Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WSSC

rockyroadsaz

Hey Zack is the prize table going to be limited to just Centerfire entries again this year beings the Rimfire/PCC entries seem to make up a large portion of entries? I would also assume it will be order of finish?

On 2/22/2018 at 7:25 PM, ZackJones said:

It’s pretty close to that right now. Rimfire is hugely popular.

On 2/22/2018 at 6:10 PM, ZackJones said:

400+ guns registered in just over 24 hours.

$100/gun will do that for sure.  The WSSC fees in CA were expensive for us local "gun fodder", but I'm sure that was driven somewhat by hotel and related expenses for staff.  Notwithstanding the lower fees in FL I'd like to think there will be more sponsor representation and vendor participation.

Hey Zack is the prize table going to be limited to just Centerfire entries again this year beings the Rimfire/PCC entries seem to make up a large portion of entries? I would also assume it will be order of finish?

I hope they do. My first WSSC was last year and I only shot PCC and Rimfire. I missed the part in the book where it said PCC and Rimfire shooters didn’t get a trip to the prize table, so that was a sad surprise having waited around for the awards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is interesting to me that $100 per gun is considered a good price.   :/

I'm thinking that prize table must be pretty sweet, considering now much money is available to pay for things on it.

That isn't a complaint, note:  I'm hoping the prize table there IS really sweet.  But shooting 6 divisions for $600 seems like a lot of money for a Steel Challenge match where the match staff doesn't have much infrastructure to build (at all), the consumables list is basically "paint and a few 2x4s", and other than that they need to treat their ROs well.    Like I said, that should leave a huge amount of money for the prize table.

It always interests me to see places that DON'T have prize tables still having high-dollar amounts needed for match fees. 

Right now the WSSC has 441 guns listed---so there's 44,100 of income so far.  Match says it'll max out at 800, or $80,000 gross income.  Given buying discounts, match sponsorships, and so on, that should be an amazing prize table.

I do know that I was thinking about going, but I don't only want to shoot a couple of divisions for that kind of trip--and $400 and up just for match fees is too much for me.  Apparently I'm just cheap.  :)

• 3 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:23 AM, Thomas H said:

It is interesting to me that $100 per gun is considered a good price.   :/

I'm thinking that prize table must be pretty sweet, considering now much money is available to pay for things on it.

That isn't a complaint, note:  I'm hoping the prize table there IS really sweet.  But shooting 6 divisions for $600 seems like a lot of money for a Steel Challenge match where the match staff doesn't have much infrastructure to build (at all), the consumables list is basically "paint and a few 2x4s", and other than that they need to treat their ROs well.    Like I said, that should leave a huge amount of money for the prize table.

It always interests me to see places that DON'T have prize tables still having high-dollar amounts needed for match fees. 

Right now the WSSC has 441 guns listed---so there's 44,100 of income so far.  Match says it'll max out at 800, or $80,000 gross income.  Given buying discounts, match sponsorships, and so on, that should be an amazing prize table.

I do know that I was thinking about going, but I don't only want to shoot a couple of divisions for that kind of trip--and $400 and up just for match fees is too much for me.  Apparently I'm just cheap.  :)

You are correct!

You're just cheap!

Everyone thinks that matches only have to pay for consumables and the match should make a big profit, have a huge prize table, etc...  Truth is, matches have a lot of expenses, how much do you think it costs to rent the range (and possibly a practice range) at Talladega?  Per diem for out of town Range Officers, etc...  How much of the match fee will go towards buying new steel/replacements for the host club, who will put in a tremendous amount of work to put on a match this size.

There are plenty of threads here about match expenses, read some of them.

I'm hoping the prize table will be good, but that's not the reason to go to a match, even the match winners will barely cover their expenses.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 1:10 AM, Ming the Merciless said:

You are correct!

You're just cheap!

