Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 2018 STI DVC Open

WAlamo

I finally received my DVC Open, 6 months waiting.  I received the 2018 model.  Previously I had asked here for 9 major load info including the OAL.  From the responses I got the following two OALs

I'm using RMR bullets JHP 124 grain.

My surprise is that none of those OAL worked.  The slide didn't fully closed when the new round loaded, it stayed about 1/4" or less open which created a jam failure.  However the loaded round was in the chamber.  Upon further inspection, taking barrel out and dumping a bullet in it, it was clear the bullet was too long as it didn't went all the way in and got a bit stuck.

So I went back home and tested different OAL settings until 1.12 AOL was the one that worked.  But I keep asking myself, is it that the new barrel was modified and it doesn't take longer bullets?  Is it that it doesn't "like" JHP bullets?  

Seems odd to me that previously 1.165 or 1.15 were used and this 2018 model doesn't like those OAL.  Anyone here going through this?

could be that the barrel just didnt get throated to take the longer rounds....i run my 9 open at 1.165-1.17 through a kkm barrel. you could always have it throated.

Edited by tcazes

If it's an open gun that won't run jhp reliably long I'd be sending it back in a hurry. Local guys have nothing but issues with sit lately. I'd be sending it back. You shouldn't be crimping it, you should be just removing the bell. 1.16 should fit. Period. 

Edited by tcazes

1 hour ago, tcazes said:

If it's an open gun that won't run jhp reliably long I'd be sending it back in a hurry. Local guys have nothing but issues with sit lately. I'd be sending it back. You shouldn't be crimping it, you should be just removing the bell. 1.16 should fit. Period. 

That is how I feel but I wouldn’t like doing it.  It took STI 6 months to deliver my gun imagine if I send it back.  6-8 months waiting

2 hours ago, WAlamo said:

That is how I feel but I wouldn’t like doing it.  It took STI 6 months to deliver my gun imagine if I send it back.  6-8 months waiting

we had one finally get his gun back after blasting them on their fb page. pretty sure they just sent him a brand new gun if i remember correctly lmao. i could probably go to a local gunsmith to have the chamber throated though. id ask around. 

Hit up Ryan Youngblood, Alex Bowen, and David Cupp. Sounds like they didn't throat the barrel. Demand a fast turn around time. Follow up with them on a regular basis to make sure they follow through with their time frame. 

Sorry to hear you're having issues. My replacements have worked flawless... 

You have a short throat. Either get in touch with STI and ask them to fix it, or send it to someone with a reamer and let them do it. Its generally not expensive and the turn around is fast.