Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trijicon 1-8 vs razor gen2 1-6

corey4

i am considering both of these optics for a scar 17 to use in 10k run n gun races.  i am having a hard time deciding on which one.  rifle targets are usually 50-300yds.  has anyone used both and which one did you pick?  i would love to consider the new nightforce atacr 1-8, but the reticle looks too busy with the giant cross hairs and tree reticle.

i like the more simple SFP reticle of the razor, but it's only a 6x.  the trijicon reticle is awesome until you get past 3ish power, then it's huge, but it does seem to pull my focus to the middle.  i found myself being more observant (my focus wasn't as drawn to the center as with the trijicon) with the razor reticle, but i don't know if that would slow me down (i'm not fast to begin with).  i also noticed that the razor scope body was "smaller" in my feild of view than the trijicon.

i'm more worried about the eye relief and field of view than anything else. they both seemed to be decent glass.  again, i was inside the LGS looking out the window.

i did get my hands on both at a LGS and i don't think either one was truly a 1x, so that argument goes out the window.  i am not concerned about weight either.  obviuosly the vortex warranty gets a plus too.

thank you in advance.

Edited by corey4

No need for 8x within 300 yds. Typical targets at Rockcastle and the other RnG matches within driving distance of Pittsburgh are at least 2.5 MOA (e.g. 8"-10" plates at 300) - there are many competitors who have no issue using just an Aimpoint at 1x.

The incredible eyebox on the Razor is worth the slightly lower maximum magnification. Get the new Gen II-E version to save 4 ounces.

When I compared them side by side the Trijicon 1-8 was superior in every way. The glass on the Trijicon is clearer and has less distortion at the edges. The reticle on the Trijicon at 1x was much, much more useful for close or bay style shooting. I found the segmented circle to be my "ideal" reticle for close shots. The Trijicon is quite forgiving on head position for awkward positional shooting that some MD's seem to enjoy. I'll admit I haven't tested the Vortex as extensively as running it for a season so that may be true for it as well. 

At distance, the 8x truly shines. I have had no issues finding black targets hidden in tree shadows at 300 yards with the Trijicon. Target size and presentation can really, REALLY become a challenge if the MD decides to test you. If you don't need 8x, you don't have to use it and your holds will still be true at 6x with the FFP Trijicon. 

I suppose I should also point out that I have NOT had to send my Trijicon back despite banging it (mounted to a heavy rifle) on a table prior to shooting 500 yards to prove a point. The point of course being that I use an optic I trust.

20 hours ago, ClangClang said:

No need for 8x within 300 yds. Typical targets at Rockcastle and the other RnG matches within driving distance of Pittsburgh are at least 2.5 MOA (e.g. 8"-10" plates at 300) - there are many competitors who have no issue using just an Aimpoint at 1x.

The incredible eyebox on the Razor is worth the slightly lower maximum magnification. Get the new Gen II-E version to save 4 ounces.

my first RnG was the heartbreak in february.  i didn't make the rock castle one in march because i pushed myself too hard and ended up hurting myself lol.  i had a viper pst 1-4x and the 300yd target, which we had to shoot once from 5 positions, i couldn't even see it, it wasn't painted and i couldn't make it out on the hillside, hence why i want more X.  and no more exposed turrets for me.  every time i got to a stage i had to reset my turrets from the scope getting banged around.  

3 hours ago, corey4 said:

my first RnG was the heartbreak in february.  i didn't make the rock castle one in march because i pushed myself too hard and ended up hurting myself lol.  i had a viper pst 1-4x and the 300yd target, which we had to shoot once from 5 positions, i couldn't even see it, it wasn't painted and i couldn't make it out on the hillside, hence why i want more X.  and no more exposed turrets for me.  every time i got to a stage i had to reset my turrets from the scope getting banged around.  

Hahaha, that was by design. Hardy and the other MDs called it "Heartbreak" for a reason. No one came out of that feeling good about their skills or their eyesight.  Heartbreak is a special beast.  The exposed turrets is definitely a problem though. Just having the scope rubbing along your back as you run for 20+ minutes between stages is guaranteed to spin those turrets waaaaay out of zero.

Edited by ClangClang

5 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I"m glad you asked the question......I've got the Razor.  Two more power sounds good, but not sure if its worth the trouble and expense.....

just curious, what trouble and expense?

