Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

95 gr 9mm bullet for steel

tomv

I found some old threads on the forum in which people were using 95 gr .380 bullets over high charges of HS6 for steel challenge. Is this still favored for this application?

I shoot steel plates at a regular man on man indoor match all Winter here in CT. Plates are standard 8" round at about 15 yards. Do the light bullets have enough energy to knock these down?

NO they don't have enough steam to do it reliably. I found out the hard way at the 2015 WSSC in florida. 

For knockdown steel/plates i use 115gr. heads at 130 pf for more energy transfer. I use 95gr. for static steel challenge matches. You just have to ding them.

Yep I bet if you reread those threads they are probably about steel challenge which you do not knock them down just hit/ding them.

since there is no power factor in SC you can load some pretty light /baby fart loads if you can get your gun to run them consistency.   light springs, light oil and polished rail/slide fit  to mention a few things equal light recoil, flat shooting guns equal speed in target acquisition

my recipe  is 95 grn  eggilstion  in Zombie green :) , mixed range brass, with 3.4 grn of bullseye at 1.020 OAL in a PC M&P with Apex barrel   I was actually  able to run them with 3.0 BE with a well broke in stock barrel but had to up it when I went to a tight fitting Apex. 

YMMV

Edited by xpierrat

43 minutes ago, xpierrat said:

Yep I bet if you reread those threads they are probably about steel challenge which you do not knock them down just hit/ding them.

since there is no power factor in SC you can load some pretty light /baby fart loads if you can get your gun to run them consistency.   light springs, light oil and polished rail/slide fit  to mention a few things equal light recoil, flat shooting guns equal speed in target acquisition

my recipe  is 95 grn  eggilstion  in Zombie green :) , mixed range brass, with 3.4 grn of bullseye at 1.020 OAL in a PC M&P with Apex barrel   I was actually  able to run them with 3.0 BE with a well broke in stock barrel but had to up it when I went to a tight fitting Apex. 

YMMV

seems like those are screaming, yeah?

For knock down steel I prefer heavier bullets.  I'm assuming Open sing you asked about HS-6.  With an Open gun, I'd use 124gr for knockdown steel.  Another reason is velocity.  I shoot at clubs that have a max of 1250fps for steel.  That's minor with anything other than a 135 or 147.  I find that 140PF is the minimum to knock steel over fast.

I shoot a lot of 95 cast / powder coated boolits and for the record they will knock down 8” steel plates and pepper poppers quite easily. I’ve got several loads all loaded at 1.030” COAL and ALL of these loads will knock steel down.

• 9mm - 95 Grain LFP bullet, PC, Glock 34 with comp:
  • N320- 5.2, 130 PF
  • HS6 - 7.6, 132 PF
  • HS6 - 7.8, 135 PF
  • WSF - 6.0, 130 PF
  • Clays - 3.8, 120 PF
  • Tite Group - 4.6, 127 PF
  • Sport Pistol - 4.8, 128 PF

Disclaimer, these loads are mine and not meant to be trusted as factory published loads. If you choose to use these  loads you do so at your own risk!

Certainly heavier bullets will allow the shooter to be sloppier with their aim. However, if you hit the plate in the center or higher the 95s work fine.

Edited by igolfat8

There have been lots of debates against bullet weights and which has more "knock down" power. Do the math and weigh all you want ... but shoot a high velocity 95 against a slower moving 124 and witness for yourself which one will slap the plate down with more authority.

My bet is there is a huge difference in the ability of a jacketed bullet meant for .380 velocities and a lead bullet to effectively transfer energy to the plate when moving at really high velocity. That said, I've never tested that theory.

19 hours ago, Brewski said:

My bet is there is a huge difference in the ability of a jacketed bullet meant for .380 velocities and a lead bullet to effectively transfer energy to the plate when moving at really high velocity. 

I load Sierra 90 grainers from their factory seconds outlet..... and 100gn lead semi-wadcutters....both make plates fall over when you use enough velocity.... about 1300fps is minimum for reliable function in my 2011's.

My thinking is this - a lead bullet within a certain hardness range would simply fully pancake against the plate and thereby transfer all its kinetic energy to the plate. A lead bullet that is too hard might fragment at really high velocity as would a jacketed bullet meant for lower velocities, resulting in lost energy as the fragments fly off into space. It may be that if you drive the bullet fast enough you can overcome the lost energy with increased velocity. However, you want to find the sweet spot where a load has all the energy needed to drop the plate - and no more - is fully transferred to the plate resulting in the lowest possible recoil.