Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Must have tools to work on CZ75 variants

littlewing6283

Hello,

Pretty excited. Im on a 10 day waiting period for an SP01 which I suspect I will be moving to production with. Ive already ordered the cajun gun works goodies but have never worked on CZ's. Im pretty familiar with the 1911 platform and have all the basics for that stones, sear jig, etc. 

Anything a must have for working on CZ's ?

Already ordered a starter punch from CGW as well and a the smaller roll pin punch sizes 

Any must haves that will make life easier ? 

52 minutes ago, littlewing6283 said:

I have one of the ncstar ones. Hopefully it works. Works great for glock slides but It was a bit more of a pain with a 1911 slide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it able to accommodate CZ slides? I use the MGW Pro Sight tool and works well. 

Also check out the CZ 101 post by KneelingAtlas, good stuff with minimal tools. 

Edited by HI5-O

1 minute ago, HI5-O said:

Is it able to accommodate CZ slides? I use the MGW Pro Sight tool and works well. 

it should. its supposed to be "universal"

one thing that seems initimidating about working on these is all the springs. so many springs everywhere hahahahha

52 minutes ago, littlewing6283 said:

one thing that seems initimidating about working on these is all the springs. so many springs everywhere hahahahha

they will be part of your   furniture  .:lol: 

1 hour ago, littlewing6283 said:

Don't worry, you will find them with your bare feet. :P

well I guess I have to find them somehow unless I do all my work inside a gallon sized zip lock bag hahahhaha

I went over Atlas items and it was pretty detailed. Doesnt seem too hard. Im just not a fan of roll pins but I will learn to love them

Anyone have any idea how much fitting will be involved to install a CGW SRS-2 kit with the Reach reduction kit type 2, also putting int he race hammer with adjustable sear 

10 minutes ago, littlewing6283 said:

well I guess I have to find them somehow unless I do all my work inside a gallon sized zip lock bag hahahhaha

I went over Atlas items and it was pretty detailed. Doesnt seem too hard. Im just not a fan of roll pins but I will learn to love them

Anyone have any idea how much fitting will be involved to install a CGW SRS-2 kit with the Reach reduction kit type 2, also putting int he race hammer with adjustable sear 

ATLAS items are huge compare to CZ parts and springs.

and  mine cz  don't have  roll pins .:o

if u have lathe:(  prepare slave pins , and small  tweezers will be your best friends.;)

Edited by yigal

1 hour ago, littlewing6283 said:

I have heard of people changing their trigger return spring with everything in a dry cleaner bag ;)

1911’s are a lot easier to work on but CZ’s aren’t that difficult once you go at it a couple of times. A punch set should always be used and if you worked on 1911’s I am assuming you have one. A good resource is to check out the YouTube videos out there. There are a little t of them and are great guides. 

Edited by abb1

If you are going to tear into the sear cage I really like using a spare sear pin for a slave pin, if the diameter of the slave pin isn't very close to the sear pin then it can make getting things back together a lot more of a chore.

To me they are fun to work on after you have fiddled with them a bit, there is just a learning curve. 

Maybe not a tool but that little slave pin for the trigger return spring from CGW has saved me much frustration.. Obviously their trigger pin as well. 

I have the czcustom sight pusher and it's worth the money in my opinion. Small and aligned perfectly. 

1911’s are a lot easier to work on but CZ’s aren’t that difficult once you go at it a couple of times. A punch set should always be used and if you worked on 1911’s I am assuming you have one. A good resource is to check out the YouTube videos out there. There are a little t of them and are great guides. 

I’ve been watching a lot of them. Main thing I’m worried about is putting the seat cage back together and loosing a spring somewhere

Pesky roll pins also get my blood boiling

If you are going to tear into the sear cage I really like using a spare sear pin for a slave pin, if the diameter of the slave pin isn't very close to the sear pin then it can make getting things back together a lot more of a chore.

To me they are fun to work on after you have fiddled with them a bit, there is just a learning curve. 

I should have ordered an extra seat cage pin

Gotta wait till I place another though. CGW charges 8 bucks no matter what u order

Maybe not a tool but that little slave pin for the trigger return spring from CGW has saved me much frustration.. Obviously their trigger pin as well. 

I have the czcustom sight pusher and it's worth the money in my opinion. Small and aligned perfectly. 

