Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Lee Auto Breech Shipping

Probably not likely to replace the Dillon 650 or Hornady Lock N Load on anyone's bench. But it might work as a second press for processing brass or for loading ammo that's not your primary competition cartridge.

Stolen from Titan Reloading's Facebook page:

65ef7868a1174e5249f2049019952c62.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I'm not a Lee fanboy, I can see some attraction to this system, primarily the die bushing system.  It would be nice to have something like this on the Dillon 550/650, but I don't know if that's possible without having to resize the presses.  Other than that, I wasn't overly impressed, but again, if I was more into Lee products, I'm sure I'd be more excited.

1 hour ago, 12glocks said:

The longer I reload, the less I use Lee Precision products (I do use some).  Looks like a toy compared to a Dillon.  I am sure the Lee warranty will reflect its quality, what is it 1 year?

2 Years.

8 hours ago, 12glocks said:

The longer I reload, the less I use Lee Precision products (I do use some).  Looks like a toy compared to a Dillon.  I am sure the Lee warranty will reflect its quality, what is it 1 year?

That's not really a fair comparison of Lee products. The price reflects the warranty because you pay for the warranty with others brands. Without naming names but green and orange come to mind,  some of those "lifetime" warranties aren't as easy to access as the net would have you believe. The few times I've had to deal with Lee "out of warranty", they have been very generous. 

I have over a dozen cartidge presses (not including shotshell) of all colors and my most used single stage press is the Lee Classic cast.

I have 3 Hornady powder measures courtesy of the LNL APs they came with and I  use Lee Autodrums on those presses.

I bought every brand of 9mm die in my quest for perfection for reloading on a progressive. I mix and match and ended using Lee FLS and expand/powder drop.

I intend buying one of these Breech Lock Pro once they have been around a while, just to speed up FLS/depriming and preliminary neck expanding of 38/357 before they get tumble washed.

There are certain Lee products that are worth every dime and not because of the warranty. The classic turret press is hard to beat for the price, functionality and longevity. Their dies are hard to beat as well. 

That's not really a fair comparison of Lee products. The price reflects the warranty because you pay for the warranty with others brands. Without naming names but green and orange come to mind,  some of those "lifetime" warranties aren't as easy to access as the net would have you believe. The few times I've had to deal with Lee "out of warranty", they have been very generous. 

I have over a dozen cartidge presses (not including shotshell) of all colors and my most used single stage press is the Lee Classic cast.

I have 3 Hornady powder measures courtesy of the LNL APs they came with and I  use Lee Autodrums on those presses.

I bought every brand of 9mm die in my quest for perfection for reloading on a progressive. I mix and match and ended using Lee FLS and expand/powder drop.

I intend buying one of these Breech Lock Pro once they have been around a while, just to speed up FLS/depriming and preliminary neck expanding of 38/357 before they get tumble washed.

My experience with Lee and expired warranties has also been good. Plus they'll send you small maintenance parts for free as long as you pick up the shipping.

The Auto Drum works great and throws a consistent charge with pretty much everying I've tried. The exception here has been trying to get it to throw small charges of Red Dot. While recently trying to load 3.0 grains, I found I was getting weights as low as 1.7 grains.

I can see using a press like the new Auto Breech as a dedicated brass processing machine. That way the priming system could be ignored and the press would likely to as fast as any other manual press for this application.

Speaking of brass processing; I wonder if the press would handle swaging. Could a swager be made that replaces the primer seater punch?

9 hours ago, Tokarev said:

My experience with Lee and expired warranties has also been good. Plus they'll send you small maintenance parts for free as long as you pick up the shipping.

The Auto Drum works great and throws a consistent charge with pretty much everying I've tried. The exception here has been trying to get it to throw small charges of Red Dot. While recently trying to load 3.0 grains, I found I was getting weights as low as 1.7 grains.

I can see using a press like the new Auto Breech as a dedicated brass processing machine. That way the priming system could be ignored and the press would likely to as fast as any other manual press for this application.

Speaking of brass processing; I wonder if the press would handle swaging. Could a swager be made that replaces the primer seater punch?

Great question. I would love a moderately priced brass processing press for 223. Thinking of an onboard Swager and a Dillon 1500 trimmer. 

Use it on my Hornady, great upgrade over the terrible degraded plastic hopper.
I just ordered one for my Auto Drum. The factory one works okay for pistol but it doesn't hold more than about a half a pound of powder. That small quantity goes pretty quick when I'm loading rifle.

Great question. I would love a moderately priced brass processing press for 223. Thinking of an onboard Swager and a Dillon 1500 trimmer. 
I haven't seen an Auto Breech yet so I gave to wonder. I assume the ram is a steel rod with a hole down the center for spent primers. It is probably stout enough to handle swaging. I suppose the biggest problem is likely to be the shell plate carrier. If it is aluminum like the one on the Pro1000 it probably won't take the force from constant swaging.

I think I'll send an email to Lee Precision this morning to express my idea. See what they have to say. I can't imagine making a swage punch would be terribly expensive. If it works I really think they'd have a money maker on their hands. Who wouldn't want a $105 progressive press that can be used to rework military brass???

I haven't seen an Auto Breech yet so I gave to wonder. I assume the ram is a steel rod with a hole down the center for spent primers. It is probably stout enough to handle swaging. I suppose the biggest problem is likely to be the shell plate carrier. If it is aluminum like the one on the Pro1000 it probably won't take the force from constant swaging.

I think I'll send an email to Lee Precision this morning to express my idea. See what they have to say. I can't imagine making a swage punch would be terribly expensive. If it works I really think they'd have a money maker on their hands. Who wouldn't want a $105 progressive press that can be used to rework military brass???

Email sent and reply already received:

The ABLP is made out of steel so can withstand just about anything. I will pass along the suggestion for the pocket swager idea. Not sure if it will come to fruition but it's something to think about!
You are able to use the Quick Trim system on the press. You would just need to deactivate the auto indexing and be sure to clean out the brass shavings from the Carrier.

On 4/18/2018 at 7:00 AM, Tokarev said:

Email sent and reply already received:

The ABLP is made out of steel so can withstand just about anything. I will pass along the suggestion for the pocket swager idea. Not sure if it will come to fruition but it's something to think about!
You are able to use the Quick Trim system on the press. You would just need to deactivate the auto indexing and be sure to clean out the brass shavings from the Carrier.

Thanks for doing that...It would be great to see Lee respond with a pocket swager for it. 

Thanks for doing that...It would be great to see Lee respond with a pocket swager for it. 
I imagine a phone call or a few emails from other interested customers might help spur the idea along.

12 hours ago, xdr said:

Just did...

And here is the reply:

We are working on a new press with that in mind. Stay tuned!

Thanks,
Andy Lee
Lee Precision Inc.

Pretty hard to keep a good thing down.
If this press ends up anywhere near as good as their classic cast original single stage and turret they will sell a boatload of them.  

And here is the reply:
We are working on a new press with that in mind. Stay tuned!

Thanks,
Andy Lee
Lee Precision Inc.

Well, even better.

A press built for brass processing that's sub-$200? Heck Yeah!