Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The worst state for 3 gunning

You guessed it, I live in California.   Apparently they don't make exceptions to the state law for this sport.  I suppose the bright side is that 3 Gunners in California,  will by necessity,  become Master Reloaders since they are so short stacked.   The good news is,  I spend the fishing season in Southern Oregon on the Williamson River at my own private 24-hour shooting range, Aka,  mom and dad's ranch,  which is nice...  So, Californians, tell me what you know about ranges,  clubs,  smiths, and events in the Bay Area. Oregonians, how's your 3 gunning experience going?  What's happenning in Southern Oregon?  Any good three gun races?  Restaurants? Bars? Fishing holes?  (Klamath falls,  Medford,  Bend).   

• 2 months later...

Linden Gun Range hosts 3-gun matches, as does Sacramento Valley Shooting Center.  Richmond hosts a multigun practice one Saturday morning out of the month, and occasionally hosts multigun from what I understand.  Lincoln Rifle Club also has 3gun matches. 

If you're in the bay area, you don't have to travel too far to get to a 3-gun match.  I haven't shot any of these yet because I made a choice to stick to USPSA for 2018 (only lived here for less than a year).

23 hours ago, HoMiE said:

Grants Pass is having a two-day 3gun this coming weekend 6/16-6/17 and Medford is having a 3 gun match June 30th. Keno is having a 3gun march July 29. 

off topic, but i was born in k falls. family was multi generational there. i went to oit. so to read all these names with something soo far away from me in my life place-wise but so current with in interests was jarring.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

off topic, but i was born in k falls. family was multi generational there. i went to oit. so to read all these names with something soo far away from me in my life place-wise but so current with in interests was jarring.

Nice, if you ever come out this way give me a shout. 

I would presume that there are two Californias, just like there are

certainly two New Yorks.

I lived for 35 years in rural (Upstate) New York - our local judge thought

that every decent citizen should have a carry permit    :)     As opposed

to urban (Downstate) NY where it was almost impossible to get a

carry permit.

I'm guessing California is similar - the cities are really tough, and 

the more urban regions much more flexible.

Still, those 10 round magazines really get in the way of "creative

solutions".    :eatdrink:

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I would presume that there are two Californias, just like there are

certainly two New Yorks.

This is very true.   If you look at voting trends on a color coded map, I think most free staters would be surprised at how much of California votes republican by land mass... they would need to be reminded that the vast majority of the population is concentrated in a few coastal cities that over rule all the other Californians with sense.  There’s currently more registered independents than republicans in California but if you combine independents and republicans together, we outnumber the democrats.  This is a very important point:  should a candidate run who appeals to both republicans and independents, that candidate could win in California.  Unfortunately the independents have swung to the left mainly due to poor quality of choices amongst those running—I’ve seen state elections where the Republican party unbelievably doesn’t even bother to endorse a candidate—along wiith the jungle primary system that sometimes doesn’t result in a republican choice on the ballot at all.  This typically occurs because too many republicans ran in the primaries whereas the dems were smart and consolidated down to two candidates and didn’t split their votes across the party.  As far as the draconian gun laws go, that is more to do with a state system that allows over reaching politicians—usually from San Francisco or one of the other big coastal towns—to introduce and pass laws without the real consent of the people.

Back to the topic, I wouldn't be surprised if NY was worse.  I don't 3-gun but could if I wanted to in California.  It's just not ideal... and I personally would choose to drive to NV or elsewhere for that type of shooting, but that's a personal choice that even I have to admit is a bit excessive.  Remember that a lot of action shooting was invented in SoCal through the old South West Pistol League, along with the original Steel Challenge.  The honest gun culture runs deep in Cali, and we have some of the best shooters in the world here-- I can name three active world champions who live within SoCal, and it was previously four before the unfortunate passing of Mike Voigt recently.  I can also name a whole bunch of shooters who are up-and-coming and may very well be world champs in the future.  We're not run out of town yet.

Edited by jkrispies