wrote a piece about Slide Glide in the latest Front Site, did you see it?  Brian co-designed it with a lube-guru from the GM proving grounds.

It looks like you're gonna have to be the R&D guy on this project since the average temp where Slide Glide was made is 80 F

(Edited by TDean at 7:50 am on Sep. 16, 2002)

Snow trucks?  LOL.  Um, no.   We might get snow once or twice a year if at all, and a light sprinkling always seems to shut EVERYTHING down.  Schools are out, businesses close, etc.  It's pretty funny actually.  We get below freezing on plenty of nights and a few days, but the coldest match I can remember shooting with the slide glide was in the low 40's.  Maybe upper 30's, can't say for sure.  

I'm thinking you are on your own for the extreme testing in the negative degrees Ray.  It's probably hard to find lubricants that perform at those temperatures.  Try the Slide Glide and let us know how it works.  FP-10 might be something else to try.  I'm sure if you contact George at Muscle Products he would be happy to give you some temperature/performance info on the FP-10.  

FP-10 is what I've been using. It's the best lube I've found in cold weather but I'm always looking for something better. I used Breakfree before I found the FP-10 . I read the article in front sight and it sure made the Slide-Glide sound good so I'm going to give it a try. Even if it doesn't work well in the cold I still have 4 to 5 months of warmer weather.

• 1 month later...

Flex (and others when ordering over the phone) recommended that I package the S-G in a syringe. Since this seems to be a theme lately, I decided to post my reply here. If anyone has any ideas on solving any or all of the three obstacles, please feel free to, as usual, post.

:)

Thanks!

I actually checked into it quite a bit before marketing this stuff a couple years ago. There are three problems - 1) My lube man told me he looked into it as well and typically the folks who make the syringe (or the grease in the syringe) make agreements with each other so that the syringe maker won't sell the syringes to anyone (other than who's grease they fill it with). Sure enough, every vendor I contacted wouldn't sell me the syringes. But, I feel with a more powerful effort, I could make it happen. 2) If I package the stuff in a syringe there won't be enough room on the tube to have all the label and safety info I'll have to have to get it in the Dillon and Brownell's catalog. This means I'd have to sell it in some sort of packaging/bagging thing, which would be a big loser compared to what I'm doing now. Then again, if it goes big time in Brownell's and Dillon, it may be another obstacle worth overcoming. 3) The O-ring or seal in the syringe must be capable of NOT being eaten by the grease, for at least a year plus. Most generic syringe seals won’t stand up to a petroleum based grease. So if the syringe company couldn’t absolutely guarantee it would withstand the grease, you’d have to let some grease set in it for a year or so yourself. Otherwise you could have a big mess on your hands ;) down the road.

be

Brian,

I like the tub and the cheapie brush.  Frankly, I thought your tub was one of the niftiest things about Slide Glide.  

Syringes suck.  I put my Glock Goop (copper anti-seize from Napa) into a syringe designed for dispensing pet medications. (Which one can buy empty at any chain Pet Store / feed house.)  It has no seal, it's just a plastic plunger in a plastic tube.  Frankly, it's a pain in the ass.  Residual pressure remains in the tube after application and just creates a mess everywhere (because the goop keeps coming out after you'd like it to stop).  One has to pull the plunger back after squirting each little dab.  Try to do that while holding your gun and trying to not get crap all over the kitchen table.  It's no small trick I tell ya'.

Then...I take my dedicated Glock Goop brush and wipe it around anyway.  So much for the 1/2 hour I wasted scooping that junk into the syringe...  (Slide Glide may be a lot better behaved just because it's thicker.)

So...I'm not sure the grass is greener.  

As far as chemical compatibility with a seal, I think you need a full synthetic or a Buna-N type seal for chemical resistance.  Neither will come easily or cheaply.  Try the plain plastic plunger model from the pet store.  It may work dandy, if the syringe thing is a "must have" for customers.  

My 2 rubles,

E

I've been off my rocker plenty.  I am pretty confident this isn't one of those times though.

EricW,  sounds like your syringe sucks.  It sounds similar to the one that my Brownell's Action Lube comes in.  The one my SG is in came from another source.  It has a rubber "gasket" on the end of the plunger that, basically, forms two O-rings.  Plus, this sryinge is clear.  Doesn't look expensive to me.  Works great.

----------------

Nik,

Doesn't have to be one or the other...I don't think anybody is coming to take the SG tub away from ya.  ;)

I don't, however, carry any SG in my range bag.  I take one of many little bottles of oil that I have on hand...those are the ticket at the range.

My tub of SG is used for all kinds of general purpose stuff.  I think it is on the reloading bench, next to the press, right now.  My syringe of SG...that stays on my gun bench.  Whenever I clean the gun, the syringe makes the application of the SG a snap.  

I'll see if I can get a picture, or maybe even a video clip, to Brian.  

Flex,

My syringe blows.  Of that, there is no doubt.  It was all I could find.  As far as expense, take the cost of a syringe in small volume (probably $.50 - $1 ea.), multiply by about 3 to account for profit margin, shipping, handling and filling, then add that to the cost of every tub of Slide Glide.  From a manufacturer's perspective, it's "expensive."  The cost and the pain-in-the-ass factor may raise the cost of SG to the point where it costs Brian business.  On the other hand, the sheer handiness and coolness of the syringe may get Brian a hundred times the market base he has now, just because the package looks "cool."

What's right?  OK, I'll admit it.  I've got no clue....  But I still like the tub.   This whole discussion could be rendered moot just by putting SG into a standard grease gun cartridge and screwing a zerk into the side of our blasters.

;)

E

How about a tube instead of a tub?  You could still squeeze it out, you could have one of those trimmable tips on it like a tube of silicon has, and it would go well with the old toothbrush that I use as an applicator.  Plenty of room for labeling, website promotion, etc... on the tube as well.

-jhgtyre

My thought  process precludes the pricing of packaging for profit, however...packaging can produce precious profit, as poor packaging can prevent the proliferation of product.

:)

The syringe that I am using came from another gun lube maker.  As for cost, I'd pay an extra buck for the ease of use (and, I am pretty tight with the extra buck thing).  I don't think it would cost an extra buck though.  Pretty certain it would not.

Wilson Ultima Lube has the best syringe.  The residual pressure leakage problem is eliminated because you have to rotate the head to get it to feed out.  Rotate it back and it's sealed tight.  It's a built in cutoff valve.

As far as getting a rubber-type substance that stands up to petroleum, there are some.  I believe silicone rubber is impervious to it (which is why they use it for oil pan gaskets).

I personally like syringes but don't like the fact you usually get charged about 3X compared to a tub for a typical lube product.