Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Lee Auto Breech Shipping

It could be really speeded up by priming the cases prior to the loading operation.  Also, a real solid mount would help (as he pointed out).
Size and prime on single stage and/or another machine.

Station 1 powder drop

Station 2 bullet feeder

Station 3 seat

Station 4 crimp.

Or decap on single stage and prime using hand priming tool. Then:

Station 1 size without decap

Station 2 powder drop

Station 3 bullet feeder

Station 4 seat and crimp combo

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Tokarev said:

Station 2 powder drop

Station 3 bullet feeder

Or, Decap

Stainless pin

hand prime

size 

Powder

Bullet

seat and crimp

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:14 PM, Tokarev said:

Size and prime on single stage and/or another machine.

Station 1 powder drop

Station 2 bullet feeder

Station 3 seat

Station 4 crimp.

Station 2 powder drop

Station 3 bullet feeder

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Seems to me that if you have to use either a separate press or hand tool to prime then it really negates the purpose of using a progressive press. My opinion anyway.

As far as this new press is concerned if owning one makes the handloader happy then I don't want to ruin their joy. But for me personally the safety prime is enough to keep me disinterested even for a low-cost dedicated caliber press for ammo that I don't use much of. I am actually considering buying another press for that reason. But with this new Lee, unless you are using a case and bullet feeder, your left hand will never stop moving, that hand will have to do 2 or 3 things every pull of the handle.

If I were to say ok I'm going to try this one then I would have to purchase everything, powder measure, shell plate, case feeder and bullet feeder. At that point I'm $250.00 out of pocket. For another $130.00 I can get another LNL 5 station progressive which is in a different league. But my mind could be changed at least to consider this new press if a no-hands auto prime feature were available. I don't know how that could be accomplished with the reliance of the primer arm in the ram assembly which makes it necessary to place the primer into the cup at the top of the ram travel. Of course for those already invested in Lee products the decision might be a little easier to make.

Hard to believe that in 2018 Lee still thinks a pull chain for a ceiling fan belongs on a reloading press. I have a LM and that was the first part to get upgraded. Seems like lazy engineering( if there is any engineering involved).

18 hours ago, Talon75 said:

Hard to believe that in 2018 Lee still thinks a pull chain for a ceiling fan belongs on a reloading press. I have a LM and that was the first part to get upgraded. Seems like lazy engineering( if there is any engineering involved).

Funny, my ceiling fan chain has lasted for 6 years and several thousand rounds?

On 4/25/2018 at 8:40 AM, firewood said:

If I were to say ok I'm going to try this one then I would have to purchase everything, powder measure, shell plate, case feeder and bullet feeder. At that point I'm $250.00 out of pocket. For another $130.00 I can get another LNL 5 station progressive...

True that the Hornady is only $130 more but you're considering the Lee as a complete and ready to load machine against a Hornady that still needs dies and a shell plate. That will add another $30 for the shell plate and $40 or more for the dies.

Edited by Tokarev

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:58 AM, Tokarev said:

True that the Hornady is only $130 more but you're considering the Lee as a complete and ready to load machine against a Hornady that still needs dies and a shell plate. That will add

another $30 for the shell plate and $40 or more for the dies.

For me personally, I already have numerous handgun die sets but still, dies cost what dies cost regardless of what press you use.  For shell plates I already have them for most handgun calibers for the LNL but having nothing for Lee so that is how I came up with the $130.00 figure. So for me it would be stupid to get the Lee just to save money.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:56 AM, Tokarev said:

Well, in Lee's defense, Dillon uses a similar reset feature on their powder measures.  Granted, it is a rod rather than a ceiling fan pull chain. 

LOL

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of threads going on The Highroad. One for un-boxing and one for tech. Reviews seem generally favorable with a few tech issues regarding the primer feed. Same type of primer feed as the Classic Turret and same learning curve with a few adjustments due to a slightly different primer arm.

