Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCCI what’s folks running for sights

I am completely inexperienced in steel challenge, but fairly experienced in irons,  so take this for what it worth, haha.  I am thinking since the shots are 35 or so yards max (correct me if I am wrong) , I would use a standard ar front sight and a ghost ring type rear, with no protective ears to get in your peripheral vision. 

The few people I see running that Division are either using MBUIS or a standard mil-spec front post/rear aperture setup.  It seems to depend on whether they bought the gun with or without an A2 front post.

I’m using Daniel Defense on both ends, but I don’t think the front matters too much EXCEPT you’ll want one able to accept a fiber optic insert.

I went with the DD rears because the rear “wings” are very thin, particularly at the adjustment knob, so they don’t obstruct my line of sight very noticeably at all. I have a Trijicon RMR (on a QD mount) that I run on them when not competing in irons and have it set up so the iron sight wings blend in perfectly with the edges of the RMR when looking throught the sights to give you an idea of how thin they are.  Very unobtrusive.  

I believe that this is an excellent setup but could be improved.  For one thing, I’d love to find irons that are “1/3rd co-witness height” but I’m not aware of any that exist. Also, there are some rear sights that are basically just a peep on a post that would have no obstruction at all, but I donr have any experience with them and am nervous that they may lack strength and/or their adjustment mechanisms tend to look a bit complicated sometimes.  

Feel free to shoot me any questions you might have. 

Edited by jkrispies
I’m using Daniel Defense on both ends, but I don’t think the front matters too much EXCEPT you’ll want one able to accept a fiber optic insert.

I went with the DD rears because the rear “wings” are very thin, particularly at the adjustment knob, so they don’t obstruct my line of sight very noticeably at all. I have a Trijicon RMR (on a QD mount) that I run on them when not competing in irons and have it set up so the iron sight wings blend in perfectly with the edges of the RMR when looking throught the sights to give you an idea of how thin they are.  Very unobtrusive.  

I believe that this is an excellent setup but could be improved.  For one thing, I’d love to find irons that are “1/3rd co-witness height” but I’m not aware of any that exist. Also, there are some rear sights that are basically just a peep on a post that would have no obstruction at all, but I donr have any experience with them and am nervous that they may lack strength and/or their adjustment mechanisms tend to look a bit complicated sometimes.  

Feel free to shoot me any questions you might have. 

Great info thanks . Will the DD take a fiber front sight ? I too don’t have a lot of experience/knowledge of the peep hole rears but seems to be popular from what I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5 hours ago, Scootertheshooter said:

Great info thanks . Will the DD take a fiber front sight ? I too don’t have a lot of experience/knowledge of the peep hole rears but seems to be popular from what I’ve seen.

Yes, and I’ll attach a few photos for you.  The only problem I have with the DD is for some reason I had to adjust the peep to the right to get it zeroed, but these are the only irons I’ve shot on it so I’m not sure if it’s due to the design of the irons or a barrel alignment issue.  Either way it still works fine so I don’t worry about it. Note with the co-witness shot, I filed off the long range peep so I wouldn’t have an obstruction when using the dot.   I did the co-witness shots mainly so you can have a reference to the thickness of the rear wings. Have to do separate posts to get them to upload...

71CAE67F-E98E-4BDF-903B-E9054E9F6BD6.jpeg

Edited by jkrispies
1 hour ago, Scootertheshooter said:

Great info , another ? Is what post did you put in the front for the fiber . My short search only found 2-3 and they were different styles . The peep looks to be good size as well from the photo

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/ar-15-fiber-optic-sightlink-military-front-sight-prod19708.aspx.  This one.  Not perfect, but I think as good as you’ll get.  It could be tighter in that it can rotate very slightly so the post needs to be straightened in order not to see the side of the blade on occasion but it holds decently well.  You can get various sizes of fiber optic. I held out fot the widest but it was never in stock so I just settled the standard/military size, and when I melt the fiber optic I do it carefully and try to make the end as large and round as possible.  

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/front-sights/ar-15-fiber-optic-sightlink-military-front-sight-prod19708.aspx.  This one.  Not perfect, but I think as good as you’ll get.  It could be tighter in that it can rotate very slightly so the post needs to be straightened in order not to see the side of the blade on occasion but it holds decently well.  You can get various sizes of fiber optic. I held out fot the widest but it was never in stock so I just settled the standard/military size, and when I melt the fiber optic I do it carefully and try to make the end as large and round as possible.  

I’ve drilled out a sight to accommodate a larger rod so if can do it anyone can[emoji16]

I think he is referring to Pistol Caliber Carbine Irons in Steel Challenge....I'm not too familiar with Steel Challenge but I can't see that being a very popular division.

It’s growing this year. We do have less than 100 competitors classified in it though.
58 minutes ago, wyliearms said:

Standard front sights with the back rear cut out into a U with a Hiviz post. I replaced the Hiviz sucky fiber with a Nanoptics .065 high glow fiber insert. It glows like a red dot. They have the best FO on the market.

Link

edit to add:  or not, I’m just heing lazy...

Edited by jkrispies