Everyone thinks that matches only have to pay for consumables and the match should make a big profit, have a huge prize table, etc...  Truth is, matches have a lot of expenses, how much do you think it costs to rent the range (and possibly a practice range) at Talladega?  Per diem for out of town Range Officers, etc...  How much of the match fee will go towards buying new steel/replacements for the host club, who will put in a tremendous amount of work to put on a match this size.

There are plenty of threads here about match expenses, read some of them.

I'm hoping the prize table will be good, but that's not the reason to go to a match, even the match winners will barely cover their expenses.

Ming, I've run Level II USPSA and Steel Challenge matches for a number of years now.  And I'm aware of the expenses that said matches incur. 

And I never said that I go to matches for the prize table, so arguing about that is irrelevant.

I said that $100 per division is a lot of money, and given the amount of money that this match is pulling in, the prize table should be awesome.  (I'll note that I never said that matches should make a big profit, so I'm wondering where that came from?) 

I don't know how much it costs to rent the range at Talladega specifically----but if you are renting the range and its equipment, then part of that fee would be for their steel and such.   As I said, the setup is minimal (you can set up the entire match in a half of a day easily), the equipment list is small, the consumables are straightforward, and they need to take care of their staff.    (Since when do you buy new steel for the range/club that is hosting the match?)  Compared to something like a major USPSA match (which takes much more time, effort, and equipment to build and run), an SC match has significantly fewer expenses.

Because from the competitor's side, they are shooting 8 stages of Steel Challenge in a half-day.  For $100.  That's expensive for most folks, compared to the costs they'd incur going to other places and shooting their major matches for 8 stages of Steel Challenge in a half-day.    It's the World shoot, so people will pay the money, obviously.  But I'm betting that instead of the 651 competitor entries that are currently listed, the match would have had more like the 800-level limit if the entry fee had been even something like $85. Or a four-gun package deal for $350.  Or...any one of a number of other things.  (As an example, A5 is having the first gun cost $75, with all guns after that being $25.  In their case, they are paying back to the competitors instead of having a prize table.  As such, they CAN keep their prices down.  But....again that's simply another way of saying what I originally said, which was "the prize table should be awesome.")

So again---$65,100 gross income is significant.   Given that (and match sponsorships and such), the prize table should be awesome. 

And since, when I go to an SC match, I want to shoot a number of guns, $100 per division adds up quickly.  Now, you might say I'm cheap, and hey, if you want to keep out the riff-raff like me (and all the other folks who love to shoot but can't just drop a ton of money on every match) then there you go.  If the point was to limit the match to only the people who will spend a bunch of money, then okay.  But....that doesn't seem to be the point.  Wasn't the point to get a ton of people shooting?

Considering I'm already shooting 12-14 major matches of various types this year (between Steel Challenge and USPSA), obviously I don't have a problem spending money--I just want to get the most bang for my buck. 

In other words, Ming, you seem to be making a lot of assumptions that are incorrect, and not actually addressing the actual point, which was:  $100 per entry for an SC match is a lot of money, adds up quickly if you want to shoot multiple guns (which most people want to do at a major SC match), and the prize table therefore should be awesome.

Given the costs of 'just getting there' (gas, lodging, meals, etc.) The difference between a $100 entry fee and a $85 entry fee... or even a $65 entry fee... is a drop in the bucket. Anyone who goes to a match for the prize table could probably save a lot of bucks by just buying the stuff.

But, with a $100 entry fee there should be a decent prize table... although that's not really the reason shooters attend a match of this type.

BTDT... USPSA # A55647 

• 3 weeks later...

Great, right before Bianchi...........Is there anyway to get back to not bunching up the large matches right on top of each other?  It was nice when it was the same time every year so you could plan to attend the large matches.  Not complaining but putting it out there.....

DougC

On 6/20/2018 at 12:33 PM, GOF said:

Given the costs of 'just getting there' (gas, lodging, meals, etc.) The difference between a $100 entry fee and a $85 entry fee... or even a $65 entry fee... is a drop in the bucket. 

If you want to shoot 6 divisions, there's a significant difference.   And that's one of the fun things about SC, you can shoot a number of different divisions at the same match.