Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Open Pistol (Guidance/Advise Please)

Sonic52

Hi all,

I have been shooting a CZ shadow for a while now, but would be keen to make the jump into an Open Pistol, as they look so much fun.  Whilst I am still considering the Czechmate 9mm, I have heard that they are only designed to take minimum ‘Major’ pressures and thus wanted to also look at the Tanfoglio range to see if this would be a better choice.

Thus was hoping to get some valuable insight and feedback from you all if possible please, on the following Tang options, as to which one you would propose would be the better choice for someone new to the Open division.  Options include:-

1. Tanfoglio Custom Gold Xtreme – I have the opportunity to buy a ‘demo’ version (38 super) with a few hundred rounds on it for circa NZD $7k (I reside in Auckland NZ) but it would appear that they come with 1 barrel configuration and with V12 ports, so I am guessing that this one is loud ! However what your views on this one, are they much better than the Gold Team Match ones?
    Any particular, Pro’s, Cons etc.

2. Tanfoglio Domina (basic model (not xtreme))– Can buy new either 9mm or 38 super, but would need to add RTS2 and mount, so again all up circa NZD $7k.   Would this be a better route to follow for an Open Gun, and if so, any particular reason why.

3. Tanfoglio Gold Match – Would need to export from USA, but landed would be circa $5k, whats your views on this one, as I had noted some concerns on its design etc, but seems to have 2 barrels and V12 config?

4. Other Tanfoglio Options – Would it be best to opt for another Tanfoglio platform (eg Limited custom) and then try and get new barrel + Comp fitted, or just settle for the Czechmate?

Any insight or guidance would be appreciated, and any aspects that need special consideration or attention please so that I can try and avoid a costly mistake.

Thanks

7 hours ago, Sonic52 said:

Whilst I am still considering the Czechmate 9mm, I have heard that they are only designed to take minimum ‘Major’ pressures and thus wanted to also look at the Tanfoglio range to see if this would be a better choice.

I'm confused by this comment, is there a prohibition on handloading ammunition in your area?  Do you have reservations about shooting major?

All,

Thanks for the response and info, this is much appreciated.

Just to confirm that there are no reloading restrictions in nz, was just concerned that the czeckmate would be a little more fragile, but happy to be corrected.

Matt1 - I guess you will probably be sorted for ammo when you come over for the nationals but if not and you need to reload, feel free to shout out as I have a Dillon 550 which you can use.

On 8/3/2018 at 3:48 PM, Sonic52 said:

All,

Thanks for the response and info, this is much appreciated.

Just to confirm that there are no reloading restrictions in nz, was just concerned that the czeckmate would be a little more fragile, but happy to be corrected.

Matt1 - I guess you will probably be sorted for ammo when you come over for the nationals but if not and you need to reload, feel free to shout out as I have a Dillon 550 which you can use.

I'm happy to correct you, the Czechmate is every bit as stout as a Tanfoglio shooting 9 major (perhaps moreso).

IMG_20180801_094451-2389x1503.thumb.jpg.cc61883de19ea101f520ba5901c5a106.jpg

All,

Thanks again for the feedback and clarification and good to know that the czechmate would be a suitable option too, and will widen the search for either a tanfoglio or czechmate.

Thanks again, your input and guidance is most appreciated.

With either one of these, I'd want the magazine situation to be figured out well before I dropped that kind of money. Would suck to find that I couldn't get to 30+ rounds easily and reliably... and I think it's a challenge you face with both brands in Open.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

With either one of these, I'd want the magazine situation to be figured out well before I dropped that kind of money. Would suck to find that I couldn't get to 30+ rounds easily and reliably... and I think it's a challenge you face with both brands in Open.

I agree the availably of off the shelf mag parts to get 29+1 tips the scales in favor of the CZ over the Tanfoglio, but where are you getting 30+1 easily and reliably?  Even my best 2011 mags get 29+1

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I made it up? ?

I’ve never shot Open. I know they hold 30 when barnied up. And they are annoyingly loud, and that’s about it. “30+/-“ is what I was meaning to type.

From my experience, 29+1 is the industry gold standard, 30+1 is rare, but attainable (and is hard to keep reliable), and there's always someone chasing 31+1, but I've never personally seen it.

CZ 29+1 is easily attainable in 2 ways.  Either a CZ Custom 170mm tube for $130, $38 basepad and 13 coil spring and follower.  The other way is a 20 rd TS mag $47, Springer Precision basepad $60 and a 13 coil spring.  I have both and both work equally well.

The problem for the Tanfo is any availability.  MBX is closest but I could never get one to work perfectly everytime.