Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

School me on the 2011 platform please

Drtheo

I have been thinking about building one up, but I have a number of questions on parts availability / interchangeability.

Are the top ends the same as a 1911?

Are the frame components the same as a 1911 (other then the frame, grip body, trigger and mag release)

Does anyone make a slim single stack grip for them?

Are the frames deigned for ramped barrels?

Any other insights would be great.

I have been thinking about building one up, but I have a number of questions on parts availability / interchangeability.

Are the top ends the same as a 1911?

Are the frame components the same as a 1911 (other then the frame, grip body, trigger and mag release)

Does anyone make a slim single stack grip for them?

Are the frames deigned for ramped barrels?

Any other insights would be great.
Yes, the top ends are the same as 1911s mostly.

No, the aren't single stack 1911 grips available as the frame and grip typically must be one.

Most frames such as Phoenix Trinity and CK Arms are Clark/Para ramped frames. STI makes Nowlin cut ramped frames.

Most of your unfit internal 1911 parts should work.

The key in the 2011 platform is finding a grip module that fits YOUR hand properly. Whether plastic, metal, stippled, etc.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Actually, STI has one coming out soon called the Staccato or something... kinda dumb to take a glorious platform that takes mags that hold 20 rounds of freedom and turn it into an 8+1 relic... but STI is doing exactly that.

Do you have access to a milling machine?  That makes the work much easier/quicker/accurate.  How much do you want to spend?  Quality parts are going to run you over $1000, at least.  It can be mostly done by hand, but there are some special tools that are necessary that you will need to include in the budget also.

Actually, STI has one coming out soon called the Staccato or something... kinda dumb to take a glorious platform that takes mags that hold 20 rounds of freedom and turn it into an 8+1 relic... but STI is doing exactly that.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I'm with you brotha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Since I am going to build a 2011 this thread gave me some info I was looking for pertaining to the ramp cut on the frames.

I have the feeling there are going to be quite a few grip modules being purchased as well.

These forums are a great resource. 

19 hours ago, assaulter said:

Do you have access to a milling machine?  That makes the work much easier/quicker/accurate.  How much do you want to spend?  Quality parts are going to run you over $1000, at least.  It can be mostly done by hand, but there are some special tools that are necessary that you will need to include in the budget also.

Yes, I have a mill at home. I also have the hand tools needed for standard 1911 fitting.  Are there any special type tools needed for the 2011?

1 hour ago, Drtheo said:

Yes, I have a mill at home. I also have the hand tools needed for standard 1911 fitting.  Are there any special type tools needed for the 2011?

The biggest difference is how you are going to hold the frame. The way it is cut out for the grip makes it very difficult to hold any way other than the dust cover.