Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nighthawk Double Stack

aztomex

Hello everyone, 

Long time lurker, appreciate the wealth of knowledge on the forums. Recently decided that I wanted to start shooting competitively and figured my Nighthawk would be a good place to start. Have been shooting for many years recreationally although I have been a Glock & m&p guy for a good while now so I don't have much experience with modifications of a 2011 platform. Interested what you guys would do to this Nighthawk to make it more competitive? From the factory, it uses a 10# recoil & 17# main spring. I want to change the sights up preferably to adjustable sights but I feel like my options are limited with the Novak cut. Would appreciate any input you may all have, cheers!

41356813961_5a2bced3e2_k.jpg

That's definitely a greatbplace to start. I agree with the above statement, you really don't need to do a ton of mods to get started and especially with that gun. 

Definitely add a magwell. Changing to a thin blade fiber optic front sight and adding an extended mag release are also great ideas. 

Edited out mention of lighter recoil spring since your gun is already running a 10#. 

As for adjustable Novak cut rear sights I'd look at Dawson, I think he offers an adjustable Novak sight set with a fiber optic front sight. While you're there you could pick up the extended mag release he offers and be off to the races.

Edited by KrymSIX
Saw OP already had one of my initial ideas covered

If I were a Glock guy, I'd start with the Glock.

You are more familiar with it.

I wouldn't make ANY modifications to it - just go and shoot it at

a match or three.

As you become more familiar with the game, and get a chance to

talk to other shooters and see what they have, you might change

your mind and add mods or even guns.

Don't rush into it.

Just start shooting (a LOT), and have fun.    :) 

I wouldn't modify your Nighthawk at this time.  Get some 140mm magazines. Purchase a good belt, good holster and mag pouches.  Go shoot some matches.  That is where you will learn what you want to modify.

start shooting and enjoy

Edited by Butterpuc

2 hours ago, Butterpuc said:

I wouldn't modify your Nighthawk at this time.  Get some 140mm magazines. Purchase a good belt, good holster and mag pouches.  Go shoot some matches.  That is where you will learn what you want to modify.

Listen to this advice!

If you get into Limited you’ll want to sell the Nighthawk and buy an equally nice gun in .40

If Production looks like more fun you’ll run a Glock or M&P.

So grab a belt, basic holster, and a couple mag pouches and have fun with the gun you have for a few matches and shoot everyone else’s guns in various divisions. Men love showing off their tricked out babies, no one ever turns down a request to let you shoot their weapon.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 1:03 PM, Butterpuc said:

start shooting and enjoy

I agree 100%, I started with a Dan Wesson PM9 shooting single stack and then found that I wanted to shoot Limited.  Shoot what you have for awhile then decide on what direction to go.