Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 shooting high and left at 25 yards

Alpental

Hey folks,

I just picked up a Shadow 2 to replace my Accu-Shadow for USPSA.  I have almost 400 rounds through the gun, and it seems to consistently shoot high and to the left with a variety of ammo, including factory rounds.

I’ve bench rested the gun a few times to confirm accuracy at 25 yards, and today I tried a 124g load I worked up, and it was hitting about 6 inches high and 6 inches left… see pics below.

It’s concerning because I’ve bottomed out the rear sight, and I’ve heard that drifting the rear sights on CZs can be a pain.

Thoughts?  

thumb_IMG_6332_1024.thumb.jpg.dfe72cf0a355da8399ebc0a43a9dd1f2.jpg

1 hour ago, George16 said:

Where was the POI prior to you adjusting the rear sight? How high was it?

At 25 yards, with factory 115g ammo I was  8 to 10 inches high if not more... some weren’t even hitting the paper.

The group size is okay. If you are 100% sure it's the gun and not you, I would go ahead and drift the rear sight (it's not that hard) mine also shot left a few inches.

As for the elevation, it seems odd. Maybe a taller front sight is needed.

2 hours ago, John92awd said:

The group size is okay. If you are 100% sure it's the gun and not you, I would go ahead and drift the rear sight (it's not that hard) mine also shot left a few inches.

As for the elevation, it seems odd. Maybe a taller front sight is needed.

I still plan on having fellow USPSA shooter confirm, but at this point I’m pretty confident it’s shooting high left. Even off hand at 7 yards every group is consistently high left. No issues with other CZ pistols.

If this is the case, drifting the rear sight is needed and a taller front. Check out Dawson Precision's website. They have a sight calculator that will tell you which height sight you need to correct to the POI you want.

If you get a new front sight, You might call Dawson because if you measure with the rear bottomed out, you could find yourself out of adjustment again. They can probably give you the best advice.

I usually drift the rear sight at the range by tapping it with a nylon tipped hammer or a punch. 

10 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

If you get a new front sight, You might call Dawson because if you measure with the rear bottomed out, you could find yourself out of adjustment again. They can probably give you the best advice.

I usually drift the rear sight at the range by tapping it with a nylon tipped hammer or a punch. 

How do you stabilize the gun while adjusting the rear sight at the range?  I've never had to drift the rear sight on a CZ, but I've done so M&Ps and Glocks, and I always used a bench vice...

I just give it some taps while stabilizing the gun with my other hand. It's worked on 3 or 4 guns so far. 

Make sure you back out the set screw  :)

When it's set I drop some blue loctite in the set screw hole to keep everything where it should be

33 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

I just give it some taps while stabilizing the gun with my other hand. It's worked on 3 or 4 guns so far. 

Make sure you back out the set screw  :)

When it's set I drop some blue loctite in the set screw hole to keep everything where it should be

Thanks!  I'll give it a try!

Even if you're able to drift the sight, you still have a serious elevation problem.   What is the height of your front sight from the top of the slide to the top of the rear of the metal post.  Mine measures right at 1/4".  If yours is much shorter than that, it would indicate CZ put the wrong sight on.  If it measures around 1/4", have someone else try it to see if they get the same results.  By the way, my sights were a bear to drift; others didn't have an issue.  So, the fit of the rear sight is probably gun specific.

My Shadow 2 was the same.  I shot a Steel Challenge match.  I had to aim about 8 inches to the right to get hits on steel.  I loosened the two set screws and tapped the sight over.  I did strip out one of the set screws.  You may want to heat them up before trying to remove.

4 hours ago, Almo said:

Even if you're able to drift the sight, you still have a serious elevation problem.   What is the height of your front sight from the top of the slide to the top of the rear of the metal post.  Mine measures right at 1/4".  If yours is much shorter than that, it would indicate CZ put the wrong sight on.  If it measures around 1/4", have someone else try it to see if they get the same results.  By the way, my sights were a bear to drift; others didn't have an issue.  So, the fit of the rear sight is probably gun specific.

I just measured from the top of the sights (metal part closest to the rear of the gun) to the slide (where the serrations are), and it measured about .220 inches... so a little less than 1/4in ... I wonder if this is a shorter front sight?

Edited by Alpental

3 hours ago, Macinaw said:

My Shadow 2 was the same.  I shot a Steel Challenge match.  I had to aim about 8 inches to the right to get hits on steel.  I loosened the two set screws and tapped the sight over.  I did strip out one of the set screws.  You may want to heat them up before trying to remove.

I was able to get drift the rear sight, and it actually wasn't too bad.  The set screws came loose without too much of a fight. Phew!!!

Ok, so here is an update... my rear sight were pretty off.  I had a bullseye shooter (what are the chances) that works at the range confirm this.  We were basically putting bullet over the same hole (high and left).  I was able to loosen the set screws and drift the rear sight without too much trouble.  It took a few attempts; however, as I would push the sight too far over one way, and then the other way... but I finally got it.    

As for the elevation, it seems that 115g S&B hit pretty close to the correct elevation, but my 124g Montana Gold (1100ft/sec) reloads are still hitting high, even with the rear sight bottomed out. I might need a taller front sight.  

The good news is that with a 6 o'clock, at 25 yards, I was able to produce a good group.  The 5 shot group below was at 25 yards off hand with my reloads: 2.5 inches!  Dead center, but still a little high with a 6 o'clock hold.  This is one of the best groups I've ever shot!!! 

thumb_IMG_6346_1024.jpg

13 hours ago, Macinaw said:

Do you remember the size of the rear set screw and where you got another?  I need to get a replacement.

6 hours ago, Trinimon said:

Good stuff!

I thought the S2 standard height front sight from the factory was 7.5mm or 0.295"? Probably explains the hight hits while bottomed out on the read.

I just measured my front sight from the bottom of the dove tail to the top of the front of the sight, and I got a measurement of about 6.2mm or .244in... I'm gonna call CZ and see if the can send me a new front sight.

CZ asked me to remove my front sight and check the model number under the dovetail, and to measure it again once it was out of the gun.  The model number was 8, which they couldn't even find in their catalog, and the sight was 7mm tall (or .5mm shorter than what it should be).  They are sending me some new front sights... I'll update once I install the new sight...

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Trinimon said:

Glad it didn't cost you $$$. 

Yup, I'm glad CZ is stepping up to the plate, but I am a little disappointed that an $1,200 gun geared towards competition would come with sights so far off... anyway, it should get fixed once the new front sight is in.

26 minutes ago, WxGuy said:

A lot of us are running the Dawson .240 front sight.

I might get there eventually.  I've done too much fiddling with my guns in the past.  I really want to keep this one as stock as possible until I settle back in to things and figure out exactly how I want this gun... it's been a couple years since I shot a match.  Also, out of principle I wanted CZ to make this right without requiring me to throw any more $ at the problem.  Cheers! 

9 hours ago, USA said:

Do you remember the size of the rear set screw and where you got another?  I need to get a replacement.

I took it to the local Ace Hardware store and found one that fit.  Sorry,  I don't recall the size.  I called CZ USA they said they don't carry those parts.  Said I should call CZ Custom.

Edited by Macinaw