Dave

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, DRock said:

There are a couple of threads going on The Highroad. One for un-boxing and one for tech. Reviews seem generally favorable with a few tech issues regarding the primer feed. Same type of primer feed as the Classic Turret and same learning curve with a few adjustments due to a slightly different primer arm.

Dave

Dave I'm a highroad regular and there are a bunch of positive posts there on this press by posters that don't own or use the press yet. The general overall attitude there is buy Lee and your a genius, buy Dillon or Hornady and you are a show off that lacks handloader skills. I'm actually surprised that some of the fans of lee are posting their negative feelings (those that actually have the press) and it is a further surprise that given all of the build up and anticipation the screen has gone relatively dark since the press started shipping.

It is sort of funny that this press is supposed to correct weaknesses in the pro 1000 by adding an extra station and fixing primer issues. It then accomplished the primer issue fix by incorporating a system that is hands-on. Those that already have the primer system because they are a lee turret press user are disappointed when they discover that the two systems are not interchangeable. The 4th station doesn't gain you anything if you like to seat and crimp on different stations and want to use an existing non-lee powder measure. Instead you have to buy their plastic powder measure and attach it a lee case mouth expansion die, which if you don' t already have one adds about $15.00 to the cost I mentioned above.  Or size and prime off press.

The big question never asked or rationally discussed is who is the intended market for this item? An argument could be made that it isn't the high volume competitive handgun shooter because that person wants a robust, user friendly press, not one that has a bunch of plastic add-ons. But I'm sure there will be a ton of users that will declare the thing to be the best invention since the toaster oven met pop tarts. Again what ever makes the user happy.

Edited by firewood

firewood, I agree that there are lots of Lee people over there, and some of the newer posts in the tech section indicate some disappointment.

I honestly wasn't sure of what need this press was supposed to fill, and it seems that some of the breakage I read about in the tech section indicates there is a lot of beta testing going on by the early buyers. I said early on that I'd let everyone else do the beta testing. At this point I wouldn't recommend the press.

Most of my shooting needs are filled by the Classic Turret but every spring when I start getting ready for competition season I start looking Blue or the other Red. Lately I'm thinking LNL but I would have to buy it in the winter to get used to it.

I appreciate hearing your views on the press. For me a LCT is a good solid item (especially with a set up from Kempf) as long as you don't shoot more than about 600 a week and are retired. The reason I'm looking elsewhere is because I like using and  learning about different tools, don't really need the production.

Dave 

9 minutes ago, DRock said:

firewood, I agree that there are lots of Lee people over there, and some of the newer posts in the tech section indicate some disappointment.

I honestly wasn't sure of what need this press was supposed to fill, and it seems that some of the breakage I read about in the tech section indicates there is a lot of beta testing going on by the early buyers. I said early on that I'd let everyone else do the beta testing. At this point I wouldn't recommend the press.

Most of my shooting needs are filled by the Classic Turret but every spring when I start getting ready for competition season I start looking Blue or the other Red. Lately I'm thinking LNL but I would have to buy it in the winter to get used to it.

I appreciate hearing your views on the press. For me a LCT is a good solid item (especially with a set up from Kempf) as long as you don't shoot more than about 600 a week and are retired. The reason I'm looking elsewhere is because I like using and  learning about different tools, don't really need the production.

Dave 

600 rounds per week is 30,000 per year. That individual should have a progressive with case and bullet feeders, retired or not.

But I think you meant to say 600 rounds per month. I really don't know why anyone would go to the tortured lengths some do to defend the honor of the LCT and their decision to use one, especially when they use that much ammo. I know that there is a cost factor but at that rate of ammo consumption then they are spending money other places firearms related and it's a one time expense. But not my problem. 

I find myself this season shooting more than usual. In April I shot 1400 rounds and I project May will require 1800 rounds 9mm. While I'm not trying to get anyone to buy anything, I have very few issues with my LNL and thinking about getting a case feeder for it. Like you I like to use and learn about different tools and I appreciate quality. The item under consideration just looks slapped together willy-nilly. Many might find it a quaint feature, not me.

