Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger freeze?

Jollymon32

Working on greatly speeding up split times.  During this practice, tie my Accushadow, I encountered several instances that I could not, immediately, get off the second shot.  

It felt like the trigger had not reset.  Not sure what I had to do to get the second shot off - I may have let go on the trigger just a bit - but after a short delay, the second shot does go off.

The gun probably has had 30K rounds since it was completely overhauled my Matt Mink.  

Anyone experience something to this effect?  

What may be causing this?

BTW, I do not believe it to be related, but I was shooting the practice with a 14 pound recoil spring over the usual 11 pond spring the Accu ships with.

although the single action in the accushadow is light I don't think you can get the reset short enough to a 1911/2011 trigger pull & reset. You just gotta let the trigger out a little more and let the sear reset

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I call what you're doing short stroking. Other may call it freeze. I like short stroking because I don't let it out far enough to reset. It happens to me on my 2011 with the most amazing trigger and reset. Most of the time it happens when someone is trying to get 2 shots off with 1 sight pic. At least for me that's when it happened mostly. I don't do that really anymore since I try to get a sight pic for each shot. No matter how close the target is. I'd also say it happens when your overly tense. 

So, relax and try to get a sight pic for each shot and see if that helps. You can still bang out .13 splits and get a sight pic so, don't worry about it slowing you down. I'd also say some guns require more let.out to reset so, you gotta get that finger out and or off it further depending on the gun. 

Just my $0.02. 

Edited by B_RAD

This

I call what you're doing short stroking. Other may call it freeze. I like short stroking because I don't let it out far enough to reset. It happens to me on my 2011 with theost amazing trigger and reset. Most of the time it happens when someone is trying to get 2 shots off with 1 sight pic. At least for me that's when it happened mostly. I don't do that really anymore since I try to get a sight pic for each shot. No matter how close the target is. I'd also say it happens when your overly tense. 

So, relax and try to get a sight pic for each shot and see if that helps. You can still hang out .13 splits and get a sight pic so, don't worry about it slowing you down. I'd also say some.gins require more let to reset so, you gotta get that finger out and or off it further depending on the gun. 

Just my $0.02. 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

So, relax and try to get a sight pic for each shot and see if that helps.

Alternatively, when I shoot a hammer (one sight picture, two shots at a .15ish split) I focus on coming entirely off the trigger face and then pressing it a second time.

Relative to the short travel of an AR, 1911, or CZ/Tanfo type single action trigger, of course.

With a polymer Walther or Glock I’m intentionally releasing well out into the pretravel but not quite leaving the trigger face.

At any distance I’m trying to go that fast and use a blurry fast single sight picture... I’m not worried about dragging shots out of the A zone. Grip hard and clickclick fast.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I was shooting a G34 in USPA production for about a year, and I very rarely if ever experienced trigger freeze... the following season I switched to an Accu-Shadow and immediately started getting trigger freeze.  It took most of the season to learn how to overcome it, and even then, I would still get the occasional stutter.  I found that it typically happened when I was tense and trying to go too fast, which means it typically happened during matches.  Try to focus on really getting your finger off the trigger and don't worry too much about super fast splits.   

22 minutes ago, magpulled said:

Grip harder with your weak hand and not so much with strong hand. That will free up your finger to move faster. 

This. It’s amazing how our fingers kind of work in unison even when you’re trying to isolate and make each of them move independently.