Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie's ancillary questions

Frankly

First match in the Spring (it's frozen here) and I just got a smoking deal on a Howa 1500 action in 6.5 Creedmore in a KRG Bravo stock and ordered a Vortex Viper PST II 5-25x50 FFP MRAD. Warne rings, Already had an Atlas bipod, have 300 rounds of Hornady 140gr ELDM coming. So I didn't go out and drop $8k but still, it's real money.... 

I already know from USPSA and 3-gun... "Wait until you go to a match and see what other people are using!!!" 

But it's Winter and I can't help but internet shop and look for deals. Especially since I have a few months and can snag stuff if it pops up used or a good sale. 

What do I want to get? 

Muzzle Device ~ no silencer for me Commieland. I also don't want to drop $200 on a comp unless it butters my toast. 

Slings (I already have a Vickers/Viking with QDs from 3G)

Bags ~ figure I should get a small rear bag to start with since I need it in general. 

Rife case-backpack rig? Or wait? Is a fancy Eberlestock type any advantage or just a luxury? 

Shooting mat? I guess it's time to stop using leftover plastic bags and cardboard but what's the best mid-level one? 

Torque Wrench ~ the stock needs a 45 and 65 in-lb settings. And rings.... What's a good model/brand? Those fix-it sticks seem expensive for what they are. Need 1/2 for rings. 

Cleaning supplies... honestly I don't clean my AR or rec guns very often but I have a feeling I need to be more careful here... always use a bore guide, good rod, etc. For a 26" barrel do I want a 40" rod or ? Do people bring a cleaning set up to the range like the benchrest guys or after your barrel is broken in does it get left at home? 

I just get .30 cal brushes and rods for 6.5 Creedmore? 

Don't worry I won't over clean or mess up the crown. And if I'm using ELDM bullets what am I adding to the bore, what do I need to clean out? Copper or plastic or ? Any superior cleaners? (I've been using Ballistrol mostly, super gentle). 

Do I need a rangefinder to start with? Do I have to get a more expensive 1000 yard one with a computer? I sure as Heck am not buying a $600 Kestral out of the gate. 

What else do you bring to a match? a notebook, towel, cleaning/tool kit, safety and comfort items... and what else? 

My local range only gives me 100 yards and I've read elsewhere to sight it in and zero at 100. OK. Any particular type of targets to use? Any tricks in this regard? 

Thanks for all the sage advice Masters ;-p 

Edited by Frankly

You need 6.5 brushes, not .30 cal. Also a pump pillow and a TAD or Accuracy 1st squeeze bag will do.

Your sling is good to go. Just run it.

I wouldn’t worry with a “break-in” routine. Just clean it well to start, when you start to lose accuracy clean it then. I’ve done break-in on barrels and just shot barrels and there was no difference. You do want a long rod. I like Tipton or Dewey.

You don’t “need” a muzzle device, but a simple break will help. Careful, they can cause a dust issues.

Check out Precision Rifle Blog. A lot of things are preference and it’s difficult to know what you’ll like without trying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the first rules of the precision rifle world is to use correct cartridge nomenclature. Spelling it Creedmoor will get better answers to questions.

Next bit of advice would be to post this question over at Snipershide. You'll have more good advice than you can handle very quickly.

Oops thanks for the spellcheck doh!

Define “goober”... There is so much info out there I’ve been reading til 2am every night, a bit fatigued.

Edited by Frankly

if you let them know you're the new guy at your first couple of matches, lotsa people should help you out, with target distances, kestrel data and the like.

either get or borrow a chrono so you can see the actual velocity of your ammo out of your gun.  shoot at least 10 rounds and input that avg speed into a ballistics program along with the details of your load (bullet wt, ballistic coefficient).  this will give you theoretical drops.

i got the 'shooter' app for my phone, and with my chrono data and density altitude from my kestrel, my drops/elevation were real good out to 1200 although i need a lot of work reading the wind.

12 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

My question, where did you find a Howa Bravo? I haven't seen them available anywhere yet.

A "friend" enabler in the industry/Shotshow. I won't have for several weeks but I currently have a broken leg and it's 20 degrees out so it's a non issue. 

I understand that PRS isn't a big part of the Enos forum but wow there is a lot of info on Sniper's Hide to start with. 

Edited by Frankly

I went crazy buying bags when I started.  Three do almost everything I need. I use my Pump Pillow , Gamechanger,  and a small rear bag 99% of the time.  

I’d recommend you get a good set of binos, decent rangefinder,  a Kestrel with ballistic app, and a decent bag to carry it all in. I use a Gunslinger . That will get you started and be all you need for most matches. Eventually you’ll want a good tripod and spotting scope. 

