Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting In Your Fiber Optic Sights

surfmaster

I would like to ask what's your top reference point for your fiber optic fronts sights when you sight in your guns? Do you use the top of the front sight blade or do you use the top of the fiber optic rod? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Surfmaster,

Whether its a fiber optic rod or a tritium sight insert, always sight in using the top of the front site blade. The "dot" is not for aiming, but to allow you to see the front sight and pick the sight up better during the arc of recoil.

Hope this answers your question.

The hole in the Microdot is designed so that if you sight in using the top of the blade the dot will be centered top to bottom in the notch of a Bomar rear when the top of the front sight is aligned with the top of the rear sight. For close in stuff if you center the dot in the square notch you will be dead on.

15 yds and under the dot. beyond 15-20 yds the top of the front post. I sighted the gun in using the top of the front post and have found that the gun will shoot 1"-1.5" lower using the dot as opposed to the top of the post out to about 20 yds.

I find the dot too big (can obscure aim point on tgt) at longer shots and because I try (most times) to slow down spits beyond 15 yds I have the time to fine focus on the top of the post. 15 yds and closer the FO really helps my OAE (old arsed eyes) stay tracking.

Dawson .110 w with the .60 FO the post is centered with ample amount of daylight on either side for good sight alignment with a BMCS rear.

I guess I'm the oddball of the bunch. I use a 3 dot system with my FO covering the center of the target. My rear dots are at the upper inner corners of the rear sight so my front sight is sticking up high.

The common problem with the Beretta Elite II rear sight was that it was too low so shots all ended up low. This was how I compensated for the problem instead of buying a taller rear sight.

splashdown

I guess I too am one of the oddballs. I use a large (.135") front fiber optic. The dot fills up the rear notch at arms length. If I can see all of the dot then my sights are aligned. I shoot it like an Open gun dot. I just put the dot in the center of the target.

I tried one of the thin front posts with the tiny tube, but found it too slow for me. I guess to each his own.

post-1058-1121514982_thumb.jpg