Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

practice....airsoft?

tcazes

lets be honest....does anyone benefit from airsoft practice? i dry fire a TON but am mighty tempted to build up an airsoft open gun and try to get the trigger close....anyone have an open airsoft gun they "practice" with?

Ron Avery told me airsoft is going to be the future.  Yes, there are some people who have adopted it, but it will become a standard pretty soon IMO.

I plan on getting a setup once I move out of an apartment and get an actual house next year.  So yes, if you have the space, do it!  I do not think having a trigger that is the same is that important.  It will provide you good transition and sight alignment practice.  Dry firing and live firing before a match is where you can train on your trigger.

They also said, you don't even need to shoot the BB's, it only adds to the setup and cleanup.

Been there.  
We had several full on monthly matches in an empty office building / warehouse a couple years ago during the winter. 

It can definitely help.  Movement, fundamentals, vision, shot calling, etc. It was fun too.    

airsoft.JPG

I had a problem getting them to run reliably for an extended period of time.  It seems like I was replacing a gun every couple of months.  When my mags started failing, I kinda gave up on it.  

16 minutes ago, tha1000 said:

I had a problem getting them to run reliably for an extended period of time.  It seems like I was replacing a gun every couple of months.  When my mags started failing, I kinda gave up on it.  

I don't remember what your setup was...

There is definitely tricks to setting them up, and it took a little tinkering to figure it out. 

The two I built out pictured above run pretty much 100% if you use green gas (the key is keeping them lubed correctly which green gas does). 

2 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

I don't remember what your setup was...

There is definitely tricks to setting them up, and it took a little tinkering to figure it out. 

The two I built out pictured above run pretty much 100% if you use green gas (the key is keeping them lubed correctly which green gas does). 

I was using silicon and camp stove gas and stockish KJ Works/kwa/TM pattern hi-capa guns..  Mine ran fine until they didn't and replacement parts are hard to impossible to find.   When the mag seals started going, I just decided not to mess with it anymore.

16 minutes ago, tha1000 said:

I was using silicon and camp stove gas and stockish KJ Works/kwa/TM pattern hi-capa guns..  Mine ran fine until they didn't and replacement parts are hard to impossible to find.   When the mag seals started going, I just decided not to mess with it anymore.

Yea, the stock guns need tweaking.  I started with silicon and stove gas, but getting the lube right is important.  Swapped to green gas and It cleared up a lot of issues. 

And the factory mag seals are meh. I replaced them with some heavier aftermarket grey ones (can't remember brand).  Funny this came up, I pulled the gun out after a year in the closet this weekend, and one of the mags still had gas in it.  Filled it up with BBs, shot them into the backyard, and put it back in the closet, ha. 

awesome.. Im shooting a lot more real bullets these days,  but I've still got the airsoft stuff if I ever want to dig it out again.  I hate that I never made it  out to one of the airsoft matches.

Edited by tha1000

2 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

Been there.  
We had several full on monthly matches in an empty office building / warehouse a couple years ago during the winter. 

It can definitely help.  Movement, fundamentals, vision, shot calling, etc. It was fun too.    

http://hosercam.com/video/poser.mpg

32 minutes ago, tha1000 said:

awesome.. Im shooting a lot more real bullets these days,  but I've still got the airsoft stuff if I ever want to dig it out again.  I hate that I never made it  out to one of the airsoft matches.

Yea, it's by no means a substitution for sending lead and copper down range.... but it was interesting that a lot of the same principles and discipline applied. 

2 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

Yea, it's by no means a substitution for sending lead and copper down range.... but it was interesting that a lot of the same principles and discipline applied. 

I definitely think I would benefit from it more now that I am a better shooter than I was when I was messing with it 3 years ago.  My wife is definitely glad that im not tracking plastic  bb's all over the house these days.

Yea I think I may build a full weight open setup. It blows my mind how expensive they get. I like the interactive targets they sell now. I have a pretty sweet spread to make stages. 