Thanks guys. I've learned a lot in the past week starting with how to spell Creedmoor haha... I also found Snipers Hide which covers PRS topics more in depth so I'll ask my dumb 3G and pistol questions here at Enos and PRS over there.... 

Muzzle device - get one.   You don't have to spend a ton but spotting your misses is av important part of the Game.

Sling - use what you have.   You'll use it 99% of the time to walk from stage to stage.

Bags -  I've bought a ton of bags.   I minimized this year to two bags.  A rear bag and a fat bag.  I preffer armageddon gear but bags are personal preference.  Id start wuth a rear bag and a larger bag.  Like the fat bag.  Most guys will run a game changer.   Im probably the only guy who refuses to run them

Rifle bag.  Don't get an all in one bag and rifle pack.   It will slow you down and youll never use inbetween stages.  Most guys have separate packs for both. Unpack your rifle, sling it, throw on your pack.  Again personal preference.   However the bigger the bag you get the more crap you'll fill it with.   Not fun for the amount if walking you do in some matches. 

Shooting mat - get a cheap midway.  You'll never use it at a match.   Nice for the range. 

Torque wrench - i got mine at harbor  freight. 

Cleaning supplies - only clean when accuracy opens up.  Get 6.5 brushes and carbon fiber rod.  Also get a Chamber guide. I've used hoppes.  I see no reason to change. 

Electronics - most matches are known distance.   You wont need a range finder.  Id spend the money on a kestral.  Knowing your wind is crucial.  You don't have to go all out but get a kestral or surgery variant.   Also download one of the ballistics apps.  If you don't have a chrono get one. Makes life easier.   Or get a friend to loan you his. 

Get something to write your dope on for each stage.  Ive used armageddon gear here and painter tape.  You can get a cheap wrist coach.

There is a ton of stuff to buy.   I got involved in this game 5 years ago.  And in the last two years the sport had sky rocketed and so has the innovation and the amount of gear you can buy.  

Good luck.

I see you're from. the Rochester area, where I grew up.  Glad to see some matches up that way.

Edited by Tacticalpanda

• 2 weeks later...

Here I am a few weeks later, 150% over budget and set up for my first course and match in Spring, once the snow melts. 

I want to say thank you but realistically I shouldn't, I'm in the hole. 

To think I started by saying to myself, "I'd like to pick up a Ruger American in 308, drop it into one of those cool Magpul Hunter stocks and stick a Vortex Crossfire 3x9 on it" has now morphed to a chassis rifle with a 4-lb Vortex Razor and $1.50 per round ammo, plus $1000-plus of odd doo-dads and gadgets. 

Thanks a bunch!?

Edited by Frankly

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 12:27 AM, TonytheTiger said:

It's a sickness. It's possible, but unlikely, that more shooting will cure it. Or it might not.

yeah at the end of the day it's the indian and not the arrow, but having nice stuff sure doesn't hurt, and somehow there is always something else out there we just have to have...

• 3 weeks later...

Broke my Tibia Jan 4, got my walking boot a few days ago and went shooting today.... 

Two months and many thousands $$$$ later... damn it! (Actually the scope is twice the cost of the rifle.) Damn PRS is going to be a five-figure sport. 

20180308_howaprsriflegunshooting_0655.jpg

Edited by Frankly

On the muzzle brake, I would also consider getting one of those blast deflectors/directors or whatever they're called.  They're very nice to have when you're at a range or on a line for training.  And yeah, bolt guns and optics can get pretty pricey.  I just rebarrelled my AX/Deviant with a Proof 6.5 CR and picked up a new SB 5-25 PMII.  Planning to screw it together this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Been out shooting even though I'm using a cane and the snow is still a foot deep. PITA but still fun. 

Budget has been blown to smithereens... ammo, Kestrel, rangefinder, used Vortex Razor, larger tripod, etc. 

To think I originally was just going to drop a Ruger American into a Magpul stock and call it good.... 

11 hours ago, bluegrasspicker said:

Glad to hear you're up and about.

I hate to do this to you, but it might be time to look into.....

Reloading!

(get the wallet back out)

Shut Up!

I have a stash of Hornady 140 ELDM to start with, caught some sales....

You can't afford NOT to reload!  You'll actually be SAVING money!

Once you have a pile of left over brass from your current ammo and throw some money into an Rockchucker and some dies, you'll be shooting for $.50/round on the next batch.

Of cour$e, you'll want to buy component$ in bulk    :^)

(the wallet will be back in your hand before you even know it---like it has a mind of its own)