Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighter Guide Rods

jschweg

Hi folks, I have an STI Trojan in 9mm with VZ Grips and a steel SA MSH/Magwell.

I use this gun in club PPC matches where weight doesn't matter. I'd like to start shooting this gun in Steel Challenge.

So the gun is overweight at 43.2 ounces, which I'm actually really surprised it wasn't more being that it is a 9.

I'd like to drop an ounce off the gun, but I want to leave my magwell and grips alone. I know that the magwell is the obvious culprit, but I have my reasons for needing to stay with this one to stay in stock class in my other league.

I was thinking that I could go to a lighter guide rod, however the aluminum ones don't seem to last very long for obvious reasons. I want to keep the FLGR, but is there another material that would be slightly lighter but still have decent durability?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Guiderod length is not a "one or the other" when it comes to length. You can take a full length guide rod an hack an inch off of the end and run a 3/4 length guide rod if you want. Knock a little off of your current guiderod, hollow out your grips some, you may be able to save an oz without buying anything.

I too use the aluminum guide rod in my 9mm Trojan. I haven't noticed any issues with it, but I only put it in for matches that the weight matters.
Do you find that the missing weight off the front of the gun changes the feel of the recoil much?

Which rod do you have?

1 hour ago, jschweg said:

Do you find that the missing weight off the front of the gun changes the feel of the recoil much?

Which rod do you have?

I have the Dawson rod.

And I really do not notice much difference in the feel. After all, it's a 9mm 1911, all steel gun. There's not much recoil to begin with, especially if you compare it to a .45 1911.

Briley sells a aluminum guide rod with a steel head which should last longer than a all aluminum one

Weigand used to make a polymer flgr, I have one that’s been in 2 different open guns and still going

When I had a similar issue with my old 9mm 1911, I went to a GI guide rod and dremeled material from the inside of the grips. Magpul 1911 grip panels are super light compared to VZs. I didn't notice any difference shooting GI guide rod vs. FLGR.

• 1 month later...

For anyone still reading this thread, I ordered the Briley rod. It's a very nice piece, but it doesn't work. The takedown hole is drilled too close to the head so there is no room to compress the spring to get the paperclip out.

Rather then go this route, I think I'm just going to go against what I originally said and just ditch my steel S&A magwell/MSH and just do the aluminum Dawson ICE. That has to weigh less and should get me on the dance floor.9b0612e25d0f4eb7ed74ffbc1d844c7d.jpg