Thanks for the tip. Luckily I read that on one of threads on here and purchased the trigger pin as I heard trigger return Springs are pretty much maintenance items

24 minutes ago, frgood said:

I like having a small screwdriver with a notch in the tip. It makes getting the sear spring moved, or set, a lot easier.

One of those perio-probes or picks your dentist tortures you with work well here also.

34 minutes ago, littlewing6283 said:

Thanks for the tip. Luckily I read that on one of threads on here and purchased the trigger pin as I heard trigger return Springs are pretty much maintenance items

A cut nail or a trimmed WD-40 straw will work in a pinch. ;)

12 hours ago, ChuckS said:

One of those perio-probes or picks your dentist tortures you with work well here also.

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I guess is shows my age, I use an ice pick with a wooden handle. 

Sounds good , I think I am squared away for the most part. Pick it up tomorrow or Tuesday. Heres to not making the "I effed up my gun" thread :)

Still open to any other tips if anyone has them. Everyone has had really good tips so far 

a spare pin or two to turn into slave pins.

a staking tool/punch

roll pin starter punch

generic gunsmith pistol block

as you're in CA i have to assume you got a firing pin block gun instead of a Shadow. is it also the decocker model as well?

invert the gun with the slide rails to the bench when you pull the trigger return spring. i often put a rag or a paper towel over the grip area when i do this and have never lost a trs.

you can do almost anything to the guns with a small jeweler flat head screw driver. a phillips screw driver, a normal flat head driver. a small and medium punch. a roll pin punch. a block. a brass hammer. a vise with soft jaws. a flat file smooth and rough. allen key for sight set screw. slave pins for trs and sear. staking punch.

for spares to keep you through a year's worth of competition refreshing/possible loss or breakage on the gun i'd have around these parts. order them once and all together to save time and shipping of so many small parts

2 trigger return springs. the new style from the shadow 2.

2 extra power extractor springs

1 extractor

1 slide stop

1 firing pin

2 reduced power firing pin springs

2 main springs

2 recoil springs

1 mag spring, +10% for whatever mag you're using for each mag

2 sear springs

2 fpb lifter springs

2 safety detent springs.

1 trigger bar lifter spring

Edited by rowdyb

When I removed the TRS I used the inverted frame method and it was a good thing I had my hand over the magwell as when I removed the punch, I felt the TRS hit my palm when I removed the punch. 

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

a spare pin or two to turn into slave pins.

a staking tool/punch

roll pin starter punch

generic gunsmith pistol block

as you're in CA i have to assume you got a firing pin block gun instead of a Shadow. is it also the decocker model as well?

invert the gun with the slide rails to the bench when you pull the trigger return spring. i often put a rag or a paper towel over the grip area when i do this and have never lost a trs.

you can do almost anything to the guns with a small jeweler flat head screw driver. a phillips screw driver, a normal flat head driver. a small and medium punch. a roll pin punch. a block. a brass hammer. a vise with soft jaws. a flat file smooth and rough. allen key for sight set screw. slave pins for trs and sear. staking punch.

for spares to keep you through a year's worth of competition refreshing/possible loss or breakage on the gun i'd have around these parts. order them once and all together to save time and shipping of so many small parts

2 trigger return springs. the new style from the shadow 2.

2 extra power extractor springs

1 extractor

1 slide stop

1 firing pin

2 reduced power firing pin springs

2 main springs

2 recoil springs

1 mag spring, +10% for whatever mag you're using for each mag

2 sear springs

2 fpb lifter springs

2 safety detent springs.

1 trigger bar lifter spring

Wow thanks for that info Rowdyb. Very detailed and it is much appreciated. I should have most of the tools I need in current stock, I dont own a staking punch though. 

Good tips on spare parts. I didnt order too many spare parts other than 3 trigger return springs and a slide stop so these are good to know in addition to probably aquring a second one as a backup if I like the platform. 

and yes you assumed correctly,im in CA for I cant get the shadow unless I want to give up my first born on the used market. I dont have the decocker model, its the regular sp01 with manual safety. I techincally dont have it yet as I have 2 more days on the waiting period. 

Just wanted to check back in and thanks. Completed my project without too much cussing

The firing pin holder roll pin took a lot more force than I thought to get it back in

Basically completed the Cajun pro package with Dawson sights

eb0683c39208aeee13baf954275c4fb1.jpg28c33a8ac7a8200bfb3b655874040629.jpg