While we have and adore the Vortex 1-6x Razor HD Gen 2 and their 2.5-10x32, neither felt "right" to me on the SCAR17. I use 3.5x TA11 ACOGs (green horseshoe flavor) on some other rifles, but went with a 4x ACOG https://thetacticalscopes.com/best-optic-scar-17/ on the SCAR.

I think its lightweight, no-fuss (no batteries, no changing powers, etc.), and durability go well on a SCAR. Having a bit more magnification might be nice, at times, but for the general purpose manner in which I use the rifle, the ACOG is more than just good enough. That includes some use out to 600m.

Here's us, chilling on the deck after shooting a little steel, with a friend (the HK P30S on the rail).

SCARSm.jpg

On 5/12/2018 at 1:48 PM, corey4 said:

i take it you were there?  i had the red hoodie with "bazinga" on it, shaved head no hat.  i had a blast.  are you going to the legion match in Sept?

Nope, I'm just friends with some of the guys who were running the match, so I got the play by play I got injured in January at Mammoth Sniper and was barely able to walk for 2 months so I had to withdraw from Heartbreak.  I wore the wrong boots and wound up developing bursitis in my achilles tendon. I'm still pretty bummed, cause I'm way more into RnG than long range PRS stuff. 

Yup, planning on being at Legion. I have to defend my title. I took 1st place last year :)

EDIT: I just saw in your OP that you discussed the ATACR 1-8.  That's their precision oriented 1-8.  If you decide to go Nightforce, you want the NX8 which is far more appropriate for RnG. Much lighter (17 oz vs 21 oz) and much more appropriate reticle as well.  However, I think the absolutely massive field of view on the Razor is the most important attribute to shoot fast.  Most of the targets are 100yds and closer, that's where you're gonna do 80% of your shooting.  I had a Razor and sold it to buy a Leupold Mk6.  Still not sure if saving 8 ounces was worth it to lose that gorgeous eyebox.

1x:
nightforce-nx8-1-8x24mm-f1-fc-mil-3.jpg

8x:

image.png.29e2c91dd92cfe67667b979aa7feabd3.png

Edited by ClangClang

On 5/14/2018 at 6:51 AM, ownesc said:

While we have and adore the Vortex 1-6x Razor HD Gen 2 and their 2.5-10x32, neither felt "right" to me on the SCAR17. I use 3.5x TA11 ACOGs (green horseshoe flavor) on some other rifles, but went with a 4x ACOG https://thetacticalscopes.com/best-optic-scar-17/ on the SCAR.

I think its lightweight, no-fuss (no batteries, no changing powers, etc.), and durability go well on a SCAR. Having a bit more magnification might be nice, at times, but for the general purpose manner in which I use the rifle, the ACOG is more than just good enough. That includes some use out to 600m.

Here's us, chilling on the deck after shooting a little steel, with a friend (the HK P30S on the rail).

SCARSm.jpg

i was going to get an acog a few months ago.  the guy at the LGS was kind enough to mount it to a rifle for me.  when i mimicked shooting sideways from kneeling (think vtac wall), i couldn't get a good sight picture and most of the time the reticle was fuzzy to me.  i had to be in just the right spot for it to be clear.  i never actually used one though, so that might change if i ever bought one.

Edited by corey4

On 5/14/2018 at 9:52 AM, ClangClang said:

Nope, I'm just friends with some of the guys who were running the match, so I got the play by play I got injured in January at Mammoth Sniper and was barely able to walk for 2 months so I had to withdraw from Heartbreak.  I wore the wrong boots and wound up developing bursitis in my achilles tendon. I'm still pretty bummed, cause I'm way more into RnG than long range PRS stuff. 

Yup, planning on being at Legion. I have to defend my title. I took 1st place last year :)

EDIT: I just saw in your OP that you discussed the ATACR 1-8.  That's their precision oriented 1-8.  If you decide to go Nightforce, you want the NX8 which is far more appropriate for RnG. Much lighter (17 oz vs 21 oz) and much more appropriate reticle as well.  However, I think the absolutely massive field of view on the Razor is the most important attribute to shoot fast.  Most of the targets are 100yds and closer, that's where you're gonna do 80% of your shooting.  I had a Razor and sold it to buy a Leupold Mk6.  Still not sure if saving 8 ounces was worth it to lose that gorgeous eyebox.

