Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spotting Scope

Boudreaux78

I have both a Vortex Razor 11-33x and Vortex Razor 20-60x spotting scope

Id tell you that the 11-33x is he most useful. The big spotting scope is great, but the 11-33x is lighter, smaller, and works great for seeing hits on paper to zero at 100-200 yards, and has a wider field of view for calling hits on steel out to 1000 yards. If money is saved, I’d use it for a tripod setup for it. 

My 11-33x is a straight version, and 20-60x is angled. I prefer the straight version for both standing, and seated use too.

I have a great set of leopold binos, but they aren’t quite good enough to see a 223 at 200 yards.

vortex does make nice optics, just not sure I want to spend that kind of money on something I might use two or three times a year.

I have a Vortex Viper 20-60 and it is nice.  The price point is about $750 . It outperforms most spotting scope of people on the line at my gun club by a good margin.  Most are economy POS optics.  Having looked through multiple spotting scopes that cost 4 figures I would go that route if I do it again.  I can resolve .224 caliber holes in paper at 200 no problem.  The economy scopes cannot do that, maybe with a shoot-n-c target.

You will have difficulty resolving bullet holes at 500 with anything. 

300 or so is as good as I have gotten, give or take some depending on lighting. 

If you don't require a milling reticle, the field opens considerably. The razor HD would be a great option and that is a decent price.

4 hours ago, mgrs said:

You will have difficulty resolving bullet holes at 500 with anything. 

300 or so is as good as I have gotten, give or take some depending on lighting. 

If you don't require a milling reticle, the field opens considerably. The razor HD would be a great option and that is a decent price.

Please reconsider your statement.  With a number of options, our club resolves .510 holes at 1000 yards.

But it gets pricey quick.

Wayne

FCSA

1 minute ago, synchronicity said:

Please reconsider your statement.  With a number of options, our club resolves .510 holes at 1000 yards.

But it gets pricey quick.

Wayne

FCSA

Fair, a Leupold Mark 4 spotter is the best I have used. There is probably better equipment.