Mark 7 Presses worth the money?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well,, my Evo got to me, but there was an issue that kept it from working correctly, and it had to go back. Right about that time, they started the USPSA member sale on the Revo.  So.... long story short, my Revo should be here in a couple weeks.   Meanwhile I have been running a lot of extra rounds on my 650, in preparation of the switch over and time it will take to dial in the new press, etc.   so glad I did,  because the priming station went down and I’m waiting for parts.  

I did pick up an extra toolhead for the Revo. Figure I will run all my brass through and pre-process on that.  Decap, swage-, size.  Then flip toolheads for loading, and size again as a hold down die.  

For sensors i got got the swage sense,  bullet sense, and powder sense.   Any reason to get decap sense too? Seems like swagesense would catch a bad decap too 

39 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

For sensors i got got the swage sense,  bullet sense, and powder sense.   Any reason to get decap sense too? Seems like swagesense would catch a bad decap too 

I have had issues with primers on some brass sticking to the decapping pin, pulling back and the machine then stopping at swagesense. Nicer if it stops at decapsense, since then you don't have to empty the case under powder station.

• 4 weeks later...

Going off topic a bit here... I was able to look at both the revo and evo...  both machines were very nice!

Currently I have 2 1050’s and a 650.  1050’s are set up as a large and small primer machine and pretty much stay set to 45 and 9mm.  The 650 is whatever and gets very little play outside of some 38 stuff.

I have a lot of caliber swaps (full set ups) for the 1050(9/45/38sp/38super/300/223).  I also have duplicates of those on the 650.

In all honesty, this is way overkill for me as I just don’t shoot enough to justify having all this.  I do however like having the option and stuff on hand.

i have been considering selling both 1050’s and caliber conversions to buy one of the MK7 presses as well as a caliber conversion. (45 and 9).  I would keep my 650 for fast load workup and one off calibers.

i have no clue what the price offsets would be on this but am looking for some feedback on what press set up would make most sense and which options I need.  Anyone here have opinions, thoughts, or guidance?

It seems you would be giving up some flexibility by going to one Mk7 as opposed to two 1050s.

Also the two 1050s give you some redundancy should one of them go down.

I could see going from a single 1050 to a single Mk7 just because of the coolness and the extra stations would be nice.

But going from two 1050s to a single Mk7... that is not as obvious a good move to my mind.

3 minutes ago, ddc said:

It seems you would be giving up some flexibility by going to one Mk7 as opposed to two 1050s.

Also the two 1050s give you some redundancy should one of them go down.

I could see going from a single 1050 to a single Mk7 just because of the coolness and the extra stations would be nice.

But going from two 1050s to a single Mk7... that is not as obvious a good move to my mind.

I get that:)  For whatever reason I really did think that the MK7 looked really nice at the NRA Show.  I also think it would be nice to clear some space on my bench going from 3 presses and a s#!t ton of conversions down to 2.   

The cost of converting from 9mm to .45 with a primer system change as well is going to be almost the cost of one of those 1050s.

If you are shooting 9mm the most I'd sell one of the 1050s and leave the other one as the large primer system. Though it might be tough to go back to pulling the handle after getting used to automation. ;) 

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2019 at 8:48 PM, Jfitz427 said:

That’s awesome man. I bet you itching for it to ship out. If I had that kind of disposable income I would have bought one myself. All the stuff  I needed for my 1050 was delivered today, caliber conversion, primer pickup tubes etc. didn’t have time to set it up yet though. But man I can’t believe how smooth the press feels. I can’t wait to get started loading on it. I have the bullet feeder already too so this is going to probably double my production if not more over my loadmaster. This machine is going to be a big step up for me. But some point down the line after a few more promotions im gonna buy a Mk7. Hopefully the price will have come down a bit by then too. 

Yeah well, still trying to work thru issues. I got 200 rounds out of it. The rest of the the time it's been a box of parts on my bench waiting for replacement parts or their availability to help diagnose over face-time. I had sold my 650 when I upgraded to the Revo, but had to go buy another one (650, not Revo) so I could make some ammo. Now it's gotta go back to them for a rebuild since nothing we've tried over the last 6 weeks has worked. It's been frustrating, to say the least. The funny thing is the RL-1100 I was originally going to buy instead back in April -  looks like it still hasn't been released.

(edit for additional info)

-- But, let me say this - the Mark 7 team has been great to work with and always addressed the issues. One was an unfortunate part-hardening issue they had from a supplier in a batch of parts. One's a head-scratcher that has them a bit stumped too - but they don't shy away from the. issues. They keep addressing them and moving the ball forward. They definitely stand behind their product. 

Edited by OptimiStick
clarification

• 4 weeks later...

It's good they worked with you, that hasn't always been the case. I have had issues and they have fixed them, but it normally takes time. Been waiting on the latest return communication for over 2 weeks. 

Mine has been down as the primer feed bar is stuck and will not return and pick up a new primer. 

On 6/14/2019 at 5:35 PM, OptimiStick said:

Yeah well, still trying to work thru issues. I got 200 rounds out of it. The rest of the the time it's been a box of parts on my bench waiting for replacement parts or their availability to help diagnose over face-time. I.... Now it's gotta go back to them for a rebuild since nothing we've tried over the last 6 weeks has worked. It's been frustrating, to say the least.

What exactly is the problem has it been identified? I got my Revo about a year ago and after some hiccups it has been working great at 3,000 rph setting once tuned up.I'd have figured going forward all the part related solutions would  have been fed back to the BOM. 

I had a similar problem that was linked to a nick in the whole the primer rides in as the bar advances.  It caused the primers to, occasionally, get flipped sideways.  When the primer bar slid forward to the primer would get crushed and hang the mechanism up.  The solution was to disassemble the primer bar and sand the nick out of the bar.  It has worked perfectly ever since. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 9:41 PM, tanks said:

What exactly is the problem has it been identified? I got my Revo about a year ago and after some hiccups it has been working great at 3,000 rph setting once tuned up.I'd have figured going forward all the part related solutions would  have been fed back to the BOM. 

Primer punch just stopped going up far enough to seat a primer. Which , sounds like an easy fix - but thru Dan, Misty, and even to Anthony - no one could figure out why. The stroke was coming fully down. The primer punch measured correct, dowel pin also , primer guide pin also. The only thing left I could think of was some kind of flex in the the primer rocker. Had me tear it down to the core, and the index pawl was bent. That wasn't causing the primer issue - in fact it wasn't causing any issue, but they think there were a few that didn't get hardened correctly, and I was just  unlucky there. During tear-down and them sending parts, the rocker bolt has been redesigned, and I believe rocker itself and the index pawl are a little different as well.

It was frustrating at times, but i'm of the general belief that - Every company/product has issues - as long as you have a plan to fix it and you stand behind your product, I'm okay. They did that. 

In regards to spare parts, I would also order the primer wheel guide (plastic part), it eventually will start to flex and ride up jamming the machine. It is a cheap part ($19 or so), but you are down until you replace it.