1x:
nightforce-nx8-1-8x24mm-f1-fc-mil-3.jpg

8x:

image.png.29e2c91dd92cfe67667b979aa7feabd3.png

im not worried about the weight.  if i was, i wouldn't be shooting a 308.  i'm also doing combat class (plan to anyway) and have to carry the extra 50lbs with me, so a few oz won't bother me.  i can't run, there's something wrong with my stride and it throws everything out of whack.  i was fine for awhile leading up to heartbreak, but things started to feel funny during my training runs.  plus having a bad back and knees, i said screw it, i'll just do combat class and hike it.  i went 38 years with out running...EVER...to "hey let's start running" lol.  my body said NOPE, aint gonna happen.

i just can't get past the giant cross hairs with the nightforce.  i picked up a trijicon 1-8 from snipershide for a decent price, it should be here tomorrow.  i'll be getting a razor 2e soon to compare them side by side then make my choice.

i can't wait for the legion race.  my plan is to do the 5k saturday and the 10k sunday.

If I were to go back to LPVO's id definitely be looking at the NX8 or maybe razor Gen2e.

Ive played with the 1-8 and its really nice. I've owned the 1-6 g2, NF 1-4, and a few others.  On my rifle set ups, weight is more than just hiking it around. 

I prioritize the rail footprint, weight, and eye box now over most other aspects.

The trij 1-8 is nice, you wont be disappointed. Its just not what id go for.

I don't think you'll be upset with either one, you just need to shoot both and see what you like.  I love my Razor, and within 300 yards, 6x is not a disadvantage in the slightest.  I'd really only prefer more power at the 500+ range.

I have all 3. The razor 1-6 is a great optic and for within 300yds its tough to beat. very clear. the least amount of distortion on 1x and a very simple usable reticle (JM Ret). The dot is very much daylight bright and the BDC is pretty much spot on.

The Trij 1-8 is a nice optic, not quite as bright as the Razor, clear bright glass (eye box is a bit less forgiving) and is nice and light. The center of the reticle is obnoxiously big at 8x, but that is offset but using holds at the distances you would want that magnification. 

I just received the NX8 and Ive only had it to the range a few times so far but I am very impressed. Clear glass, extremely bright, light weight, reticle is very user friendly, its pretty tough to beat. I have yet to use an ATACR 1-8x but the NX8 is impressing the shit out of me so far. Once I get used to it I'll be running it on my primary rifle in comps. For the money, for 300 and in, I'd suggest the razor. 

You won't be disappointed. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2018 at 9:17 PM, Pfiddy said:

I have all 3. The razor 1-6 is a great optic and for within 300yds its tough to beat. very clear. the least amount of distortion on 1x and a very simple usable reticle (JM Ret). The dot is very much daylight bright and the BDC is pretty much spot on.

The Trij 1-8 is a nice optic, not quite as bright as the Razor, clear bright glass (eye box is a bit less forgiving) and is nice and light. The center of the reticle is obnoxiously big at 8x, but that is offset but using holds at the distances you would want that magnification. 

I just received the NX8 and Ive only had it to the range a few times so far but I am very impressed. Clear glass, extremely bright, light weight, reticle is very user friendly, its pretty tough to beat. I have yet to use an ATACR 1-8x but the NX8 is impressing the s#!t out of me so far. Once I get used to it I'll be running it on my primary rifle in comps. For the money, for 300 and in, I'd suggest the razor. 

You won't be disappointed. 

I agree ^^. I have owned both and the Razor is the best choice. I know glass appearance is subjective but the Razor shines in this department. Plus the eye box is more forgiving, which is great for positional shooting. 

I've got three matches under my belt with the Razor now and I'm much more happy with it.  On 1 power, its just about as fast as an Aimpoint and I hit targets out to 550 yesterday.  Strelock Pro is a great Ap for the long shots....

I'm currently using the MK6 1-6 right now and love it. But no one has mentioned the Bushnell Tactical Elite 1-8.5 yet. Reticle looks user friendly and not too bad of a price. I'm curious if anyone knows something about that optic that I don't. I haven't personally seen one.