Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Presses worth the money?

1 hour ago, OptimiStick said:

Yeah. I tried to buy one and just missed the cutoff before they became unobtainable due to availability.  I was surfing around tonight to see if I could place my order, and saw the price increase.  Now it’s unobtainable due to cost.  I could talk myself into the $2,700 price point as compared to the 1050. But not $4k. That’s two 1050s.  Especially when I know they were $2,700.  I guess I am in their 'acceptable loss' column. Which is an odd place for me to be, because i'm usually in the 'We can charge this idiot almost anything!' column when I really want something. 

I agree man. I was also in at 2700. Not at 4000. Like you said, I’ll buy 2 1050s, one in 9mm and one in 40. And I’m sure I’ll put out the same high quality ammo. Once we get to 1000rds per hour capability I’m good. I load on a Lee loadmaster right now and honestly it’s a great press, and I can do 500 rounds per hour while taking my time and my ammo is very consistent and accurate. If the  lee is the Ford, and the Dillion is the caddy, I’m sure going up to a 1050 will be great for me. The Mk7 would have been nice, but not for that price. Now the mk7 is the Ferrari, that I can’t afford. 

I feel like they just lost the a large part of hobbists market at that 4000. Maybe they’re cool with just the commercial guys, and the wealthy hobbists. Hopefully prices will come back down. But it’ll be to late for me. I’m buying a 1050 as soon as we sell our house and move into the new one. Which will hopefully will be next month. I won’t be in the market for another progressive for a long long time. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hear you.  I don’t skimp on my toys when it’s within reason (to my wife’s dismay).  I was holding off on upgrading my 650s until I could get the Evolution ordered - but I’ll order the first 1050/MBF combo next week.   Upside is at least I can get it now.  I don’t do waiting well... as the poor guys @ Atlas Gunworks can attest ‘ no sir... it’s not ready yet.  Didn’t you just call us yesterday?’  

18 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

I hear you.  I don’t skimp on my toys when it’s within reason (to my wife’s dismay).  I was holding off on upgrading my 650s until I could get the Evolution ordered - but I’ll order the first 1050/MBF combo next week.   Upside is at least I can get it now.  I don’t do waiting well... as the poor guys @ Atlas Gunworks can attest ‘ no sir... it’s not ready yet.  Didn’t you just call us yesterday?’  

Have you seen the new Dillion RL1100? Seems to have addressed a few of the “short comings” of the 1050, or made some upgrades. Now my decision is do I buy the rl1100, or do I try and find a cheap super 1050 since they’ll be making room for the new ones. If i could get the press plus mbf for under 2k, my wife would be very happy lol. 

19 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

...I feel like they just lost the a large part of hobbists market at that 4000. Maybe they’re cool with just the commercial guys, and the wealthy hobbists. Hopefully prices will come back down. But it’ll be to late for me. I’m buying a 1050 as soon as we sell our house and move into the new one. Which will hopefully will be next month. I won’t be in the market for another progressive for a long long time. 

I have a feeling that most of the people will go ahead and get the Evolution Pro package as the price jump from the basic Evolution to the Pro is not that much. As I have mentioned in the past it does NOT matter if they lose a large part of the hobbyist market if the remaining market share matches their production capacity. I would expect the price to move down a bit (or sensors etc. thrown in) if production capacity ends up exceeding demand.

If I already have an autodrive on my 1050 (I have the 1050x), can I just add an Evolution press to my current system? Would I still have to pay $4000?

I would like to have the extra station for the powder check since I like to seat and crimp in separate stations. I would also like to eventually purchase the primer sensor and collator later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, tanks said:

I have a feeling that most of the people will go ahead and get the Evolution Pro package as the price jump from the basic Evolution to the Pro is not that much. As I have mentioned in the past it does NOT matter if they lose a large part of the hobbyist market if the remaining market share matches their production capacity. I would expect the price to move down a bit (or sensors etc. thrown in) if production capacity ends up exceeding demand.

I think you’re right. They don’t have to production capacity to keep up with sales at 2700. Seems like they’re even having trouble keeping up with orders at 4000. Hopefully after the all the pre orders are filled, and these things actually are in stock to order, the prices will come down. 

45 minutes ago, camaross400 said:

If I already have an autodrive on my 1050 (I have the 1050x), can I just add an Evolution press to my current system? Would I still have to pay $4000?

I would like to have the extra station for the powder check since I like to seat and crimp in separate stations. I would also like to eventually purchase the primer sensor and collator later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 4000 is just for the manual evo press. So yes, if you wanted to add the evolution press you’d have to pay 4K. The evo plus auto drive is like 5-7k. 

3 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

Have you seen the new Dillion RL1100? Seems to have addressed a few of the “short comings” of the 1050, or made some upgrades. Now my decision is do I buy the rl1100, or do I try and find a cheap super 1050 since they’ll be making room for the new ones. If i could get the press plus mbf for under 2k, my wife would be very happy lol. 

