Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing Taccom Ramped Barrel ???

Anybody do the bolt mod for the ramped barrel ? I have a Palmetto Armory bolt with the Glock cut. I have never removed and replaced a barrel before, so looking for tips. Looks like I will need some special tools.  I have the foam cover on the Taccom .

Thanks,

SR

I have their ramped barrel on my PCC and the non ramped barrel on my daughter's PCC.  I didn't do the mod, I just bought their Extreme Bolt.  I called Tim at Taccom and he gave me directions, but I didn't want to get the dremel out and start grinding.  

When I removed my barrel, I had to get a large box wrench 20-30mm (I don't remember the exact size) because of the barrel nut they used.  You'll see when you remove the handguard.

For a barrel install you will need the following tools:

Aeroshell Grease

AR15 Armors wrench

Torque wrench

vise

Vise block for the AR9

*Large box wrench

36 minutes ago, sandrooney said:

Thanks stick. Is the vise block different for the AR 9 than for the AR 15 ? I have an Areo Precision upper.

NO.  the vice block for the upper is the same.  I use an Aero Upper on mine also.

The lower receiver vice block is different.

4 hours ago, sandrooney said:

Anybody do the bolt mod for the ramped barrel ? I have a Palmetto Armory bolt with the Glock cut. I have never removed and replaced a barrel before, so looking for tips. Looks like I will need some special tools.  I have the foam cover on the Taccom .

Thanks,

SR

Yup, I modified 2 bolts. One was a Spinta and one was CMMG. The first one worked fine and the second one would of had I not over-tightened the extractor when I put it back together. I have yet to find any load that the ramped barrel won't feed. Small grinding tip on the Dremel, file / sand paper for final  finish. Go slow and do fit checks. I used a 0.002" feeler gauge to check for clearance between the ramp and bolt. And don't over-tighten the extractor. ;)

I have a rifle with a ramped barrel and another without.  Both have fed 100% with the same magazines.  

I would assume that the ramped barrel would have the edge if my magazines had weak springs or were dirty,

but a ramped barrel is not necessary to have a rifle be 100% reliable with good magazines.  

I agree with L9. If you have to use a ramped barrel to clear up a problem with poor feeding you need to reevaluate your setup.

A good bolt will feed good ammo from a good magazine into any good barrel, without issue.

7 hours ago, practical_man said:

Stick

What float tube is that?

thanks

-john

Taccom ULW Ramped Barrel with Steel Shroud instead of aluminum.  It was a prototype I got from Taccom on clearance.  It's a little heavier than their aluminum model.  which is what I was looking for.  The aluminum model which my daughter has is just too light for me.  I  like a little more weight in the gun.

7 hours ago, L9X25 said:

Looks like a Taccom

Yes it is.