Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cold Bluing PT EVO Grip (Touch-up)

Avedis

Hey guys, tonight I installed the new Limcat V2 magwell which requires grinding off the three little "tabs" on the PT EVO grip, just above where the magwell sits.

Now, there is a bit of stainless showing above the magwell. Even though it's a race gun, my OCD wont allow it, so i'm looking for a quick way to touchup the metal to blacken it. It doesn't have to be a perfect match to the black PVD coating thats on there, I just want to get rid of the stainless color. 

The standard cold blues I use from Amazon/Brownells aren't bluing the 17-4 stainless of the PT EVO grip. I know that cold blue generally doesn't work on high quality stainless, but are there any tips or products specifically for stainless that I can use to touch this up? Seems wasteful to refinish the whole grip. 

Edited by Avedis

Sharpie and/or shoe polish

cold blues don’t work on stainless because stainless doesn’t oxidize (rust) like steel does.  There are some similar products like cold blue for stainless but they are hit and miss whether they’ll work depending on the actual stainless.

Sharpie will save the most agony for the least amount of money until you want to waste the money of refinishing the whole thing again.  This is just my opinion for a comp gun that’s gonna be run hard and will show more signs of wear.  It’s like the first scratch on a new car, it won’t be the last but there definitely no reason to have it totally repainted

1 hour ago, drewbeck said:

This is also the place to go to learn about almost all available metal platings and coatings, processes, etc

https://www.caswellplating.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=Stainless+black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 Great place with great products. I have made many orders here. Great tutorials also. Let us know how it turns out...

18 hours ago, Avedis said:

Thanks for the recommendations. I picked up this stainless blackener from Caswell per their customer service rep's recommendation.

https://www.caswellplating.com/stainless-steel-blackener-gel-kit.html

I will let you know how it goes. 

Before & after pics would be great.  I've used Birchwood Casey Perma Blue & Alumminum Black with mixed results.

• 2 weeks later...

Applied the Caswell stainless blackener gel, worked great. It turned out slightly darker than the PVD Coating that was on the grip, but i'm okay with it.  Pictures below, let me know if you have any questions. 

Stainless (grip was scrubbed and degreased)

PfmfzOY.jpg

Applying gel

l3Yuor8.jpg

Gel washed off, it leaves an almost charcoal like powder residue on top which needs to be scrubbed off and degreased prior to second/third application of gel

pStVpEW.jpg

Two applications of gel later, grip was rewashed/degreased, then re-oiled.

Z5iw9Lh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

@ARac40 did you ever try this on your PT grip? I feel like it would be pretty difficult to get it applied evenly in a timely manner and that removal would be a real PIA even rinsing.

I just used this kit for my LSI beavertail and it turned out great. Took me two different prep and applications though. First attempt was terribly splotchy. You can see my results here: https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/278243-2011-steel-grips/?do=findComment&comment=3167320

I did the whole grip. It turned out alright. It was hard to work within the time constraints to get it even. But, it’s better than nothing and Its now black not bright stainless from the factory.