No, I was so focused on Mark7 I did not.   Have to wait until April,  but it looks to be the way to go with my budget.  Honestly, it looks like minimal upgrades from the 1050, but it’s something , and well within my budget.  

43 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

No, I was so focused on Mark7 I did not.   Have to wait until April,  but it looks to be the way to go with my budget.  Honestly, it looks like minimal upgrades from the 1050, but it’s something , and well within my budget.  

Ya they didn’t change much. That’s why I’m wondering if it’s worth paying 2k for it, or finding a new S1050 discounted. For 1500 or less, it would be a sweet deal. But i guess if the new RL1100 is that much of an improvement, the few hundred extra is worth it, especially since this should last for the rest of my life..

If the rumored price of $2,000 is accurate, that’s only a $200 bump over the current 1050 pricing.   This hobby costs, and  I don’t mind paying that at all for a better mouse trap.   Beats paying almost double for the same mousetrap just because I didn’t get in line fast enough.  Waiting until April is the bigger issue.   

Edited by OptimiStick

16 hours ago, tanks said:

Definitely agree, having started with a manual Evo and adding the autodrive later to make it a Pro, if I had to do it over again I'd just get the Pro right off the bat.  Not only is it more efficient, the quality of output is higher and it makes it much easier to tune the press.  For anyone who's a dedicated competition shooter kicking out 20k+ rounds a year, the range of costs we're discussing here are not out of line, you're already spending multi thousands of dollars a year on the sport between guns, gear and ammo.  If you're not shooting competition, then the value proposition might be different, but the product is clearly geared toward the competition market.  In that market, I don't think you'll find many (or any) actual owners of an Evo Pro or Revo who will tell you to save your pennies and just get the 1050 with an Autodrive rather than getting the MK7.   

I  must be the odd duck kicking out 20K + per year without an autodrive. Heck, I'm still manually filling primer tubes. I enjoy the reloading process and have no plans to automate it. If I start pre-processing cases, I'll automate that though.

The one drawback I think I'll have, is what I'd ultimately like to add to my 650 / MBF is swaging and powder-check. I think since the 1050/1100 primes on the downstroke it's not a combined station anymore, so I'll still be flying without powder-check unless I combine the seat/crimp process, which I do not want to do.

30 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

I  must be the odd duck kicking out 20K + per year without an autodrive. Heck, I'm still manually filling primer tubes. I enjoy the reloading process and have no plans to automate it. If I start pre-processing cases, I'll automate that though...

I think "enjoying the   reloading process" is the big difference. I do not enjoy it. To me it is a chore that I have to do. At one point I even paid a manufacturer to make my ammo but out of 10K rounds he made for me about 10% would not go into battery due to a concentricity issue though they would case gauge fine. So, when the Revo became available I jumped at it. A few hours and I have enough ammo for a month. Plus I don't have to worry about a sore shoulder etc..

I like it. I like the tinkering of new loads, different loads for different guns, etc. But that's a few hours a week I can throw on an audiobook and tune out the world. The sorting, and any prep work (decapping, wet tumbling , etc etc) not so much. But the actual reloading part - I dig. Now that the kids are older, I have the time for it. Now don't get me wrong, I love the bullet feeder and case feeder, but pulling that handle doesn't bother me a bit. I started this sport with a single 550. The wife and I took a Bob Vogel class, and needed I think...2500 rounds each for the class. I did them all on the 550 over a week (no bullet feeder or case feeder). That sucked, and is what drove me to invest in the 650 and MBF. Now I'm ready to upgrade again, hence me trying to get into the Revo but settling for 1100.

3 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

I  must be the odd duck kicking out 20K + per year without an autodrive. Heck, I'm still manually filling primer tubes. I enjoy the reloading process and have no plans to automate it. If I start pre-processing cases, I'll automate that though.

The one drawback I think I'll have, is what I'd ultimately like to add to my 650 / MBF is swaging and powder-check. I think since the 1050/1100 primes on the downstroke it's not a combined station anymore, so I'll still be flying without powder-check unless I combine the seat/crimp process, which I do not want to do.

This has been my dilemma also. I really value my powder check die, it’s caught a few squibs for me, and a double charge or two. I haven’t had a squib round since getting my powder check (20k rounds later). Before that I had one every few thousand.  I already seat and crimp at the same station so I can use my powder check. And i really don’t have any issues at all. But I would like to separate those steps and that’s why I liked the mk7. 10 stations is awesome. To bad the new Dillion didn’t add another one. When I move to the 1050 I’ll probably continue to seat and crimp at the same station, or I’ve seen people set up back up cameras that look directly into the case after the powder drop and show on a tablet. Maybe that could be a substitute for the powder check, since I could look into the case without having to move and look into each one on the press. 

I think the one disadvantage of combing the two steps seems to be searing depth variance. Today I was measuring my first few rounds coming off the press to verify my Oal and I was getting rounds between 1.165-1.172. Tomorrow I’ll take the powder check out and seat and crimp separately and see if has less variance, if not, I’ll have no problem combing them going forward. I get a nice consistent crimp though even with the combo die. Right now I use a Lee. Maybe a higher quality combo die like a Redding can give me more consistent oals. Will see. 