42 minutes ago, tcazes said:

Yea I think I may build a full weight open setup. It blows my mind how expensive they get. I like the interactive targets they sell now. I have a pretty sweet spread to make stages. 

It's kinda fun.  We started out setting up halfway jokingly.... but it spun a little out of control. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/msefal/permalink/1101471443198936/

I used one with iron sights for a few months when I was getting started.  No BBs, but it helped me start to track the front sight.

or, maybe just the dryfire and putting rounds downrange helped me start to track the front site.

I don't see that it would be as helpful to me for dryfire now that I am in open.  Spend the money on batteries for your Red Dot and get some dummy ammo so the weight of your real gun is true and practice draws and transitions using that.  I think that will help more in the long run.

Just dryfiring will help in the long run.  Every day....

32 minutes ago, Trent1k1 said:

I used one with iron sights for a few months when I was getting started.  No BBs, but it helped me start to track the front sight.

or, maybe just the dryfire and putting rounds downrange helped me start to track the front site.

I don't see that it would be as helpful to me for dryfire now that I am in open.  Spend the money on batteries for your Red Dot and get some dummy ammo so the weight of your real gun is true and practice draws and transitions using that.  I think that will help more in the long run.

Just dryfiring will help in the long run.  Every day....

Bingo. 

Geez, didn't know they got to be thousands!  I'd probably be willing to spend 4-500 at most for a complete setup.  I think the greatest benefit would be practicing your transition at the moment the site lifts, which is hard to practice in dry-fire.  You have to rely on imagining where during the trigger press that the gun will go off. 

Actually, with a dot you need to see what happens when you do press the trigger to make sure it is exactly where you thought was and not bouncing left and right. 

Any movement in dryfire will also be there in live fire.

I practice draws and transitions with my real gun fully loaded with dummy ammo.  I even fill up 170 and 140 mags and practice draws and transitions with them half full.

You dont need to always press the trigger off you draw, or even on the firat transition.   Sometimes i draw, finger in the trigger pressing, but not letting it activate.  I transition to a second target and back to the first and only break the trigger on the last target.  

Focus on snapping your eyes to the next target and making the gun stop EXACTLY where you are looking at.  Then do it again and break the shot on the 2nd target if, and only if the gun stopped exactly where you were looking.

You may do that again and again until you are starting to break the shot when in yiur peripheral vision the dot is just passing the D zone and finally breaking at exactly where you are looking as the gun stops.

I think you will find that getting the gun to stop and breaking the shot on the next target will help you become more efficient, which is the end goal.

If you want to see your last shot on a target because you are always missing the last shot on an array, you need to fix that in live fire.

Good luck

19 minutes ago, bluedevil008 said:

Geez, didn't know they got to be thousands!  I'd probably be willing to spend 4-500 at most for a complete setup.  I think the greatest benefit would be practicing your transition at the moment the site lifts, which is hard to practice in dry-fire.  You have to rely on imagining where during the trigger press that the gun will go off. 

The Limited guns I pictured above were about 500ish a piece... not including mags and stuff. 

I’ve found it useful to practice with airsoft pistols. It also saves a lot of ammo cost, range fees, and you can do it comfortably anytime at home.

There are many air pistols that mimics the real ones in terms of weight and dimensions. The trigger is no comparison but you’d still need the same trigger discipline to shoot good.

I also mount my regular red dot on the air pistol. It helps you to find the dot as you practice your draw. Although there is no recoil, but recoil happens all after you pull the trigger. So you get to practice at least for your first shot.

Now I have switched to use a Laserlyte LT-Pre which is a bore laser inserted into your real pistol. You can dry fire to your hearts content, especially with a DA pistol, and see where the dot goes when you pull the trigger.

The laser also works with iTarget system App runs on a smartphone. Not only you see where your shots are but also tracks the time on your draws.