Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First open gun

ChrisTSO

On 6/22/2018 at 6:02 PM, Wisemenofgotham said:

OP, what is your budget?  If you can manage, I would also suggest that you pick up the Atlas Chaos.  Then, focus on shooting and not worrying about the firearm.

Im trying to stay around that 4k mark. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spend the extra 1k and get the Atlas, I made the mistake and brought a new gun for 4K and was not happy with it at all and the 8 months later brought the atlas and never been happier. And I wish I would have spend the money the first time.  

3 hours ago, Steelix said:

Spend the extra 1k and get the Atlas, I made the mistake and brought a new gun for 4K and was not happy with it at all and the 8 months later brought the atlas and never been happier. And I wish I would have spend the money the first time.  

What does the atlas chaos run? Every time i click on it, it says oops 404 not found. 

I paid roughly 5.3k for mine, it should be here in a week or so. I would go the Atlas route if I were you. Plenty of open shooters in my area and they all advised me to skip the whole STI or CK thing because by the time you finally get them running you will have ended up spending nearly the same amount. On the next note, those companies do not have half the fit and finish an Atlas does. I have got to try multiple Atlas’s now and all I can say is wow..

14 minutes ago, lacivilian said:

I paid roughly 5.3k for mine, it should be here in a week or so. I would go the Atlas route if I were you. Plenty of open shooters in my area and they all advised me to skip the whole STI or CK thing because by the time you finally get them running you will have ended up spending nearly the same amount. On the next note, those companies do not have half the fit and finish an Atlas does. I have got to try multiple Atlas’s now and all I can say is wow..

Every CK out here I have seen run out of the box. No issues.  Issues can happen whether you are spending $3500 or $7000. 

19 minutes ago, echotango said:

Every CK out here I have seen run out of the box. No issues.  Issues can happen whether you are spending $3500 or $7000. 

Good for you, I just can’t say that for myself. 

23 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Looking at Atlas too.

Will he build with an SVI grip or just PT? 

Why does he “not recommend” the RTS2?

You will need to ask him about the SVI grip. I’m sure he will but you will most likely have to pay for it as well. The Romeo 3 is a better option than the RTS2. It’s basically an upgraded RTS2. I have a DPP coming on mine but I loved the Romeo 3 that I got to play with on a Limcat.

7 minutes ago, lacivilian said:

Good for you, I just can’t say that for myself. 

I did not mean that is a dh way.  Trying to point out that spending $XXXXk doesn't guarantee anything. I have seen $7k guns that don't run. 

But I am a believer that 99% of the time any gun that doesn't run it is the ammo or magazines. 

1 minute ago, echotango said:

I did not mean that is a dh way.  Trying to point out that spending $XXXXk doesn't guarantee anything. I have seen $7k guns that don't run. 

But I am a believer that 99% of the time any gun that doesn't run it is the ammo or magazines. 

You are correct, cost does not equal reliability. But I have yet to see an Atlas not run and we have 4 here. Not to mention you get a custom fit and finish for a 75 day wait time. No one beats that right now.

54 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Looking at Atlas too.

In the world of high-end gun building, "can't recommend" can mean some version of "we've had personal problems with the people who make them" or "we couldn't get a good enough deal on them".  Akai and SVI build with the RTS2; maybe they haven't had these problems.  

5 hours ago, Balakay said:

Looking at Atlas too.

He doesn't recommend or sell the RTS2, but if you send him one he will mount it on your gun. As that's what I did on my Chaos, atlas does have the mounts for the RTS2. The SVI grip you may have to do a custom gun to have that put on. 

13 hours ago, Balakay said:

Looking at Atlas too.

I don't think he will do the SVI grip without going custom which will up the cost and timeline. 

that's what I assumed but the SVI grip is not even listed as an option on the Custom Open Gun menu.  I will give him a call...

2 minutes ago, Moloch38 said:

I don't think he will do the SVI grip without going custom which will up the cost and timeline. 

4 hours ago, ChrisTSO said:

Thanks a lot guys. This is some great information!

OP, as others have mentioned, I really think you should save a little longer and go all in with a custom Atlas/Akai build of your choice.  I cannot imagine you would regret it. 

3 hours ago, Wisemenofgotham said:

OP, as others have mentioned, I really think you should save a little longer and go all in with a custom Atlas/Akai build of your choice.  I cannot imagine you would regret it. 

Ive been thinking about that too but i really dont know how well i could handle the wait time. Lol. 

I bought an STI Match Master with no optic (but it did have an RTS2 Brazos Mount) that I picked up here on Enos for $2,100. My gunsmith tweedled it a little, I added a Zig racker and bought an RTS2. So, I’m into it for about $25-2,600 and it runs like a champ. Zero malfunctions through 4,000 rds (jinx!) and it’s my fav pistol. I think your first open gun should not break the bank but should give you an idea of what you like/don’t like b4 you dump a wad on a high dollar custom.

Edited by HalRex

3 hours ago, Wisemenofgotham said:

Lol you got this.  Btw a beautiful Chaos just sold in record time on the Classifieds (in case you aren’t happy with it).

I saw that, that was a hell of a deal. 

I agree with HalRex, but also agree with the general consensus on Atlas front. However where you are switching platforms (CZ to 2011) I would suggest that you get one in your hands first and make sure that it's a match for you. It doesn't necessarily have to be an open gun; shooting a limited will at the very least give you the feel for the platform itself, especially the trigger. And as many have stated, I am sure that you will be very happy. They are flat out awesome. My point here is before you drop that kind of $$ I would suggest that you are certain that you will be happy going that route. After all would you buy a car without test driving it?

Now as for the Chaos; I was able to handle one at Area 7 this last weekend as well as got a chance to shoot the Nemesis. The quality of both is tremendous. Adam and his crew are doing some fantastic work and are really setting the bar high, not to mention that he is a really nice guy and willing to help when he can. (During the match he actually tuned one of my big sticks that I was having an issue with).

Whatever way you go good luck! Shooting open is a whole new experience! 

53 minutes ago, schaet said:

I agree with HalRex, but also agree with the general consensus on Atlas front. However where you are switching platforms (CZ to 2011) I would suggest that you get one in your hands first and make sure that it's a match for you. It doesn't necessarily have to be an open gun; shooting a limited will at the very least give you the feel for the platform itself, especially the trigger. And as many have stated, I am sure that you will be very happy. They are flat out awesome. My point here is before you drop that kind of $$ I would suggest that you are certain that you will be happy going that route. After all would you buy a car without test driving it?

Now as for the Chaos; I was able to handle one at Area 7 this last weekend as well as got a chance to shoot the Nemesis. The quality of both is tremendous. Adam and his crew are doing some fantastic work and are really setting the bar high, not to mention that he is a really nice guy and willing to help when he can. (During the match he actually tuned one of my big sticks that I was having an issue with).

Whatever way you go good luck! Shooting open is a whole new experience! 

Im shooting the great plains sectional this weekend so hopefully i can talk someone into letting me handle their pistol. 

I'm sure you will be able too. I've always had good experiences like that, especially with fellow squad members. Plus who doesn't like to show off their stuff?  Heck anytime someone asks me about my gun I'm all to eager to talk about it!