Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124 vs 135 Acme Rn, help me choose

Jollymon32

CZ Accushadow using N320 powder.

So I ordered the trial packs, created the ladders to determine powder loads, and tested for accuracy shooting from a bench with pistol rests.

The conclusion,:  there is no conclusive difference between the two.

They both are  extremely accurate and I cannot tell the recoil difference between the two, even though the 135 is using less powder.

The only difference is that the 125 can be loaded a bit longer than the 135.

i am leaning towards the 125 as they are a bit cheaper.

Any personal experience with this dilemma?

I just had a freind do the same thing after ordering 135 to test out.  I was almost sure I was going to go this route next and he says he cant tell the difference at all and wish he got 147.  If it feels the same I would save the money and order 125.

I'd love to hear what other people think that have more experience with 135.

Slightly off topic: although the difference in feel isn't much between 124 and 135, is it different enough between 124 and 147 to warrant using the larger pills?

At what weight does the heavy for caliber feeling begin to shine?

I feel that there is a big difference between 124 and 147 when I made the switch with a glock in the past.  When I switched to all metal pistols it seemed a little sluggish but I may give it a try again.

I stagger-loaded a magazine with my 125gr / Prima-V load at 135pf, and my buddies 3.2TG / 147 FMJ load @ 132 pf.

There was no perceptible differene in recoil. Neither of us could tell which round had just gone off.

I really don’t think ammo softness is this giant reason to reload like most of us think it is. Yes, all of these reloads are much nicer to shoot than factory... but they’re all closely matched to each other. More than we want to admit, especially when paying a premium for 147s.

I loaded 147s for two years. Then 135s for three more. I’ve shot 124/125 ever since, and don’t feel like I’m giving anything up. Even in my 26oz polymer gun... it just doesn’t make much difference.

Most guys spend way too much time looking for the magically soft recipe.

Instead, focus on tuning your loads for *accuracy.*

I currently shoot 137-139 power factor ammo which my Walther Q5 will absolutely drive nails with. Knowing your gun will shoot less than 2” at 25 yards with the ammo you walk to the line with on match day is really helpful to your mental game.

Above ^^^^^ I agree

IF you don't feel the difference great 

BUT

On a timer do a bunch of practice drills and see if your A Zone only hits are quicker with one load over another.

I suggest you do this over several range trips so its not just a one time try.

Or

do the simple thing choose a bullet, work up an accurate load and shoot it until you know it well enough to 

never second guess the load or how you're going to shoot it at different distances or types / degree of difficulty targets.

As stated above I chased the softest load etc. Until just before a couple of large SS matches when I went back to my 45

and found I was splitting the same times (A zone only hits) as my minor guns.

Shoot more and think about reloading less

Edited by jcc7x7

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I stagger-loaded a magazine with my 125gr / Prima-V load at 135pf, and my buddies 3.2TG / 147 FMJ load @ 132 pf.

There was no perceptible differene in recoil. Neither of us could tell which round had just gone off.

I really don’t think ammo softness is this giant reason to reload like most of us think it is. Yes, all of these reloads are much nicer to shoot than factory... but they’re all closely matched to each other. More than we want to admit, especially when paying a premium for 147s.

I loaded 147s for two years. Then 135s for three more. I’ve shot 124/125 ever since, and don’t feel like I’m giving anything up. Even in my 26oz polymer gun... it just doesn’t make much difference.

Most guys spend way too much time looking for the magically soft recipe.

Instead, focus on tuning your loads for *accuracy.*

I currently shoot 137-139 power factor ammo which my Walther Q5 will absolutely drive nails with. Knowing your gun will shoot less than 2” at 25 yards with the ammo you walk to the line with on match day is really helpful to your mental game.

In a nutshell, you have encapsulated what I have perceived and what I am thinking.  

2 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Above ^^^^^ I agree

IF you don't feel the difference great 

BUT

On a timer do a bunch of practice drills and see if your A Zone only hits are quicker with one load over another.

I suggest you do this over several range trips so its not just a one time try.

Or

do the simple thing choose a bullet, work up an accurate load and shoot it until you know it well enough to 

never second guess the load or how you're going to shoot it at different distances or types / degree of difficulty targets.

As stated above I chased the softest load etc. Until just before a couple of large SS matches when I went back to my 45

and found I was splitting the same times (A zone only hits) as my minor guns.

Shoot more and think about reloading less

I would not even be pondering this if Xtreme had not gone tits up.  I have shot about 16k rounds of Xtreme 124 for years, never varying the powder, primer or load (except when I load bunny fart rounds).  I am a creature of habit looking for another projectile to stock up on, perfect the load, and forget.

Jolly

Try Bayou 124 RN as a replacement for the extreme load you shot before or PD for a jacketed replacement.

PD's are going to be slightly more , Bayou's slightly less.

Reduce the load per your chrono on the Bayou's , you may have to increase it for the PD's

IMHO, it seems that iff you have a Very Solid grip, there is

very little difference between 124's and 147's.

BUT, if your grip is NOT Very Solid, you should notice a

difference between the lighter and heavier bullets - you

would probably favor the heavier bullet (Like I do).

I notice a difference between 124/5 and 147 on and off the clock. I do not notice a difference between 124/5 and 135.

147 "seem" slow/sluggish in recoil.  To be fair, I've shot ~15,000 124/5 over the last 18 months and only 500 or so 147. I like the sight tracking along with the slightly smoother recoil of 147s, but I don't shoot them. My timing is based on 124/5's and I "feel" cheap.  

Why do I say feel? For Blue Bullets per case, no discount applied.

-125 = $0.675/rd

-135 = $.071/rd

-147 = $.075/rd

Assuming you shoot 10,000 per year, the difference from 125 to 147 is $75 overall.  For the average person that is an insignificant amount in the grand scheme.

Bottom line - Whatever makes you happy, shoot it.

4 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Assuming you shoot 10,000 per year, the difference from 125 to 147 is $75 overall.  For the average person that is insignificant

Have to agree with SCT above.

BUT, doubt "the average person" shoots 10,000 rounds/year    ?

If you shoot 5,000 rounds/year, the difference is only $38.    ?

2 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

BUT, doubt "the average person" shoots 10,000 rounds/year    ?

Haha you're right Jack. I forgot some of us are over achievers! But I was anticipating to be close to 15k this year... we shall see.

You can drive the gun just as fast with 124/125 (or faster) as you can with 147.  The idea that a cartridge that moves the slide slower and returns the slide to battery later is somehow by default faster is preposterous. 

And remember, at the end of the day, there are guys at your range shooting .40 major, smoking you on splits. ;)

Get the 124gr and practice practice.  Recoil control comes from grip and stance, not how the recoil "feels" in your hands.

I can feel a difference between 124 and 147, not so much between 135s and either. 155s are way different, but noticeably slow cycling.

I shoot 135s of two very different profiles with several different powders because I have found the best accuracy from my Glocks with them with only enough load Dev with to assure minor. I'm lazy, they work, 124s got close with effort, 147s which I used to shoot never did so well.