Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PPQ Carry Optics build

MemphisMechanic

Yeah. It’s a 4”. Mostly because... why not?

I sent my slide off of to Mark at L&M Precision Gunworks a month ago, after he answered a few of my emails on a Sunday. He just finished cutting on it today.

We... mutually decided to go full retard. 

DPP 2.5 MOA was buried deep enough that the optic’s underside will be the firing pin channel’s cover. 

Weight before milling: 11.875 oz

Weight after milling: 8.875 oz

(DPP weighs 1.9oz so most of that is coming right back, but I was adamant I wanted to try to peel an ounce or so out of the slide if possible.)

PPQ slides are insanely thick, so this may hold up. But we’re gonna have to see if I can manage to crack it, in which case it’ll be time for slide #2.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :D 

CDCDA95C-62EB-43D4-A52E-CDD01A7038A9.thumb.jpeg.5a4c0ae5fa8616ebcfbbae9c91b46313.jpeg

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I will admit - I'll be interested to see how this turns out. I'm probably going to ditch my Canik in CO for the 2019 season, and either a Q5 or PPQ build seems to be the most likely route I'll end up taking.

Are you going to look to add the lost ~1oz back via a guide rod or some other means?

6 hours ago, random_guy7531 said:

and either a Q5 or PPQ build seems to be the most likely route I'll end up taking.

I ran my Q5 / DPP for two matches in CO. I’ll never again consider a gun like the CORE/MOS/Q5 series: to switch fluidly between iron sighted guns (man these ads are annoying) and ones with dots? The dot NEEDS to be milled down into the slide as deeply as you can get it.

Mark mills the slide so that your optic is an interference fit; really takes the stress off the screws. You cannot get as low or as tight with work on a Q5 as you could if you started with a 4” or 5” PPQ M2, so that’s the route I took.

Are you going to look to add the lost ~1oz back via a guide rod or some other means?

Yes. Via some other means. Already running a stainless steel guide rod, and I’m considering filling the backstrap with around 4oz of tungsten. ;) 

Carry Optics doesn’t have a weight restriction beyond the 45oz maximum. You can add all the weight to a PPQ that you want. (I hear Max Michel is running SSI’s grip module for the X5 that puts it at 40ish ounces due to a large tungsten weight in the backstrap.)

I’m not going to mess with it overly much. Tinkering with the gun for weeks won’t help me nearly as much as sending 2,500 rounds downrange. But I will probably do something quick and simple while doing a silicon carbide grit job on the grip.

3 hours ago, johnbu said:

CO and milled slides for low dot is the way to go.   

Definitely.

Absolutely no comparison between this and my Q5 with the dot much higher.

300 rounds downrange tonight and no cracks in the slide. Much easier to find the dot on presentation, but still plenty of dryfire is needed to make it halfway as fast as irons.

On 9/1/2018 at 2:01 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Fresh from my mailbox...

7C0B51B4-6585-4608-A5BA-1E1C293F5754.jpeg

SICK!!!! You should remove the black finish from the rest of the slide. I think it would look sicker!!

How does it feel? Less felt recoil and faster cycling?

Edited by jaep1911

@jaep1911 it’s getting cerakoted stainless. Don’t worry, that’s in the cards. I’m going to remove the trigger and the shield from the DPP and refinish them to match the slide so the whole gun has a silver/black combination look going on. It’ll look really sharp.

As far as recoil / handling? To be continued. I was using hot ammo with the factory recoil spring. I’ll let you know when I have the proper spring and a well tuned 132ish PF load worked out. Along with some range time to adapt to the gun’s new timing.

3 hours ago, armedmoose said:

Is that milling CO legal?  I somehow interpreted milling for sight was the only allowed modification.

It is legal. Read the rules that went into effect when the division left provisional status, and was made permanent.

(Happened at the same time aftermarket safeties, hammers, and things like APEX flat triggers were OK’d in Production.)

There is also no weight stipulation beyond the 45oz max. SSI sells a grip module for the X5 that is packed full of tungsten, which I heard at least one high-level SIG shooter is using.

11 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It is legal. Read the rules that went into effect when the division left provisional status, and was made permanent.

(Happened at the same time aftermarket safeties, hammers, and things like APEX flat triggers were OK’d in Production.)

Thanks for the info!  This gives me some more options.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 9:06 AM, Salsantini said:

Does the cut also fit the factory fixed sight insert?

I’m unsure of what you mean. Cutting a gun like this deletes all traces of the rear rear sight’s dovetail. It’s gone.

If you have a gun (non-Q5) with the ordinary PPQ slide, Mark is more confident he’ll be able to go deep and really get the optic mounted low.

22 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I’m unsure of what you mean. Cutting a gun like this deletes all traces of the rear rear sight’s dovetail. It’s gone.

Sorry.  I was talking about the top insert in this picture.  I just realized the cut you had done is different to the standard factory set up below.  Looks like your cut sets the sight lower in the slide

images.jpg

Edited by Salsantini
Clarification

Okay. Yes.

Your looking at the method which the Q5 Match attaches either your  rear sight or a red dot to the slide. 

The problem for me... is how high the optic is mounted. I shot it in two matches and then had my other Walther - a PPQ - cut for the lowest possible mount that I can get.

• 4 months later...
11 minutes ago, threat said:

I like your style.

That Q5 slide is THICCCCC. Gives me...ideas. There is a used 5" for sale near me cheap I might have to toy around with.

The standard 5” has less slide weight and can be cut deeper than a Q5 for a dot by a considerable margin. Unless you want to go back and forth between irons and a dot with one gun, there’s no reason to buy a Q:

• 5 years later...
On 8/29/2018 at 8:52 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Yeah. It’s a 4”. Mostly because... why not?

I sent my slide off of to Mark at L&M Precision Gunworks a month ago, after he answered a few of my emails on a Sunday. He just finished cutting on it today.

We... mutually decided to go full retard. 

DPP 2.5 MOA was buried deep enough that the optic’s underside will be the firing pin channel’s cover. 

Weight before milling: 11.875 oz

Weight after milling: 8.875 oz

(DPP weighs 1.9oz so most of that is coming right back, but I was adamant I wanted to try to peel an ounce or so out of the slide if possible.)

PPQ slides are insanely thick, so this may hold up. But we’re gonna have to see if I can manage to crack it, in which case it’ll be time for slide #2.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :D 

CDCDA95C-62EB-43D4-A52E-CDD01A7038A9.thumb.jpeg.5a4c0ae5fa8616ebcfbbae9c91b46313.jpeg

How was the reliability and durability after these mods?