Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Elusive hammer follow issue resolved with new grip

ALRAY

I was having occasional hammer follow on a 2011 open gun.  It was a challenge to diagnose because the hammer follow would only occur during live fire. I went through the usual suspects.  First I tried adjusting the sear spring, but it would still happen even with up to a 4lb trigger pull.  Next, I replaced the sear and hammer with new EGW parts.  Using trigger adjustment pins I could see that there was very good positive engagement, and again, I couldn’t replicate the hammer follow except during live fire.  I had already checked the grip screws which were Loctited after prior experience on a different gun on which loose grip screws causing hammer follow.  In order to see exactly what was going on during live fire, I fired the pistol with the grip safety removed.  Apparently during live fire, the left leaf of the sear spring was jumping off the sear and would settle under the sear, pushing up from the bottom.  It was the plastic STI grip that was either cracked or worn to the point that it was allowing the sear spring to move under fire.  I couldn’t find any visible cracks in the grip. After replacing the grip, the pistol is up and running, with the original sear, hammer and sear spring. 

I should have suspected this issue was slowly in the making.  About a year ago, the left leaf began slipping off to the left of the sear.  After reading around the forum, I fixed this by shimming the sear spring so it wouldn’t fall off and it worked fine for over a year.  

One possibility that I did not experiment with was simply changing the grip screw bushings.  I don’t think this would have solved it because when observing the amount of play the sear spring had in the new old grip vs the new one, there was significantly less in the new grip.

Not sure.  I think the problem was unique to this gun.  I have several other 2011's with more rounds than this one and they show no signs of similar grip issues. I guess it's just something to keep in mind when diagnosing hammer follow, along with the other things I tried.

On 10/9/2018 at 3:52 PM, SlappyMcTrigger said:

I had this same problem. You can also peen the sear spring towards the bottom to eliminate the wiggle room within the grip.

Thanks- I bought a used 2011 and the spring was peened out as you describe. I never understood why they did it until now!

• 1 year later...
On 10/9/2018 at 3:52 PM, SlappyMcTrigger said:

I had this same problem. You can also peen the sear spring towards the bottom to eliminate the wiggle room within the grip.

Hello. After experiencing hammerfollow at my last match on three of the last 10 stages I have been doing some research into what may cause it and came across this thread. This only happens during live fire and cannot replicate it any other time.  It is a 2011 open pistol with a DVC style plastic grip. Grip screws were loose. I snugged them up but haven't had a chance to look into anything else yet. Could you please describe where I would peen the bottom of the sear spring to prevent movement and play? Thanks

2 hours ago, Powder Finger said:

about 1/8 inch (maybe a little higher) from bottom slot on left (sear leg side) use a dull or rounded pointy punch.

just displace a bump to the left side.

Exactly or buy a new one. The one I had an issue with was a C&S (IIRC) but I’ve had great luck with them in every grip save one of the few plastic grips I have. I went scorched earth and replaced the whole ignition setup when it was a narrow $7 spring. 🙃

On 10/9/2018 at 3:22 PM, ALRAY said:

I was having occasional hammer follow on a 2011 open gun.  It was a challenge to diagnose because the hammer follow would only occur during live fire. I went through the usual suspects.  First I tried adjusting the sear spring, but it would still happen even with up to a 4lb trigger pull.  Next, I replaced the sear and hammer with new EGW parts.  Using trigger adjustment pins I could see that there was very good positive engagement, and again, I couldn’t replicate the hammer follow except during live fire.  I had already checked the grip screws which were Loctited after prior experience on a different gun on which loose grip screws causing hammer follow.  In order to see exactly what was going on during live fire, I fired the pistol with the grip safety removed.  Apparently during live fire, the left leaf of the sear spring was jumping off the sear and would settle under the sear, pushing up from the bottom.  It was the plastic STI grip that was either cracked or worn to the point that it was allowing the sear spring to move under fire.  I couldn’t find any visible cracks in the grip. After replacing the grip, the pistol is up and running, with the original sear, hammer and sear spring. 

I should have suspected this issue was slowly in the making.  About a year ago, the left leaf began slipping off to the left of the sear.  After reading around the forum, I fixed this by shimming the sear spring so it wouldn’t fall off and it worked fine for over a year.  

One possibility that I did not experiment with was simply changing the grip screw bushings.  I don’t think this would have solved it because when observing the amount of play the sear spring had in the new old grip vs the new one, there was significantly less in the new grip.

This might help...........  https://www.egwguns.com/evolved-1911-sear-spring-2-pack

;)

an 1911 searspring can be to short/not wide enough for a 2011 grip

I put the searspring upside down under water with the 90° lip just above the surface, heat untill it gets red hot and let it cool slowly

than I hammer the lip from 90° to 45°, this way the searspring wil sit a little higher and keep contact with the sear