Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon clips for gp100 match champion

jbinpa59

• 3 months later...

I realize this is an old post but just recently bought a GP-100 10mm and thought I would share my moonclip experience in case it helps someone else.

I purchased a pack of 10 TK moonclips for the GP 100 10mm Match Champion and found the fit was too loose with just about any brass except for Win headstamp. Federal was also loose but would remain in moonclip from holder on belt to cylinder during reload . R-P and Starline brass would not stay in moonclip during reload as I would have at least one cartridge fall out. With Win brass the TK moonclips work great and this combination is my choice for matches . I am using Ruger moonclips to shoot the non-Win headstamp ammo I have already loaded for my 646. 

I'd totally missed the 10mm GP100 Match Champion. I suppose it also works with .40 brass (???)

https://ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/specSheets/1775.html

edit:

Oh, the moonclips are different thickness:

https://www.tkcustom.com/products/ruger-gp-40sw

https://www.tkcustom.com/products/ruger-10mm-x-6-gp-100

Edited by perttime

22 hours ago, eggman said:

I realize this is an old post but just recently bought a GP-100 10mm and thought I would share my moonclip experience in case it helps someone else.

I purchased a pack of 10 TK moonclips for the GP 100 10mm Match Champion and found the fit was too loose with just about any brass except for Win headstamp. Federal was also loose but would remain in moonclip from holder on belt to cylinder during reload . R-P and Starline brass would not stay in moonclip during reload as I would have at least one cartridge fall out. With Win brass the TK moonclips work great and this combination is my choice for matches . I am using Ruger moonclips to shoot the non-Win headstamp ammo I have already loaded for my 646. 

That's strange.  Both TK & Ruger brand 10mm moonclips are the same thickness - .032.

I failed to mention in my post about my moonclip experience with my GP-100 has been with 40 S&W . Although I have 300 pieces of new Starline 10mm Auto brass all my shooting has been with 40 S&W reloads. With my S&W 610 I can use the same moonclips with 40 S&W and 10mm with no problems however with the Ruger GP-100 moonclips there is a headspace problem using .032" moonclips (and I have experienced light strikes using Federal primers with 40 S&W brass with .032" moonclips) . TK is making a moonclip .040" just for 40 S&W that will hopefully take care of my light strikes . I have ordered some to try and if they work I might just be able to go with a lighter hammer spring. I had high hopes of using this pistol in IDPA for something different as I usually shoot speedloader fed S&W revolvers but the light strikes have been problematic. 

10 hours ago, eggman said:

... TK is making a moonclip .040" just for 40 S&W that will hopefully take care of my light strikes . I have ordered some to try and if they work I might just be able to go with a lighter hammer spring.... 

Please let us know how it goes.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:58 AM, perttime said:

Please let us know how it goes.

My TK .040" 40 S&W moon clips arrived today and I was able to give them a try. First off I found that R-P headstamp brass fit loose but would not fall out when reloading but the Win brass still fit the best . The extra thickness of this moonclip seems to have solved my primer light strikes and was even able to go back to a 9 lb. hammer spring with no misfires . So, in all these moonclips were everything I had hoped for and plan to be shooting the 10mm gp-100 in my next IDPA match just for something different.

• 1 year later...

Super old post I know, but wanted to add...

Denny at RIMZ is sending me a 646 (.40) moonclip to test - the 610 for the S&W version will not work with the Ruger GP100 Match Champion.  Once I get it I'll post up results.  RIMZ are the polymer moonclips and are so easy to load/unload, etc - I use them with my S&W 625 with great success for range use.  For any carry use I would likely stick to tradition metal clips though.

Anyway I'll report back how the Rimz 646's work in a few days.  I pretty much only use starline brass but I do have some Sig 10mm I can test as well.

https://www.ezmoonclip.com/RIMZ 646 moon clips.htm

Edited by 78Staff

Did some testing today, had no issues with the 646.  However it is a bit thicker overall so rubs on the frame a bit due to the two level design - the main thickness dimension is thicker to support the relief cut for the rim of the brass.  Haven't decided whether to order more or just get some more Ruger moonclips, which seem to work pretty good.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What is the final analysis on shooting 40 in the GP100 :) ?

Would like to get back to fiddling about with local IDPA matches and have lots of 40 stuff already. Are the moon clip issues resolved well enough to not worry about light strikes and difficulty reloading the gun during a match?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 8:45 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

What is the final analysis on shooting 40 in the GP100 :) ?

Would like to get back to fiddling about with local IDPA matches and have lots of 40 stuff already. Are the moon clip issues resolved well enough to not worry about light strikes and difficulty reloading the gun during a match?

I am so used to my Smith and Wesson revolvers I just couldn't get used to the Ruger and ended up selling my GP100- Match Champion in 10mm . However the last match I shot with it I used 40 S&W reloads with Federal primers and it worked flawlessly with the TK moonclips for 40 S&W . Changing the springs and using Federal primers it would be easy to get to a 6 1/2 to 7 lb. DA trigger pull weight with no light strikes . Also, Bowen makes an extended firing pin that would also aid in the endeavor to a light DA pull weight with no light strikes.