One of the things that LCT users like to brag about is the low cost of collecting additional turret heads to speed caliber changes. That and the breach lock concept. Hornady has the basic same thing (LNL bushings) but I have split rings on all of my dies anyway so removing and replacing dies is easy regardless. Still, if you know what you are doing and have a good solid understanding of how to adjust dies then even without split rings or bushings it isn't that big of a deal to replace dies on any press.

One other thing that the highroad posters gloss over is the size and placement of the ram on the new lee progressive. It is apparently a small diameter and located under station #1. I don' t know for sure but I would say that this is a design compromise to control costs. Might not have any effect on small pistol calibers but I would like more information on how this might effect large cases as I think it could cause the shell plate to tilt. But maybe not an issue.

firewood, you'd think being retired I'd have the time to get things right. You're correct I meant per 600 month.

Glad to hear you like the LNL. I've been reading quite a bit about it along with watching videos when I can. Seems like any progressive has it's own learning curve and I'm looking forward to it. I do like the way the LNL is set up.

I think the LCT has been a good experience for me, as a starter. I do see it's shortcomings for extensive reloading but probably could have stayed with it if I wasn't inquisitive and had some money to spend. 

Again, appreciate your input.

Dave

I have an LCT. And 3 Pro 1000s. And single stages. I have also helped a friend rebuild the worn out primer system on a L&L. Everything works (sometimes) and doesn't (sometimes). Everything wears out. I have had and used my LCT for 30something years. Can only estimate the number of rounds through it, but, I loaded all my handgun ammo (3 calibers usually) for about 15 years. I still use it for match ammo because it only does 1 thing at a time. An extra hr or so is cheap insurance at a match. Now that the poor thing is about worn out, I will buy another. That should get me to around 100 yrs old!

I shoot around 2K - 2500 rounds a month from Jan - Oct. I use whatever will load what I need. My 1000s are set up for 3 loads in 2 calibers. The turret is literally a 1 min swap to change. I hope Lee sells a million of the new press. More competition and more ammo reloaders old and new is only good for our sport.

I never did believe (as some do) that the color of the press makes any difference. They all work. Till they don't.

FWIW. Retirement is great! Ya'll should try it!

Dr. Phil, as I look at progressive presses I agree with you about the LCT doing one thing at a time. I find that good insurance for me at this point. And, although the color of the press doesn't matter to me, I do find myself wanting to experiment with a progressive.

I found, after retiring, that I missed using tools and reloading, along with all the new learning, has helped fill that void. It also adds another dimension to my shooting. If I had started reloading when I was younger I'd probably be an old had by now, but there are so many things to try I'll probably never get bored.

Dave

As I say, I use and like my progressives. Came home from a match Saturday, shot yesterday and had no live rounds left! Went downstairs and in a half hr I had enough to shoot today. Nice. The turret is mostly for match ammo and small runs like 44 mag, 357 mag, test loads for the revo, etc. I like the versatility of having both.

Good luck with your search! And welcome to the exciting world of the progressive press.

PS

You might want to go right to that Mark 7 press. 3500 rounds/hr! Just kidding, but, man what a machine!!

9 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

As I say, I use and like my progressives. Came home from a match Saturday, shot yesterday and had no live rounds left! Went downstairs and in a half hr I had enough to shoot today. Nice. The turret is mostly for match ammo and small runs like 44 mag, 357 mag, test loads for the revo, etc. I like the versatility of having both.

Good luck with your search! And welcome to the exciting world of the progressive press.

PS

You might want to go right to that Mark 7 press. 3500 rounds/hr! Just kidding, but, man what a machine!!

Not to change the subject Dr. Phil but  hope you did well Saturday!

36 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

I did, thanks. Smallish match. Rain and cold.

How did your ammo-burning experience go?

I shot ISR and OSR, long day. I'm pleased with my OSR score (147) all 8 stages SCSA as you know. My previous best was 160. Still a long way to go before guys like you start asking me how I do it but gotta start from where you are. Got drenched towards the end and stayed to help clean up so a little bit miserable but my performance was just good enough to give me that little boost to keep at it.