Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Notebook To Get?

According to information on the Internet, Apple already has a CPU that can run both OS-X and Windows XP. They are supposed to be launching the Intel based Apple line this year. I expect a desk top and PowerBook to be launched at the same time.

Lenovo are unveiling a new line of laptop/thinkpads in line with the Winter Olympics which they are sponsoring.

It may pay to wait a couple of months before purchasing something.

Lenovo could only market under the IBM logo for 18 months. My understanding is that the 18 months has expired and new laptops will not have the IBM logo on them. They are also making available some laptops that have only been available in China, so expect some prices to drop as the competition hits the USA shores.

Just one datapoint, but I've had a Toshiba M205 tablet for the last two years, and love it.

It may not be the fastest or biggest, but it has proven to be as bulletproof as any machine I've had (eg, 300,000 miles on airlines in those two years), it has been dropped, it has been rained on, it keeps ticking.

I get an honest 3.5 hours out of each battery, and the processor and drive are sufficient for me to use it as my "primary machine". Plus, it is a "tablet", which I get a *lot* of use from.

$.02

Bruce

From an IT standpoint, we always went with Dell or Toshiba. I personally have owned a Dell, and currently a HP Livestrong with the AMD 64bit Turion 2ghz.

I like the Livestrong PC a whole bunch. Have also looked at the Acer Ferarri.

I'll jsut add that froma portability and battery life standpoint the Teeny sony vaio T140 T240 T<etc.> ( I think they are up to T620 at this point and it has only been about 2 years the model line has been available) Just plain rock. Realisticly get between 6-8 hours of run time, the 1.2 Ghz processor handles web and word processing type stuff just fine, the screens are VERY nice, and it is TEENY and has a DVD/CD-rw drive in it rather than pluged in. All this and the keyboard is pretty near laptop standard sizes.

Not cheap though. But given what I have actually been using my "desktop replacement" style laptop for, I really wish I had a spare $1800 to spend on one.

If you ARE looking for a deskptop replacement and want the most bang for the buck, The sager laptops sold from powernotebooks.com They have held the top ratings position on resellerratings.com for essentially since reseller ratings was established. They are definitely desktop replacements, but they have a lot of stuff for not too much. The sagers are the same laptops the likes of alienware and voodoo rebrand and sell for $4k. Same stuff in the generic case from power notebooks costs about $1800.

If you are going for cheap as the primary motivator, what's good varies from month to month and they are all fairly so-so.

These machines are not out yet so there is no "still works" situation and there is no statement from Apple saying that their new X-86 hardware will not run alternate OS's.

It has always been assumed that the new Intel Apples will be dual boot machines and there is no way of knowing one way or the other until they are actually shipping.

Every developer version of OSX for X-86 has been hacked onto generic PC hardware withing days of it's release to the developers. There is a level of probablilty that approaches certainty that the reverse will be true if Apple and Intel don't allow the dual boot option in their architecture.

If they choose to disallow dual boot, it is going to make for a nice little cottage industry similar to Chips & Technologies success story back in the early eighties ;-)

Who wants to be a millionaire?

http://www.betanews.com/article/XP_Wont_Ru...iMac/1137003330

"With the announcement of the first Intel based Macs yesterday, many users have rejoiced in being able to dual-boot both Mac OS X and Windows. Unfortunately, this is not the case; due to Apple's use of the extensible firmware interface (EFI) rather than BIOS, current Windows releases will not run on the systems.

On Tuesday at Macworld, Apple senior vice president of worldwide product marketing Phil Schiller said the company would not specifically block the use of Windows on Mac hardware. Instead, limitations in Windows itself will prevent its use on the new MacBook Pro laptop and iMac."

The Beta IntelMac HW was BIOS based, so obviously it could be done.. if Apple wants to. It'll take a big hack-job to get 32-bit XP to run under EFI.

I missed that announcment. That is still not a huge impediment. It is pretty certain that XP in Virtual PC would run at native speed now so that may be good enough for most folks.

It will be happening if enough moolah can be made from a dual boot firmware hack that is commercially viable.

I missed that announcment. That is still not a huge impediment. It is pretty certain that XP in Virtual PC would run at native speed now so that may be good enough for most folks.

It will be happening if enough moolah can be made from a dual boot firmware hack that is commercially viable.

32/64 bit the issue with bios/efi, at least with XP. got to fondle the new 17" MacBook Pro at macworld yesterday...it is sweet, but man, that's alot of wine i could buy... :P

• 2 months later...

Interesting to note that apps running in X don't crash much, or at all, even on the formerly dreaded Intel hardware. That alone would make me wanna' develop for X instead of XP or even Longhorn. I really can't say that X is superior in security and virus invulnerability because it isn't the dominant desktop OS yet and it hasn't received the attention it will when that happens (notice I said when, not if).

I kinda' thimk' Steve made this move as part of an overall strategy and that Apple's recent shift of alliance to Intel, Sony, Disney and many more too numerous to mention may spell some big juju for the future of MS and their newfound allies over at AMD ;-)

The reason I say all this is based on one acronym that is about to change the face of your desktop computing expreience, DRM. Research it, think on it a bit and then tell me if you tend to agree or not. Don't respond until then though, as this is the harbinger of a real big paradigm shift and I don't think MS is gonna' win this one!

I've done a lot of research on DRM and talked to high honchos at a large number of content and technology providers. Neither Apple nor Microsoft nor Intel have the winning strategy there-- they are being driven entirely by Hollywood middlemen that are scared crapless they will have no jobs and no power if they can't hang onto their outmoded business models, yet can't think for the end consumer to save their lives.

I know all about the content wars being fought in the boardrooms right now, and at the moment only Intel is offering a DRM solution that can't be busted (once you are running a processor level DRM, you CANNOT play ANYTHING that doesn't contain authorization code that is validated). The truth is that the media sales flacks are actually warming to the idea of that type of system in their future.

MS wants DRM to be built into the OS which is why only AMD will entertain Bill's ideas on future hardware/software optimization alliances and the content providers are ALL running scared from the MS option, right toward a secure hardware DRM method.

Something else to keep in mind here is that Intel IS already implementing it's hardware DRM system right now. It's going onto the chips going into Apple's Intel machines and the newest iPods are going to follow suit. All of the content providers that are already making money from iTunes downloads and iPod video releases are onboard with this system (Sony, Disney and BMI/ASCAP to name a few).

At the moment there are several easy ways around the usage limits on downloadable media because the ownership info can be stripped from the content by re-processing and the hardware we play it on doesn't look for authorization info anyway. A processor level DRM system will fundamentally change the way we handle and can use entertainment content on our machines ;-/

Stop paying attention for a coupla' years here folks and ALL your new gear will be scanning ALL your content before it will play it and there will be no such thing as being "grandfathered in" just because you downloaded it before you bought that new notebook with Intel Inside ;-(