2 hours ago, tanks said:

I think "enjoying the   reloading process" is the big difference. I do not enjoy it. To me it is a chore that I have to do. At one point I even paid a manufacturer to make my ammo but out of 10K rounds he made for me about 10% would not go into battery due to a concentricity issue though they would case gauge fine. So, when the Revo became available I jumped at it. A few hours and I have enough ammo for a month. Plus I don't have to worry about a sore shoulder etc..

Ya that’s the difference. I love to reload. It’s only second to shooting. I try and have something to load every night. My wife has a couch and TV in my reloading room cause that’s where I spend my time. She watches tv and I load. Pistol, rifle, ARs, precision bolt guns. I love it all. Trying new loads, tweaking then to get just a little more accuracy. I love it. I hate case prep though. Hate trimming rifle brass, and I hate sorting pistol brass I pickup at the range. My wife does the sorting, and I give her an unlimited amount of ammo to shoot.  

My right arm and shoulder has built up extra stamina from pulling that level. It’s reallt evident when I push though size my 40 brass prior to loading the first time. The single stage I use for that is on the opposite side of my bench so Its all backwards, so I have to pull the lever with  my left arm,  and I have to take breaks every 25-50rds, cause my left arm and shoulder gets tired from pulling the lever, and my right arm and shoulder get tired from picking up and placing shells. My body is soo used to doing the opposite. But I really enjoy reloading. It’s a hobby in itself. 

I was getting that variance too on oal.  I tried everything to clean it up.  Clamping Whidden toolhead. Needle bearing and tightening down the shell plate, different stems in my Dillon seating die. Switching to Redding competition seating die. None of it helped.  I began to think it was just life with a progressive. On a suggestion from someone on here I tried sorting my brass.  That cleaned it up.  I also ran a big batch of new starline brass I had as a test.   1.1560 to 1.1565 is my biggest variance , and usually not even that much . So now I sort my brass , except for when I know I can’t recover my brass.  When I run a pure mix it’s like 1.1560 to 1.1620. I also noticed on some bullets, it’s really all over the place.  Xtreme and Raneir pills were particularly bad for me.  My theory is they (at least in those particular batches) must have a lot of variance in the ogive.  I’ve been loading DG, Acme, Precision Delta and Montana Gold and they’ve been solid.   WIN is my favorite headstanp to load, followed by F.C. , Blazer, and Starline.  F-C , R-P, R.-P., are also consistent OAl for me, but they feel a lot ‘tighter’ going thru my Lee U-Die. WIN, Blazer, and Starline are much smoother in the U-Die, still consistent OAL, and still have good neck tension and primer pocket uniformity.   Stepped brass gets culled, and so does Perfecta. I swear blind drunkards drill their flash holes.   My decapper hates them.  I also have a ton of NATO but I haven’t gotten around to uniforming the primer pockets. 

Edited by OptimiStick
typo

I use the same brass for major, win, blazer, FC, mostly, then I’ll allow R-P, Speer, PNC. Everything else goes in the minor bucket, including perfecta. The only ones I toss is any stepped cases, and FM. typically after the 3rd or so firing the brass I use for major rounds  also go oh the minor bucket, or loaded for lost brass matches or practice when it’s super wet and gross and I leave the brass. 

From time to time I’ll sort by headstamp and my oal is a bit more consistent. I’m gonna take my powder check off today and seat and crimp separate and see if it helps. I can see the 8gs of hs-6 in the case so it’s not as crucial. I really like it for when I’m loading my wife’s 9mm ammo, as 3gs of titegroup is tiny. Same for 40, 4.5 grains is next to nothing in that big case. So that’s when I really value the powder check. 

I’m really excited for getting the 1050 and bullet feeder. Right now I put out around 500 per hour on my loadmaster, so if I can double that on the 1050 I’d be really happy. 

I'm minor. My typical load is 3.5 Gr of VV- N320 , so powder check would be nice for the exact reason you stated. I even have the powder check. Just no free station to use it. Doesn't look like that'll change with the 1050/1100 either.I just have to watch as each case rolls around to the bullet drop station. So far I've only had 1 squib.

11 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

i pre-ordered the 1100.

Nice!!! I can’t wait to order mine. Probably gonna be another 6 weeks to so. On another hand I took my powder check off the press and added the FCD to separate the steps and my oal got a little more consistent. It’s tough with mixed range brass, even if I’m keeping it to just a few brands. I was aiming for 1.165, and it seemed to be between there and 1.167. So not bad. But then I’d get a random 1.159, or 1.176. Not sure what’s up with that. 

If you are getting just 2 thousand of a difference (1.165 - 1.167) with mixed brass, you are golden! There are people that don't get that with even with the same headstamp! (Possibly something wrong in there)  

Edited by LowBoost