Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody Notice?

R112mercer

I spoke with Jerry after the last stage on the Revo squad about what was his L-10 gun?

He said a 1911, didnt say what brand.

I asked if he was going to practice on Wed before the match started.

He replied " Give me 10 minutes or so with it, i'll be ready"!!!!!

Wonder how he would have placed if he had an "hour" or so with it????

Dan

Jerry was in the squad right behind ours. He was shooting a S&W single stack .45 ACP. EGW mag well on it that looked very interesting.

On a side note, THE highlight of an otherwise horrible match for me was when Jerry asked me (little old me) how to shoot a stage. It was just after I had run a few good stages, so at least at the time I didn't look like a complete schmuck. One of the great experiences I took away from my first Nationals.

I'm new at this ipsick stuff (have I mentioned that before?) but I was at Second Chance the year Jerry shot thte main events with a rather elaborate .45 autoloading comp gun. It was back in the early '90s, and S&W had just disbanded TSW (Team Smith & Wesson), and Jerry was mad enough at them he wasn't going to shoot their stuff any more than absolutely necessary. As I recall, he shot pretty well, but not to his normal revolver potential. Later he (and he alone) was hired back, and the next year he was in uniform (although he must have negotiated a clause in the new contract that allowed him to wear blue jeans instead of the silly multi-color clown pants that always sorta embarrassed him), with his trademark long-barreled .357. (Funny how the best shooters often hate to wear the very clothing that all the new guys go out of their way to purchase and wear!)

Today's shooters associate Jerry more with the 625, but I will always think of him with that 8-3/8" M27 in his hands.

Mike

I wonder if he ( JM )  reads this stuff????

He's probably spends too much time in his range to be reading this. It must be nice having a shooting range 100yrd from your home.

At the 2004 IRC, I was running the clock for him on the far and near practice range on the day before the match. He told me it was the first time he pacticed far and near since the previous year's irc. I think he went on to shoot a 8 on it. Jerry could probably get away with wearing a S&W ball cap and they would be yacked just to have him shooting for them.

I've actually witnessed Jerry shooting a major match (Area 4) with a hicap Open gun, Holo-Sight and all. I was new at the time as it was many years ago, but the other SS guys said he shot 'a lot like Jethro [Dioniso]', as in he'd come zipping up to a port and just rip out some fast splits. It's a huge difference from how he shoots a revo.

but I bumped into his brother Donnie on one of the other shooting forums awhile back.

I really want to take one of his swamp boat tours :)

Not to be missed. Even better if you get to go with the whole family. Donnie & Jerry both lift critters out of the swamp... alligators, snakes & nutria. PLUS as a bonus, as we were pulling back out - there was a snake laying in some shrubbery. Jerry yanks his trusty revolver and caps it within a couple of feet of Kay.

I don't know if Jerry is online, but I bumped into his brother Donnie on one of the other shooting forums awhile back.

The only time Jerry ever sees this is if he's passing through the shop and I call him over for a look or sometimes I'll mention things to him.

Out here in southwest NM, we have tons of rabbits, jacks and cottontails. In Luissiana they have nutria, kind of like a rabbit, multiply like rabbit, just another varmit (rodent). I think they escaped from a fur farm and are now tearing up the mississippi and luissiana.

Some of you may know nutria as muskrats or marshrats. Close cousins. Up here in Minnesnowta they are muskrats. They have prime fur in the winter. A young farm kids Christmas money maker. Oh yah, I shot with Jerry and that 1911 looked just as good in his hands as a revolver. All his targets looked like snake eyes. Beauty to behold.

JM's good with any gun. Shotguns, he won the pump gun side match at the steel challenge, shoots open class at most 3-gun matches and usually wins or is in the top 3, he borrowed heavy metal guns for the SSM3-gun this year and won the class, he shoots precision 22 rifles and pistols at the ESPN Great Outdoor Games and the Sportsmans Team Challenge and wins or is in the top 3.

I know a few guys who can shoot any type of gun well. Shooting is shooting, is all about sight picture and trigger control, if you've got those 2 you'll in the top for any type of shooting.

I saw the show "Insomniac" with comedian Dave Attel on the comedy channel a couple of years ago that was filmed in New Orleans, I believe. If you've never seen it, the premise of the show is what goes on late at night in various cities. Dave drinks and smokes while interviewing people in their late night activities. Anyway, while Dave is wandering around town he runs across a pickup with a guy in the back with a rifle. He was a sniper for the swat team who's occasional job was to ride around in the back of a pickup and shoot nutria with a suppressed Ruger 77-22 on the riverbanks. Looked like they were just plain having fun.